• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

X for Fascinate..... Don't be stupid!

wysilverado

Aug 7, 2010
I did it for a day,wow I have new respect for My X(Phone not Wife....)!!!.The only thing better about the Samsung is it's easier to get out of your pocket,thats it,period,nothing else.... I wanted it to be a better phone but the X has better battery life,reception,call quality,smoother interface and I don't mind theMotoblur,I think its just something to whine about..... The X just drop kicks it!

I was debating on switching to the SF recently. Still am in the back of my mind. lol

Now that some really good roms are out though, most of my gripes with it have gone. Aside from some random reboots, which moto copped to and are supposedly fixing in a patch. heh

Only thing I wish I could do on it is get roms like CM6 on it, but thats no biggy atm.

Upvote 0
Friends have the SF because they didn't like how large the X was. I actually love the extra real estate on my X. The SF is a great phone, though.. but only if you get lucky and get one that doesn't have any of its numerous known issues.

At $99, I couldn't be happier with choosing to get the X over the SF. Only now with the SF being offered free again at BB am I on the fence of which would have been better to go with. That's right, if you gave me $100 I'd consider using a slightly inferior phone for my needs hahaha.

Upvote 0
Once bot and a couple of the other guys jumped over to the Fascinate I got really curious about it. So I was at the Verizon Wireless store last week and I wound up playing aroud with it for a good 35 - 40 minutes. I compared games, video playback, UI... just about everything I could think of. And I must say, honest to God that I did not see what the big deal was. For one thing, I could not notice an ounce of extra brightness in the screen as compared to my X in direct sunlight, and that is the God's honest truth. I did as many direct comparisons with the screens as I could possibly think of, and neither of them beat the other one as far as I was concerned. They are both excellent screens, there's just 'more to love' with the X screen.

The video actually loaded faster on my X. I made sure to hit the play button at exactly the same time, and it was quite noticable that it was loading faster on my phone than on the Samsung. The only reason I could see for anyone wanting it over the DX is if they thought the DX was too bulky. I certainly don't. But to be honest, I wouldn't call anyone stupid if they said it was too big for their tastes. It is a huge phone, I'll give it that. Not that the Fascinate is tiny by any stretch, but it does feel good in the palm of your hand.

Girls expecially I can understand shying away from the X because most females like their stuff to be 'dainty'... not obnoxious like the DX (can be) considered by some. But me, well lets just say when the original Blackberry came out everyone thought it was the most ridiculously enormous phone ever created. I took a lot of heat for that phone. But at that time they were making phones smaller and smaller and smaller. Not unlike that SNL clip where Will Ferrell has that phone the size of a snow pea, that's where phones were headed through most of the 2000's. Which was great for battery makers, because they didn't have to power these huge screens all day long.

Now this phone dwarfs that BB, but I still don't care about the size of it because for me it's perfect. I don't know if I'd want one much bigger than this to be honest, but this size fits my needs very nicely.

So after that shoot-out I felt very at ease that I had picked up the right phone for myself. I won't go as far as to say that had I originally picked up the Fascinate that I'd be unhappy with it... heck if that was the phone I'd gotten used to I might not be willing to trade it for an X either. When you get used to a device you develop a fondness for it much like you might for a pet. So anything else is going to have a hard time competing for your admiration until you step away from it for a little while.

But I for one, am very happy with my pet DX.

Reactions: XBarbarian
Upvote 0
Another user of the Fascinate for a week here. My wife loves her Fascinate, but I am happier with the X.

Truth be told, I would not have upgraded so soon if it wasn't for the BOGO Verizon was promoting on the Fascinate. Then when I was going to return the Fascinate, I tried to get my wife to go back to her Eris so I could get my upgrade reset, but she wasn't happy about that. :rolleyes: :D

And that's my X Odyssey. ;)

Upvote 0
Similar story here. They were doing the BOGO Droid/Eris free and my fiancee and I were both on Blackberries. She was the one who talked me into trying them out, so I did... reluctantly. After the weekend was over she wanted to go back to her Blackberry, while I was hopelessly hooked on the market and all the possibilities that I had at my fingertips with the Android OS platform. So when she wanted to go back I didn't even attempt to talk her out of it. We took both phones back and I upgraded to the as yet still unreleased Droid X.

Best move I ever made. :D

Upvote 0
To be fair to the Fascinate with your tests, Outlaw, you were testing your polished X with an unpolished Fascinate :p However, I very much agree that for many of us here.. had we started with a Fascinate and polished it the same we've done our X's, we probably would love the phone to death (GRANTED IT DIDN'T HAVE ANY OF ITS KNOWN ISSUES, lol).

I for one didn't want to play the gamble with the DInc of having one that sucks with battery life, so I held out to see how the X faired. After getting close to taking the leap from an old, shitty LG Chocolate to a X, the Fascinate caught my eye. On paper, the phone simply seemed like a great one to get. Then mainstream reviews and hands-on customer testimonials surfaced.. and I was quickly turned off by how Samsung continued to release more Galaxy S phones to different carriers knowing they had GPS, lag, and call quality issues with no immediate fix soon to be released. For me, the phone/navigation come first - the rooting, theming, overclocking are just a bonus. The X works great without a NEED to root it. The Samsung, while a beast when rooted, is very much a caged animal without rooting, something that a heavy percentage of people don't do. It simply spoke volumes to me about Samsung, and I'm not sure I can trust them in the mobile industry longterm.

Reactions: XBarbarian
Upvote 0
They are both great phones...the bad GPS and weak call/data signal is what kills the Fascinate! Otherwise I felt it was a really good device, however im pretty hooked on my Droid X at the moment. But like someone said, different strokes for different folks..

Same here with the GPS...I use my GPS all the time playing golf and its a must for me.

Upvote 0
Plus don't forget there's probably a good chance that the X gets official Gingerbread. I'd say chances are slim to none on the Fascinate/Vibrant/Captivate.

Samsung is 2-3 months and counting behind Motorola (and HTC) in delivering 2.2. They'll never be able to put together Gingerbread in the support lifetime of the device.

Upvote 0
having been able to compare both phones as i have had them boot rooted and tinkered with, they are both great.

I sold my x and jumped ship more as a testament to my hatred of what motorola had done than the actual droid x itself. It was a solid device and I liked it.

I have had the fascinate now and its rooted, de-binged, and over clocked with the voodoo lagfix. While its only 2.1 u1 at the moment and awaiting froyo, its a beast. Trying to compare a stock fascinate using touchwiz(or any galaxy s phone) to one using adw or lp and voodoo oc kernel is a terrible, terrible comparison.

The fascinate flies and is fantastic with video and gaming. The build quality is better on the x but the fasinate isnt garbage either. I have found battery life to be virtually equal now that the battery is broken in as with equal use at the end of the day I was always at 60% on my x and im at about the same on my sf.

call quality was better on the x, but in my experience anway the sf's isnt that much worse or as bad as many have complained about. Data is over 3g is just as fast and Ive had no issues loosing 3g.

GPS is bad, theres no hiding that and if you need gps a lot than the sf is not for you (we ll see if it gets updated for that at some point)

Wifi, again in my experience, is much better on the sf. On verizon 25/15 internet at my house by the router the x topped out at 18 up and the sf pulls the full 25 down. About 50 feet from the router the x was anywhere from 8-10 down and the sf is still 12-14 down.

Obviously everyone is going to be a fanboy/fangirl for their own device and bash whatever they don't own, but at least verizon has a lot of great android choices. Unless motorola (and we ll see about htc) reverses its policy towards attempting to lockdown the device I won't support them, and I'll look for an alternative.

Samsung is slow to update their phones which stinks, but hopefully soon we ll have froyo for the galaxy s phones and really be able to compare the x and sf more closely (i will say I'll like the sf on 2.2's chances :D)

And to speculate on gingerbread for any phone at this point is pissing into the wind. Yes the dx is the flagship of motorola at the moment (sorry d2) but as soon as their new monster phone comes out, its anyone guess to what extent they make an effort to get future updates out. Samsung who knows, but with the rate I switch phones, it prolly wont matter.

Ok, I'm done. Everyone enjoy their phones and have a great day.

Upvote 0
I was extremely hesitant against getting the X because of the locked bootloader, but I've never had a phone to do a ton of a hacking with prior to really gauge what all is possible. With the X I've been able to remove Verizon's ******ed bloatware, play with some themes, use some cool apps that require root, used the wireless tethering for free, and will later venture into overclocking. Aside from devs being able to use kernels of Android updates from other phones to work with the SF, something that isn't much of a big thing due to the slowed updates with Android's future, what else is possible? I too cringed towards what Motorola was doing, but it hasn't hindered me from doing what I want with the phone, and other companies have begun doing the same with locking down their phones.

Upvote 0
It's true, the look and feel of the Droid X's metal frame beams of quality, and I can see the attraction to it becoming quite addicting. A lot of people with X's say, "I don't like plastic phones", but besides Motorola, most Android OEM's (HTC and Samsung being the main players) seem to offer only plastic equipment. Which is sort of a bummer for guys like me who will be looking towards another manufacturer once my days with the DX are behind me.

Motorola indeed does quite a few things right when making smartphones. I know the Droid Pro and the Defy will be coming out with Gorilla Glass (not sure about the rest) which, for all intents and purposes does not require a screen protector (a trend companies like Steinheil and Skinomi can NOT be happy about). I'm sure the first couple generation users who are used to ordering a screen protector with the phone, if not before hand (to make sure it's there when the phone arrives) will still slap a protector on it. But once people realize that you really don't need a screen protector with Gorilla Glass, they will soon be a thing of the past.

That will be a nice plus. I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 bucks just on this phone on trying out different screen protectors. So when the day comes that all smartphones have scratch proof glass on them, that will be something I won't miss. So the glass and the weather resistant characteristics of the Defy are most welcome in the smartphone market. I've been wondering when they were going to get serious and make these things more resistant to the elements.

I give them credit for those types of advances in the market. However I can't over look the fact that they seem very non-consumer friendly, load down their phones with annoying software that you're not supposed to uninstall, and IMO have TOO MANY options coming out. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a nice selection just as much as the next guy. But man it seems as though they're really going over board with the amount of devices they continue to come out with.

What alarms me is that they seem to be digging themselves into a hole with all these devices when it comes to supporting all of them. The DX's EOL date is March of next year, only 5 months away. But how can they continue to support all of their older models when they have such an array of new devices coming out that will obviously demand attention before the current phones get it. All the phones coming out before gingerbread hits, well you know all of those who buy the Droid Pro will expect it to get gingerbread before everyone else... what with it being marketed towards the business crowd and all. It was the same when I bought my DX, when froyo was being rolled out I sort of assumed (wouldn't go as far to say as I demanded though) that it was basically designed to upgrade to froyo, so I expected it would be one of the first devices to recieve it.

This is the hole I see them digging themselves into. Everyone with a new Motorola device will be screeming for attention over the other Motorola devices. I guess I hate to say this, but at least Steve Jobs only has to worry about one phone to keep up to date. Seems like that's a much easier goal to accomplish than the one Motorola is taking on. I do appreciate a selection from with to choose, don't mistake me on that. It's one of the advantages to this OS over some of the other offerings IMO. I just think Motorola is taking it upon themselves to offer more than they need to. We have several other Android OEM's to chose from already, we don't really need 10 options from one manufacturer.

Ok I'll shut my trap now.

Upvote 0
I was extremely hesitant against getting the X because of the locked bootloader, but I've never had a phone to do a ton of a hacking with prior to really gauge what all is possible. With the X I've been able to remove Verizon's ******ed bloatware, play with some themes, use some cool apps that require root, used the wireless tethering for free, and will later venture into overclocking. Aside from devs being able to use kernels of Android updates from other phones to work with the SF, something that isn't much of a big thing due to the slowed updates with Android's future, what else is possible? I too cringed towards what Motorola was doing, but it hasn't hindered me from doing what I want with the phone, and other companies have begun doing the same with locking down their phones.

Well you can do all that on the SF plus some, with lots more to come since the boot loader isn't locked.

I just got a SF yesterday and I will have it side by side to see how it stacks up to my X. But after only 12 hrs I can say its much easier to carry in my pocket and one handed use is also easier. The screen is, of course, very nice but slightly smaller (but I knew that).

I've already rooted it and loaded recovery and will hacking the sheet out of it today:D.

Once I have it setup like my X and dumped Bing I will start comparing. The one draw back right now is going back to 2.1 but that won't be for long.

I did pop open Google Maps this morning and it got a fix in 15 seconds on less but I hear it does have issues so I'll see.

So far though I like it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones