• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wrote NV Items -> Can't access "Status" or COM port in Device Manager

tahleel

Lurker
May 27, 2012
Hello all!

I have the stock ROM on my Epic 4G (non-Touch). I might've mistakenly wrote the wrong "NV Items" and now my phone doesn't show up on the device manager (method: ##8788#, toggle USB between Modem and PDA). Also, the phone "Status" under settings do not appear. Instead, it gives the error: The Process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly.

I've tried a factory reset (through the Android menu).
I've tried a factory wipe (Volume Down, Camera, and Power Button).
I also used Odin to flash back to the stock ROM.

None of these worked, and I am still getting the error. Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks!

Tahleel

Try flashing stock again with odin but this time check clear EFS. If that fixes the issue you will have to re-activate your phone, but it should do that automatically or connect you to Sprint on your first outgoing call. I believe this wipes the NV ram and may fix your issue.

Upvote 0
Try flashing stock again with odin but this time check clear EFS. If that fixes the issue you will have to re-activate your phone, but it should do that automatically or connect you to Sprint on your first outgoing call. I believe this wipes the NV ram and may fix your issue.

Thank you so much, it worked!

For all those wondering, in Odin, I check [Auto-Reboot] and [Phone EFS Clear], and this was in Odin3 v.185.

Tahleel

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones