1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Writing custom PRLs...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Apache Thunder, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder Android Enthusiast

Another usefull tidbit of information. CDMA Workshop/QPST don't seem to work this phone. So I had to figure out how to use a Sprint PRL on my Boost phone.

I discovered an alternate way for this phone that turned out to be easier then using CDMA Workshop or QPST. :D

First off find the prl you want to use. In this case I used the latest Sprint PRL. Put it on your SD card. (root directory would be best). Make sure it has a PRL extension. If not, then you may not have a valid PRL. The PRL files normally used with CDMA Workshop and QPST can be used with this method so they should already have the PRL extension. ;)

Second use this dialer code to access a hidden menu:

##775#

It will prompt you for your MSL. Enter your MSL (you must know your MSL to do this). You will be presented with a menu that displays "Update PRL".

Press it to expand it.

Assuming you have a correct PRL file, it should display it somewhere in the middle of the screen. Select it, then hit ok.

Above the "Update PRL" menu option there is small text in the top right corner that says "MENU" in all caps. Press it and commit changes.

The phone should reboot and your PRL should be updated.

Voila! Custom PRL on your HTC Design 4G. Should work with other HTC phones as well, but only tested it on this one. :D

To reset back to the stock PRL, simply update your PRL in the About Phone menu.

MIGzNYC, gkak, patsfann and 11 others like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. smith058

smith058 Android Expert

Good job figuringthis out thanks... But what prl do we need... Where do we find them. A Tad bit more help please :-D

3. Apache Thunder

Looks like someone posted a collection of Sprint PRLs.

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/540260-faster-prls-3.html#post4424380

I would recommend the 60687 one as that is one that most Sprint users are on. If your on a Boost phone that is. Using Sprint PRLs on a Sprint phone probably won't net you a big difference in performance. But some of the ones like 11114 for example may be for corporate users and may have access to better towers. If there are better towers in your area that is.

I've noticed better signal when using the 60687 prl on my Boost phone. Only on 3G though. I think 4G uses something else.

MIGzNYC, pl0323, yacklounge and 3 others like this.
  4. smith058

smith058 Android Expert

want your msl ????
    case sensitive...

for ADB:
    adb shell getprop ril.MSL

for terminal emulator:
    getprop ril.MSL

***EDIT***
    scratch that, not working for me... must be diferant for ics:thinking:

so, Apache Thunder.... how do we get our msl

***EDIT***
    this app works great... very easy... must be rooted
    MSL Reader

patsfann likes this.
  5. Apache Thunder

I got mine by viewing the activation instructions boost gave me when I switched to this phone.

If the adb trick doesn't work you'll have to try the alogcat method.

6. smith058

smith058 Android Expert

thanks, was attempting the alogcat... but found this app while attempting a few times.

this app works great... very easy... must be rooted
    MSL Reader

DaddyZap likes this.
  7. durak

durak Member

thanks for link to prls. 01115 and 60687 are money!

8. ##775# is not working for me. is there any other way? I really want to do this. Thanks for any help.

9. jackbquick123

jackbquick123 Well-Known Member

this is only way that I know how to do this. I have tried this rooted and unrooted and it gave me access to that menu.

10. I'm assuming it is because I'm running the updated leak ROM from sdx. I'm with sprint so I'm just waiting for an official release.

11. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Member

Try ##3282# this the one that works for me stock or custom rom... Sorry but that one won't let you change your prl.. ##775# doesn't work, again so does any one know the code for stock rooted sprint design..

12. Apache Thunder

PRLs do not get changed when flashing roms in CWM. What you could do is run a CWM backup of your phone, then flash EvilKingdom or another Boost rom using CWM. Then do the secret code which should then work correctly. Then you can change your PRL. Once you have a PRL you like, simply run CWM to restore your backup to get back to the correct rom. ;)

13. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Member

Well I have to sprint design. I switched bact to full stock because my phone will not update the prl period.. My wife EVO 4G has the current 60187 prl.. Now all I get is a error code of 1233. Will have to call sprint in the morning to figure this one out..

14. DaddyZap

DaddyZap Android Enthusiast

Thanks yet again. We are lucky to have people like you here.

15. The informant

The informant Well-Known Member

16. mrklotzner

mrklotzner Newbie

Hi Apache Thunder i have a question and a slight issue for you i am trying to update my prl on my HTC EVO Design from boost i have rooted the phone and have dled the prl but when i try to change it the change does not take affect i have tried with it zipped and unzipped but it keeps telling me no change made am i missing something? much help is appreciated

17. gamikzone

gamikzone Android Enthusiast

is 61009 still the latest boost prl?

18. jackbquick123

jackbquick123 Well-Known Member

Yes I think it is

19. Tattooedgod

Tattooedgod Android Enthusiast

patsfann likes this.
  20. patsfann

patsfann Well-Known Member

I'm in Nashua NH & this prl works great 4 me 2 (4G).........if you search you can find a bunch of prls

21. myvwrocks

myvwrocks Newbie

i loaded this one at work (Jacksonville FL) and i am roaming with verizon. great signal... but an operator wants a credit card to make calls :hmmmm:

22. Tattooedgod

That's weird it's a sprint/boost prl from another phone. I use to only get 1 bar at my place now I get 3 most of the time. But sometimes it's fickle.

23. Tattooedgod

I didn't know that it had 4G that's something I didn't know about it never tried it because I usually use jb and 4g doesn't work on the cm10. Lol. I'm in Pembroke just below concord. But I'm a little out of the way

24. MIGzNYC

MIGzNYC Member

so whats the latest sprint prl that will work on boost...

i just put 60687 in and i did notice a difference right away here at work in NYC

25. Heloguy

Heloguy Android Enthusiast

##775# does absolutely nothing running the new update. ##3282# opens up epst settings, however, there is no option to change PRL. Does anyone have any tips?

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews