• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WTF is ROOTED?

Wow, I got alot of reading and studing to do. I never knew cell phones would be as compicated as PC. LOL :thinking: :eek:

Rooting is the process needed to turn YOUR phone, the one you bought and paid for, into a machine that YOU control and not the folk you bought it from. It allows you to remove the crap the phone comes with, but comes with penalties. Done wrong it destroys the phone and even done right, voids your warranty...How Dare You own your phone!:eek:

Upvote 0
I just gave myself a really big head ack. I would be nice to make the phone the way I want it. But I am not the smartest and don't want to screw up my phone, which I would do for sure, lol. Sounds like alot involed and alot of patiences.

Can I make the phone super viberate? LOL

First, let me say, "Welcome to the Forums!"

Rooting sounds overly complicated at first, but with most phones it is pretty simple. There are always developers coming up with easy root tools and even, my personal favorite, one click root tools or apps. They make things very manageable. It is also something that has become very difficult to permanently mess up your phone while doing.

All that said, it isn't anything that a person should be doing if they aren't comfortable. Those that rush into it are typically those that have the most problems. My suggestion is to ease into the phone and get to know it via the forums. We have a great community here and plenty of knowledgeable people willing to help. Read and ask questions, take a look at the rooting guides for your phone and you may find that it is something you want to try.

Upvote 0
I’ve put off rooting for about a year and a half, because not only am I spooked to do it -- I’d be screwed if I bricked my phone -- but this phone, even though it’s just an Optimus, does so much more than my previous that I want to just appreciate what I have.

I think it’s easier than I have convinced myself it is, but just think about it.

Upvote 0
Most people probably don't need/use the extra "features" enabled by rooting. Definitely make sure it's something you want to do, as it will result in you voiding your warranty.

Not sure what your phone background is, but jailbreaking on the iPhone is similar to rooting an Android. However, do remember that a lot of the features you get from jailbreaking an iPhone is already enabled in Androids out of the box (such as changing keyboards, launchers, installing apps from outside the market etc.).

Upvote 0
great question!

and what type of phone is it?

Seems like Smokingpipe has the Samsung Galaxy S2X (SGS2X).

Smokingpipe, as others have suggested, get to know your phone first. Your SGS2X is a beast and can handle must of the things you'll throw at it without root.

You can really customize your phone by simply installing a 3rd party launcher. Try some of the more popular launchers like Go Launcher X or ADW Launcher

Check out the Post your Android Desktop thead and see how creative some of our members here personalize their phones.

If you haven't done so, I would greatly suggest you read the best introduction guide to Android: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/36936-android-permissions-explained-security-tips-avoiding-malware.html

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
I have the HTC EVO 4g. I had it for a month when I rooted it. I did it because 1. I'm not one to allow others to define me and 2. I like the challenge. Being technically sound didn't hurt either. I read the rooting guide a few times downloaded all the stuff I needed and read the guide 1 more time before going along with it. I found that it wasn't near as complicated as it looked in the guide and actually doing it took a lot less time then I had allotted for. I had originally thought it would take a couple of hours in the reality it took less than 15 minutes. Since I have rooted the phone I have been able to truly customize it my way. Like remove all their crappy ringtones and replace them with mine. So regardless if the phone is plugged up to the computer or not my ringtones play. I have my phone setup the way I want it. But there again I have serious issues with Control. Don't worry though I am seeing the doctor about it:D . Seriously I do like things a bit differently than the "default" way I haven't had the Stock ROM on the phone since I rooted. Haven't had the Stock Kernel since I rooted. The only thing stock on the phone is the components that came with the phone. I even bought a couple of extra battery's and an otterbox. My daugter on the other had has everything stock on her phone. it works for her so again its each to their own. In the end its really up to you and what you want. I have more respect for my Daughter who keeps her phone stock because she likes simplicity than for someone who roots just to look cool, yet doesn't have a clue as to what they are really doing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones