• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WWYD - USB wont connect, tried everything

In the past I have been able to use the phone as a mounted drive, but for the past couple of months my EPIC wont mount on my laptops which run Windows 7.

I plug the USB in the computer and nothing happens on the computer side. The phone will charge and it recognizes that it is connected to a computer (gives me the options to mount, tether or charge) but absolutely nothing happens on the computer. No sound of a USB device being connected/disconnected, no error messages, nothing.

I used to be able to transfer media and tether my phone with PDAnet, but not anymore.

I've tried everything suggested on other threads (different ports, different cables, debugging, disabling wifi and 3g, etc) but nothing has worked.

Am I now at the point to get a replacement? What would you do in this situation?

Im getting no error messages, nothing. Ive uninstalled drivers, updated drivers, the computer sees nothing.

Literally nothing happens on the computer end when I plug in the phone. As I said earlier this has been going on for the past couple of months.

I can no longer transfer media or tether because the computer thinks nothing is plugged in at all. My wifes Evo (which I otherwise dont like) works as it should when connected to USB.

I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Reset the phone to factory?
Get a replacement?

Thanks for your reply by the way

-JL

Upvote 0
well, it's not the phone...

I've had this before. Have you tried other computers? Perhaps try installing the drivers again, then using the ports on the back of the computer. when you plug it in, you need to tell the phone to mount the drive.

Also.. if you are completely desperate to fix this... wipe and reload your computer (it sounds drastic, and it is). I had a computer that wouldn't recognize my phone at all.. had to do a reload on it at one point for various other reasons, and thought I'd try my phone again... it worked.

But back to the part about USB ports, the front ports are notorious for not recognizing phones for whatever reason, and it's best to use the ones on the back.

Upvote 0
I have 2 laptops both running windows 7. An older ASUS running 32bit and a new Lenovo 64bit. There are no ports on the back of the lenovo, anyway Ive tried all ports on both comps. Both computers recognized my phone until about 6 weeks ago. Im not sure what has changed. I was able to tether and transfer media with no problems.

I just tested it on an old iBook and a Macbook and still nothing happens on either of the computers.

Just to clarify: The phone still gives me the options to tether, charge, or mass storage like it knows its plugged in to a comp.

I think its the phone but who knows, I may try a hard reset soon.

Upvote 0
turn off the phone & re-seat your micro sd card: gently press it until it clicks and springs back; repeat press until it clicks and stays in. then try mounting.

if no joy, & if you have a spare micro sd card, swap it with the installed card & see what happens. or, if you have a card reader, try your card in that.

let us know what happens.

Upvote 0
turn off the phone & re-seat your micro sd card: gently press it until it clicks and springs back; repeat press until it clicks and stays in. then try mounting.

if no joy, & if you have a spare micro sd card, swap it with the installed card & see what happens. or, if you have a card reader, try your card in that.

let us know what happens.

Good suggestion, no luck though.

Im not techie enough to know this, but what inside the phone identifies itself to the computer that this is a phone/sd card?

It seems that that message is not being sent to the computer somehow.

I guess I will try a hard reset soon, I just hate reloading everything.

Upvote 0
have you by chance tried pulling the battery out of your laptops for a few minutes to reset the laptop? if not try that and see if it works. otherwise i'd say your options are getting limited.another thing you could try is trying pdanet, its free,from the market just to see if you can get that program to install the drivers from your phone and getting it to see it that way. a long shot but maybe worth a try. good luck to ya!

Upvote 0
Update: Yesterday my wife got an Epic (she was sick of no keyboard on her EVO) and I plugged it in to my computer and it loaded right up! Everything worked perfectly!

So I tried mounting mine after hers, and sigh nothing......something must be up with my phone.

Oh I almost forgot, I did a hard reset and that didnt make a difference

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones