• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WTF is a PUK Code? - H E L P !

thricipio

Jun 16, 2019
A LITTLE INTRO . . .
I received my new U11 a few days ago and have been working diligently to rebuild my application suite/config. It's been slow-going, tedious at times but generally not unenjoyable — that is, until about a ½·hr ago, when the proverbial f#c%l material hit the proverbial fan. Now, I think I may be completely screwed, but perhaps I'm wrong about that. I hope so . . .

I was in the security section and having created a screen unlock password and registering three fingerprints, I saw an option to secure my microSD contents with a pin num — which I attempted to do with a six-digit number.

This is where the fun… I mean horror show started.

I'm unclear as to some of the details. I'm not even sure if my six-digit SD-card PIN even registered properly. All I know is at some point I got asked to input that PIN, maybe as a confirmation of the six-digit PIN I was trying to establish . . . and . . . then I seemed to keep getting this screen:

(Click the above image to ENLARGE)

At some point when trying to get past this screen, I think I got a message (more than once) that my entry had to be exactly 8 characters in length. Well, I know that an 8-digit code is not what I entered — I thought I entered a 6-digit code — and that's when I started to panic and try crazy, desperate PIN codes. I started out with "10 attempts remaining" and now I'm down to 6!

I even tried powering off the phone and removing my microSD card but I got the same results. So, I put the card back in. I think now, I'll pull the card back out and see if I can access the contents — expecting to fail, of course.

As you can probably surmise, I'm really feeling desperate about this . . . so anything anyone can do to help — even if it's only to point me in the right direction — will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
—Thri

Last edited:
Reactions: bcrichster
Thanks, Unforgiven. I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to do a factory reset and start over. That will suck. But something you said has given me an idea: perhaps when I, for the second time, entered the 1st two digits of my 6-digit number, the system read those as the last two digits of an 8-digit code. I don't expect this to work, but I'm gonna give it a try. Then I'll be down to "5 attempts remaining" — which makes me wonder, what happens when I expire all 5? I'm guessing at that point, I'll have no alternative but to do a factory reset. Like I said, that will suck.
Anyway, thanks for the input; at least now I know what "PUK" stands for.

Upvote 0
That will suck. But something you said has given me an idea: perhaps when I, for the second time, entered the 1st two digits of my 6-digit number, the system read those as the last two digits of an 8-digit code. I don't expect this to work, but I'm gonna give it a try.
I was wondering the same thing, but didn't want to recommend you burn one of your remaining attempts in case someone else had a better idea. I also considered that you would have had to enter the 6+first 2 twice, and figured that was a long shot. o_O
Then I'll be down to "5 attempts remaining" — which makes me wonder, what happens when I expire all 5? I'm guessing at that point, I'll have no alternative but to do a factory reset
Check this from VZW, it should get you sorted
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/find-4g-sim-pin/

Upvote 0
I was wondering the same thing, but didn't want to recommend you burn one of your remaining attempts in case someone else had a better idea. I also considered that you would have had to enter the 6+first 2 twice, and figured that was a long shot. o_O

Check this from VZW, it should get you sorted
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/find-4g-sim-pin/
You get extra points for being diplomatic! I just realized that the reason my microSD contents are accessible is that I was fundamentally mistaken about what (if anything) I had encrypted. I thought I was modifying the microSD card, but I was modifying the SIM card — as you rightly (and most diplomatically) referred me to. ¶ So now I know I can get my phone working okay . . . I just have to take my SIM to VZW and swap it for a new one. Piece of cake, I think. The panic has begun to abate!
Take away: "If I only had a brain…" !! :oops:

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You get extra points for being diplomatic! I just realized that the reason my microSD contents are accessible is that I was fundamentally mistaken about what (if anything) I had encrypted. I thought I was modifying the microSD card, but I was modifying the SIM card — as you rightly (and most diplomatically) referred me to. ¶ So now I know I can get my phone working okay . . . I just have to take my SIM to VZW and swap it for a new one. Piece of cake, I think. The panic has begun to abate!
Take away: "If I only had a brain…" !! :oops:
You weren't able to recover your PUK using the instructions in the link? You should still have a few attempts left.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
just keep in mind if you do a factory reset you will trip google's FRP. however, as long as you know your google account info you are fine. just wanted to forewarn you, before you reset it.
Thanks. Good to know. It looks like I'll be able to avoid doing a reset but this is good to know about. What does "FRP" stand for? Thanks again. —Thri

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
You weren't able to recover your PUK using the instructions in the link? You should still have a few attempts left.
Okay, I'll try that. I have to make a trip to VZW anyway to iron out issues with shuffling SIM cards around from previous phones, so I was gonna take the easy/lazy way out — and not so much out of laziness, but paranoia about ending up back in a factory-reset scenario. At least, I'll check out the link and see what it's all about. Thanks again. —T

Upvote 0
Thanks. Good to know. It looks like I'll be able to avoid doing a reset but this is good to know about. What does "FRP" stand for? Thanks again. —Thri
factory reset protection. it is designed to protect your phone if it gets stolen. a thief can then do a hard reset to by pass any security (lockscreen pin, code pattern or finger print) and then sign in with his own account. google in a few android os update ago addressed this with frp. so that if you do a factory reset (hard reset), you will need your google acct info which a thief should not have.

its a good security system provided you know your info. it can be bad if you do not know your info which many tend to forget here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks, lvt (and ocnbrze) for the info on FRP.
lvt, I haven't read that article yet, but I will. It appears to be about getting around the FRP, and if that can be done, one must wonder what the point of FRP in the first place — but I'm just wondering. I'm guessing that reading the article will make things clear. Thanks again. —T
well according to the article your phone is already unlocked because you can go to settings. in a real life case a thief or somebody who finds your phone will not have it unlocked already. unlocking obviously bypasses the security and you can just go into settings and factiory reset from there. if you do this you will not be trip frp.

frp is mainly for when you can't unlock the phone and you have to do a hard reset. this is when frp gets tripped.

sorry to derail your thread, just wanted to make sure you know about frp.

Upvote 0
well according to the article your phone is already unlocked because you can go to settings.
·
· [snip]
·
frp is mainly for when you can't unlock the phone and you have to do a hard reset. this is when frp gets tripped. ¶ sorry to derail your thread, just wanted to make sure you know about frp.
No problemo . . . this was a good thing to learn about. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
When you sort it out, please let us know how your U11 works. I'm a big fan of HTC with the last one being the 10 EVO. I wanted the U11 after reading a lot of good things about it. Unfortunately it's discontinued by my carrier just months before my data plan's renewal date so I had to look for something else.
I'll do that. Preliminarily, I can say I like it so far. Got the 128GB internal memory with 6GB RAM unlocked model for $400. Two years ago when it was released, if this variant of the model had been available, I'm guessing it would've been selling for $750. I'm a big fan of buying models that have been out for 18-24 months at a highly discounted price — something, I'm sure, the manufacturers might prefer people not do! ;)

Reactions: lvt and Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I'll do that. Preliminarily, I can say I like it so far. Got the 128GB internal memory with 6GB RAM unlocked model for $400. Two years ago when it was released, if this variant of the model had been available, I'm guessing it would've been selling for $750. I'm a big fan of buying models that have been out for 18-24 months at a highly discounted price — something, I'm sure, the manufacturers might prefer people not do! ;)

It's the U11 or U11+ ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones