• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wow! Embarrassed by my Captivate!

Before deciding to hack up your phone with a "lagfix", be sure to read this:

Lagfix - CapFAQ

The "fix" in "lagfix" is misleading as people are often lead to believe that it's either "official" or a singular thing. They are neither. They are a variety of dirty hacks that come with consequences and risks. Yes, you make your phone faster... but you might not like the side-effects.

Upvote 0
I'd be careful with Launcher Pro..lotta talk that it is the culprit in the random shut down issue

I don't think Launcher Pro is the only culprit in the random shutdown thing. I have a brand new Captivate and I have a couple of apps from android market (none of which are luancher pro) and haven't rooted yet and I have random shut downs. Mine is the kind that does it only with a full charge.

There's a lot of different scenarios for the random shut down. I'm in the school that thinks it's due to apps crashing the OS.

Upvote 0
I don't now what phone you're using. Either you aren't using the Captivate OR you are grossly exaggerating the lag on the phone.

I agree.

Actually I have two Captivates, one that I left un-rooted and use as my main phone since I don't use a landline. This phone is great, quite fast for being stock out of the box, with some optimization but nothing major.

The second Captivate I bought for the specific purpose of being my "test mule". An Android phone that I can root, and try all different kinds of mods on. If it goes down for a day, and I'm too busy to fix it I have the other one to use. Even though I have four activated Android phones, I really like the Captivates and therefore decided to dedicate one to modding until I have it exactly the way I want it.

Upvote 0
I would stay away from Ryan's One Click Lag Fix. My experience was less than stellar.

The OCLF adds an EXT2 partition that is prone to fragmentation. Over time, my phone slowed down after installing the OCLF. This slow down was really noticeable after installing a number of apps and updating apps in market.

I would look for custom roms or the voodoo lag fix using ext4. EXT4 partitions don't fragment the way ext2 do.

Oh ya, the weird thing was after I uninstalled the OCLF app/partition, and then did a hard reset on my phone the Galaxy now flies. I HAVE NO LAG...EVER (for the last month)

Upvote 0
I would stay away from Ryan's One Click Lag Fix. My experience was less than stellar.

The OCLF adds an EXT2 partition that is prone to fragmentation.

Moreover, it layers this EXT2 partition on top of the problematic RFS filesystem using a virtualization system. This complicated trick is fragile and creates a bigger target for something to go horribly wrong.

I would look for custom roms or the voodoo lag fix using ext4. EXT4 partitions don't fragment the way ext2 do.
While I agree that EXT4 is better than EXT2, and I'll also add that Voodoo's method doesn't layer a virtual filesystem onto a real one. the big problem with Voodoo is that it replaces your kernel with a hacked-up one that is based upon old Samsung code. They keep finding ways that this old code is inferior to the current stock kernel and bugs/issues keep being discovered. Voodoo also doesn't uninstall this kernel when you "remove" the lagfix. In fact, they don't provide any means to get your stock kernel back if you decide you don't want Voodoo anymore.

Read here:
Lagfix - CapFAQ

Upvote 0
I'd be careful with Launcher Pro..lotta talk that it is the culprit in the random shut down issue

My third Captivate (the one I have now) I have been using launcherpro+ since the second I pulled it out of the box and it has never shut itself off on its own and it has been a few months. Of course I am also not running the stock ROM, that may or may not have anything to do with it.

There is actually a theory floating around with a few underground devs that the random shutdowns my be tied to the malfunctioning GPS..

Now back to the topic. There is a dude here, I can't remember his name, but in his signature it says, "If you dont like your Android phone, you only have yourself to blaim." That is very true. Although we cant help the broken GPS and stuff, if you dont like the stock music player, change it. If you dont like the browser, change it. If you dont like the launcher, change it. You make it your phone, that is how Android is different from the others. You can change it.

Now that I have really played with my phone, and changed just about everthing there is to change, I am pretty happy with the performance speed of about everthing it does. As long as I have a good signal (3g or wifi), web browsing and apps are very quick.

My guess is to the OP. If he is using the EVO, then he is on 4g, and that IS going to be faster than AT&T 3g. Secondly, You may have had other stuff running, widgets going, etc... who knows. 3rd, in big crouded places like stadiums, you are going to experience a dramatic drop in data bandwidth with all those iPhoners out there gobbling up the bandwidth. Then a dude next to you running on Sprints 4g is of course going to have better data speeds, there is probably less than 20% of the people in that stadium pulling data from Sprint. I can't whait for Verison to start selling iPhones...

Upvote 0
Videos are fine, but until my Captivate works like that I will continue to be a paying beta tester for Samsung and AT&T. I bought this phone on day one (July 18th). How long until Froyo, GPS and whatever other fix is on my phone and it finally works properly? Somehow I doubt we will see it before the New Year. If so, Sprint here I come.

Also, I want the real official fix. Rooting and other "one click" fixes are unacceptable.
Then maybe you shouldn't have bought the phone on launch day. And if you don't want to fix the phone yourself, why are you here?

Upvote 0
I want to add that I also experience the same thing. OCLF used to make my phone faster... I find that after uninstalling the lagfix, my phone is faster...

The OCLF adds an EXT2 partition that is prone to fragmentation. Over time, my phone slowed down after installing the OCLF. This slow down was really noticeable after installing a number of apps and updating apps in market.

Oh ya, the weird thing was after I uninstalled the OCLF app/partition, and then did a hard reset on my phone the Galaxy now flies. I HAVE NO LAG...EVER (for the last month)

Upvote 0
Then maybe you shouldn't have bought the phone on launch day. And if you don't want to fix the phone yourself, why are you here?

Sorry to offend someone as wise as you ;-) My old phone happened to break on launch day so I took a chance rather than pay 50 for a replacement. I come to this forum for information and answers, not to learn how to hack my phone that I desperately need for my livelihood. You may not be worried about data loss or bricking, but I am.

I've contacted samsung and ATT to register my complaints. Not that it will do any good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones