• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WTF is going on ?? (Calling for death of Nexus One))

Wonder if there is going to be a lynch mob.:D

The Nexus sure has Moto Droid fans upset.

I find it strange. I was a blackberry user before moving to the Nexus and I can remember when the Storm was released. All blackberry users were happy to see another BB device that helped expand the horizons of the platform. Apparently Droid owners thought they had the Android Flagship device and are now insecure to find out different.

I can tell you one thing: the Nexus will not go away. It's too nice of a device. If the BB Storm made it, the Nexus will have smooth sailing.;)

Android fans need to accept that there is a new sherrif in town, er, I guess I should say a new FLAGSHIP Android device in town.:)

The Droid, Eris, etc..are blue collar working class devices. The Nexus is a cut above the rest. The cream of the crop, so to say. It's just the way it is and the way it's going to be.

If it were not for the Nexus I would not be interested in Android, so Kudos to Google for expanding the Android user base!

Upvote 0
this is an IPHONE conspiracy...lol but seriously, I dont have problems with the phone. I consider myself to be some what tech savy but i dont look into the things as much. If your a normal guy/gal and got this phone, you wud think it was sent from the heavens above. Thats how I feel. I sit on my phone sometimes more than my laptop...then i have the nerve to complain about battery life...lol

alot of complaints. Its a new device on company that doesnt make phones. You have to expect these minor set backs. If they dont fix the issue, then its a problem.

Upvote 0
What scares everybody is that Google is a powerhouse and if they pull this off, they change mobile phone service as we know it. They have major detractors, hoping that this will fail. Sprint who has been bleeding customers by the millions, I am sure is watching with rapt attention. Tmo, wisely partnered up. I don't know what Verizon will do, because they like to "dummy down" their phones with their proprietary crap (VZcast anyone?).

Don't be fooled. This foray has an agenda. Test the market. If they got this far with only word of mouth advertising, imagine what damage they could do with a media blitz? And let's face it, even with the N1's glitches, it has changed the face of mobile phones and frightened the heck out of the big guys. I give Google points for that. The poor fanboys nearly died at the prospect, LOL - I read their posts and roll with laughter at the exposure of their anxieties. It's ridiculous.

I welcome the change and wish Google well. They should however, get a better calling plan, improve customer service and implement better equipment return policies. If I get a Tmo branded phone, I know that Tmo will "have my back" in case of difficulties with the phone or it's service. There is no such security with Google, and they need to address that in a hurry.

But yes, Google has shaken up the industry. Now all that they need is a good follow-through. It ain't over till its over!

Upvote 0
The Storm? LOL! That's funny. The Storm and Storm2 are the ugly step-child in the BB line-up. No where near as popular or embraced as the conventional BB form factor. I wouldn't be comparing the N1 to the Storm in any way, form or fashion. They don't even belong in the same sentence much less analogy.
You just made my point. Whatever you think of the Storm, it's highly popular. Try checking out crackberry.com and see which forum section is the most popular.;)

The Storm forum section has around 600,000 more posts than any other device forum section.

Now, the Storm was never for me. I thought it was a half-assed excuse for a touchscreen. But, that didn't stop it from becoming a popular device.

Nothing will stop the Nexus from becoming popular. Like I said, it's too nice of a device and does not have the shortcomings of the Storm(clickscreen, crappy UI and OS), nor does it have the shortcomings of the Droid(Ugly brick with cheesy slideout keyboard), nor does it have the shortcomings of the iPhone(locked down and controlled by Apple, lack of multi-tasking, customization, washed out screen).

Upvote 0
Just wait....this is only the testing ground.

In a few years I don't doubt Google starting their own ISP built from the ground up on Data....not voice!

Oh and AFO....you just made his point....how can you support the Storm then say "Droid(Ugly brick with cheesy slideout keyboard)"

Don't talk badly about something I like....now I will talk crap about something others like!! WOOHOO!

Upvote 0
You just made my point. Whatever you think of the Storm, it's highly popular. Try checking out crackberry.com and see which forum section is the most popular.;)

The Storm forum section has around 600,000 more posts than any other device forum section.

Now, the Storm was never for me. I thought it was a half-assed excuse for a touchscreen. But, that didn't stop it from becoming a popular device.

Nothing will stop the Nexus from becoming popular. Like I said, it's too nice of a device and does not have the shortcomings of the Storm(clickscreen, crappy UI and OS), nor does it have the shortcomings of the Droid(Ugly brick with cheesy slideout keyboard), nor does it have the shortcomings of the iPhone(locked down and controlled by Apple, lack of multi-tasking, customization, washed out screen).

I don't think you can look at how many posts are in a device section and say it's popular. Just look at this forum and how many posts are being made in the DROID forums. But I can guarantee you that there are many who think their Hero, MT3G, or even the N1 believes otherwise!

All I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, the Storm was not and is not as prolific as it's other hard-keyboard counterparts. I believe the N1 will make a greater impression on the Android community than the Storm did in the BB community. Because I'm saying the Storm was NOT as popular as many think.

Upvote 0
I don't think you can look at how many posts are in a device section and say it's popular. Just look at this forum and how many posts are being made in the DROID forums. But I can guarantee you that there are many who think their Hero, MT3G, or even the N1 believes otherwise!

All I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, the Storm was not and is not as prolific as it's other hard-keyboard counterparts. I believe the N1 will make a greater impression on the Android community than the Storm did in the BB community. Because I'm saying the Storm was NOT as popular as many think.
Not sure I can agree. BB is a corporate and business device first and foremost and the Storm helped to change that. It became more mainstream what with all the younger folks buying Storms. It also helped out with bringing in more developers who made apps that were outside the normal BB model.

I'm not so sure the Nexus can have that same impact.

I think where the Nexus helps the Android community is in it's higher end feel and operation. I was always intrigued by Android but couldn't find a device running Android that interested me. IMO, the Nexus will help Android expand beyond it's traditional users and really show what the OS is capable of and show that Android is truly a viable option to BB and Apple.

So maybe you are right, maybe it can have that kind of impact. I guess time will tell.

I know one thing: I am highly impressed with Android. I am also highly impressed by the Nexus as it relates to hardware. It's a great marriage, imo. It creates an experience that is greater than the sum of it's parts, which is an amazing thing, imo.

Upvote 0
And it shouldn't! It's a good smartphone and worth it if you like that form factor and it delivers on service. But like any smartphone, don't pretend it's something that it's not. It's not perfect by any stretch and has both strengths and... get this... weaknesses! Sometimes, I think that N1 owners only see the strengths and blind themselves to the weaknesses.

dude, dont even try. it's futile. they are all in denial; the fact is: N1 is a lemon; it's a failure. they're all blaming the press, the droid users, the iphone users, the gods, and the milky way for N1's problems, yet none of them is willing to blame the N1 itself.
if you tell them that the sky is blue, they'll say it's green and you're color-blind.

Upvote 0
it's a failure. they're all blaming the press, the droid users, the iphone users, the gods, and the milky way for N1's problems, yet none of them is willing to blame the N1 itself.
Blame it for what? I blame the Nexus for being a fantastic device. I can't think of anything else I would pin on it.

Maybe the earthquake in Haiti? The deficit?

Upvote 0
dude, dont even try. it's futile. they are all in denial; the fact is: N1 is a lemon; it's a failure. they're all blaming the press, the droid users, the iphone users, the gods, and the milky way for N1's problems, yet none of them is willing to blame the N1 itself.
if you tell them that the sky is blue, they'll say it's green and you're color-blind.

The N1 is the best Android experience out in the market, probably comparable only to the Droid (if you like the keyboard factor).
If you like Android and you are in the market for a new phone, the N1 is the right choice.
All the rest (comparison with apple, etc. etc.) is all set up by the media to sell more. Why do we need a clear winner? Does 99% of the market buy a single phone? Absolutely not. Everyone adapts to their needs.
On top of that, it's still not clear who provided the numbers for the N1s sold in the first week - couldn't be a retail store because it's not sold there.
So unless Google went out and said to the world that they officially sold 20,000 units in 7 days (which I personally don't recall) all this 'failure' talk is based on estimates.

Upvote 0
Maybe the earthquake in Haiti?

Dude, really? C'mon man. Let's talk about phones. The devastation that happened in Haiti should not be brought into a meaningless conversation about telephones. People are dying and just today, an aftershock measuring 6.1 hit the country. If we have differences regarding phones, that's one thing. But Haiti shouldn't be a part of that discussion.

Upvote 0
Dude, really? C'mon man. Let's talk about phones. The devastation that happened in Haiti should not be brought into a meaningless conversation about telephones. People are dying and just today, an aftershock measuring 6.1 hit the country. If we have differences regarding phones, that's one thing. But Haiti shouldn't be a part of that discussion.
You post the way you want and I'll post the way I want. I already have one wife who tries to tell me how to talk... I don't need another.:D

Oh, and I'm well aware of the latest earthquake in Haiti because I downloaded the Earthquake! application from the marketplace and my Nexus One alerts me to every tremor.:D Even has a widget.:D

Upvote 0
On top of that, it's still not clear who provided the numbers for the N1s sold in the first week - couldn't be a retail store because it's not sold there.

So unless Google went out and said to the world that they officially sold 20,000 units in 7 days (which I personally don't recall) all this 'failure' talk is based on estimates.

Flurry was the market analysis group that released that estimate. They are able to estimate number of units based on some algorithm that is measures hits to the Application usage. This is a pretty accurate way of determining the amount of devices that are in the market, as it also helps developers find niches of under-served areas. That being said, it also uses existing user bases to fine-tune their estimate. In utilizing this methodology, they have accurately estimated several device sales including the home-run hit, the iPhone 3Gs. That being said, it is still an estimate. It may not be spot-on accurate, but it is a good ball-park value and closer than what one might speculate otherwise.

Upvote 0
You post the way you want and I'll post the way I want. I already have one wife who tries to tell me how to talk... I don't need another.:D

Oh, and I'm well aware of the latest earthquake in Haiti because I downloaded the Earthquake! application from the marketplace and my Nexus One alerts me to every tremor.:D Even has a widget.:D

Far be it from me to post about an app and not provide more info:

Review Earthquake (Android) | // Pocket Picks //

It can be found in the marketplace and is a fantastic app for your Nexus One!

"The data is certainly accurate however as it comes direct from the US Geological Survey. Effectively then, what the app does is pipe that information to your phone."

Upvote 0
2) Obviously, when a company gets as big and as fast as Google did, ANYTHING they do will be scrutinized. If HTC releases a phone with this many bugs and problems, it's maybe tech news for a week and then it disappears into oblivion. Motorola and to a certain extent Verizon have endured some scrutiny over the DROID, but to a lesser extent. After all, where was Motorola before all of this? On the brink of closing up shop!

BUT... when Google takes a stab at it. The Golden Company. And they make a misstep. You better bet your bottom that the media and press are going to jump all over every single glitch, bug, mistake, misstep that you make! And that's what I think is going on here. This is NEWS people! The problems are real. Maybe they're not as big as they're making it, but it's real. But just like the media (even tech-media), they'll take it and run with it.
You type alot but dont say much.

You missed the part where other mega corporations have been in similar situations BUT DID NOT RECEIVE THIS TYPE OF PRESS.

MS with IE , MS with Xbox , Apple with Iphone.

All had huge missteps to start off with NONE ...I repeat NONE of them get blasted the way the N1 is , especially when you consider the time frame.

The negativity isnt unique...but the quickness and severity of the harsh feedback is readily apparent.

To top that off almost across the board the outlets that are non stop bashing Google/N1 were the exact same places throwing out unjustified rumors.

Again.
What consumer electronic doesnt have a faulty run of hardware/firmware/software its first go around ?

Startacs , Timeports , SidekicksIphones ... even singling out communication devices every first run has had some issues its first 60 days.

Now please explain to us in DETAIL the % of N1 with unrectifiable issues that would qualify the term "lemon". Im expecting you to have hard numbers and some data to back this up since you are so absolutely certain this is true(much as the sky is blue right ??)

So go ahead. Dont even begin to post anything else that anyone will take seriously until you do.

Quit being a baby. It was a sarcastic reference point.

Upvote 0
You type alot but dont say much.

You missed the part where other mega corporations have been in similar situations BUT DID NOT RECEIVE THIS TYPE OF PRESS.

MS with IE , MS with Xbox , Apple with Iphone.

All had huge missteps to start off with NONE ...I repeat NONE of them get blasted the way the N1 is , especially when you consider the time frame.

The negativity isnt unique...but the quickness and severity of the harsh feedback is readily apparent.

I can see where you're going with this and while there are similarities, there are also differences. Google's foray into this particular market, at this particular time, with its particular reputation, using this particular device is what sets itself apart from those other examples. To be honest, only Apple has been successful at pulling off dipping its fingers in different markets. What I do believe is that we're being overly sensitive to the press. I mean the criticism of WinMo has been on-going! Even with the prospect of WinMo7, there isn't a great deal of optimism. And you wonder why MS played it safe to stay out of the device-making business for this long?

Google is a software maker... and a pretty darn good one at that! But you venture into making devices (no matter the semantics of it all), they're not just doing something they conceive as novel, but they're doing it upon heaps and heaps of precedence. You can't ignore that. And so, when the bad press comes out, I think it's the N1 owners who are more sour than Google. In fact, I think Google is handling the fall-out a lot better than the N1 owners. They at least understand that criticism is often harshest when you have precedence creating a higher expectation.

Quit being a baby. It was a sarcastic reference point.

Perhaps it was sarcastic, but still in poor taste. But he's right. I can't tell him how to speak and perhaps, I care more about what's going on in Haiti not to belittle the situation by equating it to a meaningless discussion about cell-phones. But that's just me but I assure you, there's really nothing infantile about it. I think as Americans we've lost perspective when the Conan O'Brien fiasco warrants protest and crowd gatherings and becomes the predominant news while people are dying in crisis in Haiti.

Upvote 0
for some reason, people had desperately high expectations for the Nexus... why? I honestly don't know... I personally had no expectations... I didn't even really set out to get one, but when it launched, I figured let's give it a shot, since the timing was right (I had just sold my 3GS and was looking for something "different")....

i'm at the point where the bad reviews fall on my deaf ears... i just ignore them because 9/10 they are based on hearsay - the reviewers have never even held one in their hands...

Upvote 0
Perhaps it was sarcastic, but still in poor taste. But he's right. I can't tell him how to speak and perhaps, I care more about what's going on in Haiti not to belittle the situation by equating it to a meaningless discussion about cell-phones. But that's just me but I assure you, there's really nothing infantile about it. I think as Americans we've lost perspective when the Conan O'Brien fiasco warrants protest and crowd gatherings and becomes the predominant news while people are dying in crisis in Haiti.

I can't believe how much you are posting about phones while people are dying in Haiti.:D

You should be on a plane to help rescue people instead. How heartless you are.;) Where are your priorities man!?

Upvote 0
for some reason, people had desperately high expectations for the Nexus... why? I honestly don't know... I personally had no expectations... I didn't even really set out to get one, but when it launched, I figured let's give it a shot, since the timing was right (I had just sold my 3GS and was looking for something "different")....

i'm at the point where the bad reviews fall on my deaf ears... i just ignore them because 9/10 they are based on hearsay - the reviewers have never even held one in their hands...

I don't believe everyone who bought an N1 had high-expectations. I do believe that there are those who had certain expectations based on two things: 1) The gibberish rumors that inevitably led to hype written by supposed "tech-gurus" like the nuts at Engadget; and 2) Those who have been following Google all along when they announced the Android journey several years ago.

For #1: The expectations were unfounded. There was no reason to believe half the stuff that those writers were rumoring about. So, when the gPhone landed, of course, there was disappointment. But guys at Engadget are notorious iPhone-lovers and so it's possible that they built up the expectation only to criticize the product later to yet again, sing the praises of the iPhone.

For #2: Perhaps the expectations were unfounded. But for those (like me) who have been following Android even as far back as an idea, we haven't given up hope. Yeah, to us, the N1 didn't deliver on what would have been quintessentially Google. But that doesn't mean we believe that Google has given up on it. One day, there will be an Android phone that's data driven, that turns the industry on its head.

This is why, all this time, I've been saying the N1 is still a VERY good phone, but to me, it's not THAT Google phone. Like Mario Q said, it's an iteration. It's the next step after the DROID. It's iterative. I'm still waiting patiently for the phone that allows us to experience the freedom that Google has been touting as its mantra for so long. So yeah, the expectations are high. Still are...

I can't believe how much you are posting about phones while people are dying in Haiti.:D

You should be on a plane to help rescue people instead. How heartless you are.;) Where are your priorities man!?

I should be. But I'm American too. So I speak out of my own fallen nature. :( But I have given my $$$ in relief. Also another reason I don't have $500 to spend on an N1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones