1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wut does it mean to root your phone? Sry I'm new to the inspire.. Im coming from an iPhone4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by luli, Jun 7, 2011.

1. luli

luli Lurker
    None

May 25, 2011
    I'm new to the inspire.. what does rooting your phone do??

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    rooting your phone means giving yourself superuser (administrator) access, gives you access to system files and the ability to change things that normally are marked read only This allows you to change all kinds of things that normally you wouldn't be able to, along with install custom versions of Android or remove any of the preloaded junk that the carrier puts on the device

3. luli

luli Lurker
    None

May 25, 2011
    How do I do that?? What about sideloading?? I'm learning new things by the day..

4. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Read thru this section. I recommend reading and asking all the questions you can before rooting because of you are unsure of anything you are doing it can go very wrong.

http://androidforums.com/inspire-4g-all-things-root/

As for sideloading if you haven't gotten the update from att you can call them an speak with tech support to have them push the update to your phone. Or if you root your phone you can unlock this feature then.

To check if you already have it menu-settings - applications - you should see a unknown sources box if you have it then check that box