• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wtf with the battery

soulfetcher13

Dec 25, 2009
tennessee
I'm sure it may be just mine but I've had my rezound now for 4 days. This morning I took the phone off the charger. I have a 45 minute commute to work. By the time I got to work I was at 25%. About 10 minutes later the phone was dead. I will be going back to Verizon shortly and for now my iPhone is turned back on. Can anyone give me some kind of clue as to whether or not this is a known issue or is mine just a reject?

It is either your battery or your power settings.

As example most folks are getting nearly all day with the standard battery.

Check if you have GPS running constantly, constant updates enabled ie. Facebook, your screen set to constant on, etc. If there is no obvious drain then I would get a new battery asap. BTW, the screen uses a large amount of juice so if you are playing games it is constantly on and if doing this on line there could be additional power draw.

However nothing should drain it in 45 minutes. At night I listen to a binaural program while surfing and texting and answering email and in an hour or so of this my drain is about 20-25%. The binaural beats program uses a huge amount of processor power and my screen is on constantly. This combo use is intense. I get over 24 hours on a charge.

Upvote 0
You could try a factory reset, but I would just take it back. No matter what you were doing the battery shouldn't do that. I have tried to drain my phone as fast as I could and the fastest I got was just under 4 hours of streaming movies over 4g. Usually I get a minimum of 10 hours. Average about 12. I would say I am on the lighter side of moderate use and I ALWAYS have data,gps, and wifi on, I lost a phone once and I have fantasized about what it would be like when I track the bastard down with lookout and ask him why he didnt respond to my texts offering a reward and dislocating his jaw as soon as he opens it to answer.

Upvote 0
I don't know why the previous posters are giving you the run-around, obviously an app got hung open and for whatever reason Android didn't shut it down. I've had it happen only a few times in 20 months I had my Incredible. One was an obscure app that clearly was poorly coded, but I've also had problems with Google Maps.

Don't do a factory reset or take it back to VZW. Charge the phone up, turn it on, keep an eye on it. If you see the battery getting drained again, look at the running services and it will quickly tell you what is the bad app.

Upvote 0
I don't know why the previous posters are giving you the run-around, obviously an app got hung open and for whatever reason Android didn't shut it down. I've had it happen only a few times in 20 months I had my Incredible. One was an obscure app that clearly was poorly coded, but I've also had problems with Google Maps.

Don't do a factory reset or take it back to VZW. Charge the phone up, turn it on, keep an eye on it. If you see the battery getting drained again, look at the running services and it will quickly tell you what is the bad app.

He went from full charge to dead in under an hour. I dont know if the phone physically should be able to do that no matter what or how hard something is running. Also the heat could have damaged your phone, the longevity of electronics is directly related to the temps they see, you dont want the thing taking a crap in 13 months. Take it back and get a new one. Install battery monitor widget on your knew one and it will keep and constant log of your te.ps. The highest I have seen is 118

Upvote 0
He went from full charge to dead in under an hour. I dont know if the phone physically should be able to do that no matter what or how hard something is running.

Your concerns over my claims are welcome, but my Inc did that when G Maps got hung up. So yes it is possible. I used my Inc for a year+ afterwards. I doubt it got hot enough to do significant damage to the phone. If it would have gotten THAT hot, the battery would have caught on fire?

Upvote 0
My Inc did that when G Maps got hung up. So yes it is possible. I used my Inc for a year+ afterwards. I doubt it got hot enough to do significant damage to the phone. If it would have gotten THAT hot, the battery would have caught on fire?

the battery doesn't have to catch on fire for it to be categorized as "too hot". In other words the battery can get hot and cause damage. One example is over time if the battery continues to over heat it can cause burn in spots on the screen.

Upvote 0
One example is over time if the battery continues to over heat it can cause burn in spots on the screen.

That example requires the hot temps over multiple instances. IMO, it's not a big concern over a one time occurrence, but I would certainly welcome an expert or empirical info on this matter.

Upvote 0
There is a reason cpus have fans and heatsincs on them in pcs. Heat constantly damages your phone, with every degree heat takes more life from the components and the damage is exponential, a large spike in temp can cut a components life in half or worse. He might be alright this time but if it happens again, take it back. Your temps should rarely get above 120

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
For what it's worth coming from a site rookie:

I had this phone about 3 or 4 days and it got extremely hot one night sitting on my coffee table. The next morning, it was dead after 1.5 hours of pocket time. I charged it back up and it died again within another hour. I brought it back and the Verizon rep swapped it out no problem. Maybe you could try swapping it out, it worked for me.

Upvote 0
One small comment on electronic components and temperature. Most components are rated at 85 degree C. They are also, most commonly, surface mount devices. When these components are manufactured, they are flashed at over 800 degrees F. Most are capable of operating at 400 degrees F for extended periods of time (in excess of 1000 hours at temp). I personally would worry more about the LCD and battery than anything else. Those are the two most likely components to fail at heat. If an app is not causing the battery drain, then most likely it is a faulty battery or screen which would warrant a phone return.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones