• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

X+1 considered a successor?

Everything I've read is calling the X+1 a successor to the X, not to the Droid Maxx. Is this because it won't have the our massive battery? Or maybe the form-factor? Or is the Maxx really that different than the X?

The Droid line is a property of Verizon's, as they license the Droid brand from Lucas Films. That's why the Droid Maxx is a Verizon exclusive device. The Moto X, conversely, is Motorola's flagship device and is available on all major carriers. So the X+1 is positioned as the next generation of Moto's flagship, cross-carrier device, the successor to the Moto X.

The rumor is that another Droid is the works too, possibly called the Droid Quantum. In theory it might be similar to the relationship between the Moto X and the Droid Maxx, where they share internals and most of the software, but Verizon controls the branding of the Droid device and throws in some features for differentiation, but that's just speculation at this point. And the Lenovo sale complicates things even further. But I hope this at least answered your question.

Upvote 0
Either way, I'm spoiled and now cannot live without always listening touchless control, active notification, and a large battery on all my future phones.

100% agree with you there. But all things being equal I'd rather own a "Moto line" device than a "Droid line" device, mainly because of the needless delays Verizon introduces into the update process. (Note that the Moto X is now on 4.4.3 while the Droid Maxx is still on 4.4 with no upgrade date announced even today.) So I'm hoping the X+1 has at least a 3000 mAh battery and 5" screen. If so I'll be the first in line to buy my first non-Droid smartphone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones