• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Would you still buy this phone knowing what you know now?

Would you still get this phone knowing what you know now?

• Total voters
Yes! I would buy it again.

The size thing is personal. I've got fairly big hands and I'm ok with how it fits in my hand.

I generally use mobile phones as data devices (internet, email, multimedia,...) and so this form factor is perfect for me. Almost a tablet and it fits in my pocket.

My previous phone was the Samsung Captivate, which I hated. Problems with gps, wifi, lag, etc. So I was concerned that choosing another Samsung phone would be a mistake. Glad I took the risk, as the Note has proved to be exactly what I was looking for.

Upvote 0
Would you drive the same car or bike that you drive now after knowing what you know now?

If you aren't convinced by holding the Note in store and drooling at the screen then it's probably not for you.

Actually for me, the car analogy doesn't work. :) A few days after purchasing my car I started noticing all the little "things" that I still don't like about it... cheap interior materials, not enough power, etc.

Somehow I didn't notice those things when I saw it all shiny and new in the showroom, and on the test drive!

For my Note, it doesn't seem as snappy as when it was new... probably jus got used to the speed, and any lag whatsoever is starting to be noticeable.

That said, there is nothing out there better for "me" right now... the size of the Note, and the s-pen are the reasons. So no regrets, and I would buy it again in a second if I lost it.

Reactions: landovr
Upvote 0
Yes i would buy it again in a heartbeat, with the only caveat being that since we are so close to the GS III reveal, i would wait to see what the GS III is going to look like, then decide which one to go with.

+1 to this, sort of.

I bought the Note on pre-order because I was due for an upgrade in February, but I didn't want to wait until June/July/Aug for the SGS3 to come out. So, I'd be lying if I said that (at this point) I'd instantly go out and buy the Note all over again.

In the end, all the Note will likely have on the SGS3 is the larger screen size and a wacom pen; both cool features, but not likely to fully counterbalance other advancements we'll see in the SGS3.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I acknowledge and appreciate that the Note is the best phone out now, it won't likely be so for very much longer in any way other than screen size, and for this reason, I would not likely rebuy.

Just my honest $.02

-Ryan

Upvote 0
The only thing that would sway me towards something like the S3 would be double battery life. I don't mean having a bigger battery but rather more savings so i don't need to worry about having to disable GPS and Wifi when trying to conserve power. I think battery life is actually one of the most important features of any phone. Without good battery life all the added bells and whistles just eat away power that is needed to actually make calls.

Upvote 0
What feature makes the note "far too dated"?

I see people say stuff like this due to tech blogs chasing the newest rumors. The one x is coming to att with only 16gbs and no option to expand. That's not out yet and that feels dated.

Also no quad core lte chips are available yet and even when they are what's the difference for a phone. In fact its next to impossible to find quality apps that even use dual core yet. The quad core phones only score better in graphic benchmarks not real life performance.

BTW I have an infuse 4g that was "dated" a month after purchase. Guess what? The galaxy s2 phone still does exactly what my infuse does. The extra core doesn't make a difference.

Maybe I wont beat the nerd herd down at the gas and sip on Saturday night with the benchmark app. ...oh no.

Upvote 0
The difference in processor performance is staggering and you can bet it will have an impact on how long the phone is supported with updates. There is nothing wrong with the note, I think it's a great phone, it's just older. I would wager that a "Note 2" or whatever they decide to call it will be announced before the end of this summer. For me 2 years is just too long to be stuck with year old tech.

Upvote 0
The difference in processor performance is staggering and you can bet it will have an impact on how long the phone is supported with updates. There is nothing wrong with the note, I think it's a great phone, it's just older. I would wager that a "Note 2" or whatever they decide to call it will be announced before the end of this summer. For me 2 years is just too long to be stuck with year old tech.

I think what tmaxey1 was hinting at though is that Android OS doesn't really even fully or properly utilize dual core processors, so although Quad core sounds lovely, it wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot to improve the general UX, at least not in immediate future.

If I'm speaking out of turn here, sorry; just my interpretation.

-Ryan

Upvote 0
The difference in processor performance is staggering.

So why not hold out for octa core processors since quad core technology itself is pretty dated. :rolleyes:

I would bet they already have octa chip designs locked away in a vault but technology has to be released in stages for maximum profitability. And in another year they might have 64GB internal memory so maybe you should hold out for that.

Upvote 0
I think what tmaxey1 was hinting at though is that Android OS doesn't really even fully or properly utilize dual core processors, so although Quad core sounds lovely, it wouldn't do a whole heck of a lot to improve the general UX, at least not in immediate future.

If I'm speaking out of turn here, sorry; just my interpretation.

-Ryan

I guess I thought we were comparing it to the one xl (dual core s4 Krait). I have no specific love for the marketing phenom that is "quad core". I'm talking CPU generations.

Upvote 0
I guess I thought we were comparing it to the one xl (dual core s4 Krait). I have no specific love for the marketing phenom that is "quad core". I'm talking CPU generations.

The way I see this processor issue is this..... if I pick up and use the phone and I can't tell how many cores the processor has or what speed each core is running or if the phone has a campanion core running then I it doesn't matter enough to care.

I see your point about upgrades in the future for phones with less processor tech. However I don't see that as an issue for a while on a dual core phone. Especially the note. But even in this case I don't feel a newer version of android is needed to make my phone experience all that different. All the hype is around ICS. I do not see any major features that I would use that really matters that much. I may be in the minority here. And I use my phone often. I just don't see how having ICS would change my day to day phone experience.

Now screens...that's something I see and notice everyday. Screen tech does change my user experience.

Reactions: Fred G. Vader
Upvote 0
The way I see this processor issue is this..... if I pick up and use the phone and I can't tell how many cores the processor has or what speed each core is running or if the phone has a campanion core running then I it doesn't matter enough to care.

I see your point about upgrades in the future for phones with less processor tech. However I don't see that as an issue for a while on a dual core phone. Especially the note. But even in this case I don't feel a newer version of android is needed to make my phone experience all that different. All the hype is around ICS. I do not see any major features that I would use that really matters that much. I may be in the minority here. And I use my phone often. I just don't see how having ICS would change my day to day phone experience.

Now screens...that's something I see and notice everyday. Screen tech does change my user experience.

I'm with you. Plus, since the note doesn't have any major issues that need to be addressed, it wouldn't even really matter if Samsung did start neglecting it.

Upvote 0
I voted no only because of the GS3 release hitting the horizon. In all honesty, I would have more than likey said 'maybe', but that's not a selection on the poll. I would do quite a bit of research regardless before I can make up my mind on what I would eventually settle with. Of course a minimum screen size of 5" is and will be the norm for me now (the GNote has spoiled me there). The s-pen is an added benefit for me too. I'm so used to stylus input over the years, it's still second nature to pull it out and work with it (or any pen in my hand for that matter).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones