1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

wrong location

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fcortes626, Apr 17, 2012.

1. fcortes626

fcortes626 Android Enthusiast

so today i was using speedtest and the nearest server it found was in Wichita, KS and i live near los angeles, ca. so i see a latitude and longitude and i search then on google maps and it cam up wit this: 8636-8692 NW 120th St
    Potwin, KS 67123. its in the middle of nowhere and far away from where i am actually at (1,425 miles). i think its related to my very low phone signal. anyone knows a fix for this? there is also an internal ip and external ip im thinking it might have something to do with that.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 525Local

525Local Newbie

Make sure you have GPS enabled on your phone (Settings/Location & Security/Use GPS satellites)...for some reason it defaults there...also at the bottom select Tools...then Change Server at the top....scroll list and select server...press Change Server button again....select Speed Test at bottom and it should test from new manually selected server. Hope that helps.

3. fcortes626

fcortes626 Android Enthusiast

i did have gps enabled and i did try to change the server but it said that was the nearest one. i rebooted my phone and it changed back to my area. it does that some times so i guess rebooting fixes it for now. also everytime i reboot the external ip changes

4. Purponic

Purponic Well-Known Member

I think its just the speed test program. The same thing happened with my new phone and my Prevail. The program chose the closest location as Washington DC, when I'm 20 miles outside of Philly. I got better results from the DC server than I did the Philly one oddly enough.

5. 525Local

525Local Newbie

It took me a couple of tries to figure out that I had to press the Change Server button before and after selecting the new server. It seems that selecting a new server would do...but it doesnt take unless you press it again after selecting...maybe you already knew that...but figured throwing it out there couldnt hurt. I live in North Las Vegas...and If I dont have my GPS enabled when I start Speedtest...it always sets to a Kansas server (probably because its in the middle of the country..lol)...doesnt default to the last server used...definitely a problem with the app.

Samsung Galaxy Prevail Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, MSM7627-3 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews