• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wrong names in contacts after 2.1 update

Hi all.

Just wondering how I can get all my contacts showing the correct name in my phonebook. After 2.1 upgrade it imported all my facebook buddies, and because I call everyone by nicknames it has duplicated a lot of entries. I've tried "joining" the duplicates together to get just the one entry per person, but it seems to randomly choose whether they are stored under their facebook name or the nickname I have for them. I've tried entering what I want them to be called in the 'nickname' bit under the contact 'edit' screen, but again it seems to be random as to whether it then uses this name to display them in my contact list.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andy

I've found out that if you join them with your facebook it will store them under the facebook entries. You would have to go in and manually change them through the contact edit feature... Sometimes it will save both names under the 1 entry and I've had to go delete which name I didn't want...

Upvote 0
hmm... so if you can't beat them join them? I'm assuming it would be easier to delete your nicks you've created for your friends and keep their facebook names? What's funny was that with my contact list, when I sync'd it with Facebook, I was actually sync'd it with Facebook and "joined" my contacts I was actually able to choose which name I wanted to keep...

The reason I say this is because one of my friends has a fake facebook name because she doesn't want everyone to get her on facebook but when I synced it to my phone and joined the contacts together I deleted her fake facebook entry and kept her actual name (the name I had in my phonebook).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones