1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

WoW Just Played With A Samsung Charge..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Silent Thunder, May 18, 2011.

1. Silent Thunder

Silent Thunder Well-Known Member

What a cheap piece of junk that thing is. The screen is nice and contrasty but the rest of it looks nasty and cheap. Im shocked, I really wanted to like it too.

EgoDogg likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. seymour_glass

seymour_glass Lurker

i haven't gotten to handle one yet, but from what i have read, heard from other folks, and my experience on other samsung running android devices, i am not envious at all of the charge. hopefully gingerbread will come soon and i will be very happy with my tbolt.

3. jcnyc

jcnyc Android Enthusiast

Ya i went to the store and played with one too. Same opinion. Great screen but piece of crap otherwise. Cheap build, slow speeds and a shitty ui. The galaxy s2 is what we're all waiting for.

4. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast

My buddy got the Charge over the weekend. I have the thunderbolt and we did some side by side usage comparisons. Charge screen is very nice inside but, outside it really doesn't have a noticeable edge over the thunderbolt. That has always been a claim for the Charge - that the screen would be so much easier to read outside.

Same with the battery...we did side by side usage tests, and the battery also has a slight edge over the thunderbolt, but not much.

Reception - Calls sound slightly better on the Thunderbolt. Data - Thunderbolt beat the charge in every test done through speedtest.net. Side by side, same area.

Charge screen looks great, no doubt about that. But the other factors Thunderbolt has over charge - including nearly flawless htc...It's not enough...

5. thorthunderblt

thorthunderblt Android Enthusiast

I am wondering why this phone is $50 more then the TB was when it first came out. $300 for a 2 year contract phone. That just seems nuts to me.

6. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

It's because it's a LTE Droid branded phone. I think it's a rip off as well, but people will pay it if they want it

7. thorthunderblt

I think that is just nuts. So the TB is not a LTE branded phone?

I wonder if this price will be the the future price of smartphones. If so GREAT SCOTT.

8. G2L

G2L Newbie

Don

Bramsy likes this.
  9. Sketchr

Sketchr Android Enthusiast

Right. The TB is an android, but not a "Droid".:rolleyes:

10. thorthunderblt

OHHHHHHHHH okay got it. Duh Samsung "DROID" lol.

11. Silent Thunder

Silent Thunder Well-Known Member

12. otter

otter Well-Known Member

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. MY gf is out of town and planning to buy either a tbolt or a charge and when she gets home we're going to swap. She will have my D1 which is rooted and I will get the phone she picks up. Fortunately it looks like both the charge and bolt are rootable.

1. Is the screen of both the same gorilla glass as D1?
    2. How is battery life compared to D1? I heard there are some problems w/ tbolt and reboot and battery drain. Has that been fixed? D1 battery life is a joke, but one that I've learned to laugh at and accept
    3. What's the max it can be overclocked to? I'm running at 800 on D1 and that's fine, but heck I'd like to try 1.5Mhz or something like that :)
    4. Is the tbolt WVGA display screen the same as D1? (edit, yes i see it's the same. too bad it wasn't nicer, but I guess that's what the charge is all about)

13. Vance

Vance Android Enthusiast

I have played with both and researched both extensively before buying the TB (the Charge being out earlier, then pulled, made it easy since there were lots of hands-on videos). The screen IS gorgeous on the Charge and I do like the HDMI out option, and the form factor feels good in the hand. But everything else goes the TB's way. I like the heft, the build quality (don't want a plastic-y phone for that price), the capacitive buttons rather than physical ones, and the UI on the Charge would drive me nuts, even if I put Launcher Pro on it.

But the REAL kicker was the increased RAM. Maybe I give this too much weight, but after coming from D1 I want all the RAM I can get. When a lot is going on, it gives me comfort to know I got a LOT of extra memory to handle it.

Note, I didn't play with the Charge until after I had bought the TB, but my hands-on since then confirmed what the reviews were saying.

14. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest

OMG that answers my question about the Charge commercial that claims it's the "first droid to be infused with 4GLTE". Such a lame claim too. I guess some people will go out and buy it thinking it's the first 4GLTE phone from Verizon.

15. rcyphermd

rcyphermd Android Expert

I own both the TB and charge. I am selling my TB. I know everyone has different opinions about what is important. For me, I love the lightweight feel of the charge. It is very comfortable in my pocket, not like a brick dead weight. Screen is absolutely stunning. The real kicker is the battery life. I have had mine on battery only for 15 hours now and am at 27%, with fairly heavy use of phone, calls, texts, videos and mail, and web surfing! The UI is fine....just different. I really got tired of babying the TB battery. I had to constantly turn things off and worry if I had enough juice. A real pain when traveling, even with an extra battery. Not a troll, just trying to be objective. If you want a light weight phone, stunning screen, 4g, and great battery life, the charge is the best right now.

Taking offers on a flawless TB, 2 stock batteries, 1 seidio battery, and seido wall charger.

16. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast

I don't think $50 more for the Charge is so outrageous when you allow for the included 32 GB SD card. My biggest hangup with the Charge (assuming root will fix most other things) is the lack of a notification LED. :eek:

17. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice

Personal feelings as to the intent of this thread aside.

Glad you have a phone you enjoy but seeing as this thread (title and original post) really have nothing to do with the TB and that putting it in the appropriate section would only incite a riot....

/thread

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews