• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WOW battery drain before my very eyes

miltk

Nov 26, 2009
i just got an lg g3 replacement - BRAND NEW

i had my data backed up on the sd card from the old lg. so i inserted the sd card and restored everything. it took a longer time than expected. the result of all this is i've been fiddling with the new lg for about 3 hours, what with all the backups, dickering with some apps adjustments, and the phone resetting about 3 x.

during this time i started to notice my battery drain with every passing minute. at one point 85%, then 55%/ one time the phone turned itself off and when i started up, the battery went from 55 to 25%!!!!. this was no normal restart as i had already completed all the necessary initializations. in fact the phone turned off twice unexpectedly.

nothing noticeable in battery usage except dex2oat, which i read is to be expected initially. stuff like wifi and bluetooth, brightness, location et all are all turned off.

i'm getting a little worried about this drainage as i had NEVER experienced this kind of thing before(and i have switch phones a few times)

any help would be welcome.,,,,or am i worrying about a normal process with initial phone diddling

thx

If you entered your gmail already the automatic update in google playstore is set on devices to automatic update when on wifi that causes a lot of drainage since it try to update all the apk at once including gmail,facebook,google play services,google music,and every game apk that need updating so my best guess and not really sure but it was updateing every apk right behind you as you restored each apk on to you mobile device.
Just assuming that, I'm not sure if thats what's causing it to drain and behave like that,but I had come across something similar to this on a few devices before and the drainage was caused by this,and the restarts where a result of overheating;sorry,I ment to say}give turning off auto update and set to(do not update automatically)a try,you can always update them manually later on...please reply the result.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do batteries still need to "bed in" before they reach full capacity and holding power?

NO!!!

that is a fallacy left over from the 1st moon launch days.

Lithium-Ion batteries have no such problems.

As for Google Play store doing an automatic update of all apps, that depends on whether you, as the user of your account, have gone into Settings ( on the web site, not the phone's system settings ) and clicked on "DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE" which is the only way I will play that game.

If the app is working for you, why bother with updates? a lot of those cause more problems than they solve.
I never update, not ever, unless the app starts to misbehave.

Reactions: ThePhizzle
Upvote 0
thx guys...i returned the g3 to amazon.

i had charged the device to 100% and when i woke up i turned off all possible drain processes and let the phone sit idle. it lost 10% in 30min. during that time it restarted 4x. when i came back 4hrs later it was sitting at 2%.

i googled. apparently a lot of battery issues with the g3 if one is unlucky enough to get a dud. this was mine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones