• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WOW! when 4G works, its AMAZING

jcthorne

Jun 4, 2010
Houston
I have had the EVO since launch day. Live and work in Houston and 4G might as well be non-existant. Does not work near my home or my office in the Energy Corridor. Heck, it does not work at the Sprint service center on Hwy 6. Was pretty disillusioned with the 4G thing as another useless sales gimmic....Until yesterday.

We are in Ft. Worth, at the Will Rogers center near downtown for a car show event. 4G works here. Even inside the exhibit hall I have 3 bars of 4G. In the RV lot in our motorhome I have 4 bars. All I can say is WOW.

I have used PDAnet for a connection on my laptop, watched the evening news from home via sling, read email and just for fun used sprinttv and tv.com to watch some vids. Instant access and fast speeds both on the phone and on the laptop.

Some other features I noted as well. While on PDAnet on the laptop, the phone, including data access works normally without intrupting the data connection for the laptop. PDAnet's onscreen SMS applet is cool as well (SMS messages pop up on your computer screen while connected. you can even respond to them).

I really look forward to actually having REAL 4G service in Houston someday. Someday when it works rather than just being advertised. Where it works, its truly awsome.

I'm in Baltimore which was the first 4g market. Sometimes i get full bars of 4g coverage. However, I am just not seeing this blazing speed. Its almost the same as 3g to me. I'm not talking about one of those speed test either, i am talking real live applications such as surfing on the internet. Especially after 2.2, i was hoping that it was going to make it better. But when they added the ability to see flash content, my phone became laggy even with 4g.

Upvote 0
I was in St. Louis a few weeks ago. There was no 4g coverage in Chesterfield, but it was great out by the Airport. I got spoiled for those two days! Hopefully your college will have coverage.

I'm right on the edge of the 4g coverage given to St. Louis, I've gotten a connection several times but its been slower than 3g. I'll be heading back to college in a couple weeks and its a bit further into the coverage, I'm hoping i can get a consistent signal there.

Upvote 0
How do I turn on 4g? I live near downtown orlando 5 miles away. I got to wireless and networks and turn on 4g and it says scanning. It said 4g available but wont get on it. Anyone know about this.

5 miles in which direction from downtown? I live right near Lake Lucerne, it barely touches 4G there, but heading toward Eola and then Winter Park, you should get connection.
Also had some Evo friends confirm 4G around the airport side of town.

If you have 4G on, itll auto connect during the scan, youll get a notification: 4G Now Connected, or in the wireless settings under 4G itll show Sprint as connected.

See this thread for more info: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/116685-4g-orlando-fl.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones