• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

X mic died but has resurrected. Should I keep insurance replacement X2 or send it back?

hkay1

Dec 27, 2010
Hi there. I spilled water on my X yesterday and bricked the microphone. Called for an insurance replacement. X's are out of stock so they are sending me an X2. Deductible is $89..

This morning the X seems to have have dried out and is working fine.

Since all seems to be working now, should I refuse the X to get my $$ back or are the improvements to the X2 worth it to go ahead and take keep it?

If the answer is keep the X2, does the X2 still fit in the X docking station??

I agree I would go with the X2 and sell the Original X for a few bucks or give it to someone. I would not use an upgrade and pay $200 to upgrade, but I would pay $100 and no upgrade to go to it and I would give my son my X.

he can't keep the X...the X2 will be an insurance replacement...meaning that to keep the X2 he must return the X...they will charge him retail (new retail mind you) on the X if he does not return it...my mom had this issue with my sisters phone a couple years back...the ear speaker on my sister's original LG enV went...they sent her a replacement...and then my mom sent back the broken phone...well it got lost somehow and my mom was accused of not sending it back...

they added a charge for full retail to her VZW bill...she ended up fighting the charge for over a year when one day while on the phone with VZW the phone miraculously showed up in a warehouse...

Upvote 0
he is exactly right....OP...does your new replacement phone have a physical Camera button?

correct...the X originally came with a 16GB card like most of us have...now it comes with a 2GB card...the X2 comes with an 8GB card...

the physical differences between the X and the X2 should be

1. the X2 will not have the red physical camera button on the bottom right side of the phone...

2. on the battery door it should say "Droid X2" in red

Upvote 0
yup. i remember when they swapped to putting the 2gb cards in them. People didn't like that. ....glad i got mine on launch day and snagged the 16gb card.

i Just checked..VZW is still selling the og DX on their website so i find it very hard to believe that the insurance company would be offering a DX2 as a replacement. Even if they had to send someone a brand new DX1 they wouldn't lose as much money and they would work on getting rid of now obsolete stock.

also i do have to mention again that i'm kind of glad they did away with one year contracts. I usually buy most of my phones at Full Retail....that 449$ price on the DX2 is nice! :)

Upvote 0
i Just checked..VZW is still selling the og DX on their website so i find it very hard to believe that the insurance company would be offering a DX2 as a replacement. Even if they had to send someone a brand new DX1 they wouldn't lose as much money and they would work on getting rid of now obsolete stock.

Well thanks for saying something because I must have heard what I wanted to hear. They sent me a Droid X - 2 mb.... Not a Droid X2...

So I am going to send it back.

That said, my new and improved question is: Now that my old phone is working, does anyone see a compelling reason to rush out and get the DX2 (I have an upgrade available) or should I just wait until I notice any water damage effects (it seems to be working fine now)

My line of thought is to wait and give them a chance to fix any bugs in the early DX2's...

Upvote 0
Well thanks for saying something because I must have heard what I wanted to hear. They sent me a Droid X - 2 mb.... Not a Droid X2...

So I am going to send it back.

That said, my new and improved question is: Now that my old phone is working, does anyone see a compelling reason to rush out and get the DX2 (I have an upgrade available) or should I just wait until I notice any water damage effects (it seems to be working fine now)

My line of thought is to wait and give them a chance to fix any bugs in the early DX2's...

I would not go out and buy the DX2, there will be plenty of better phones coming out by the time your current X craps out.

Upvote 0

I wonder if this is the same situation as with the original Droid Incredible. Assurion ran out of their replacements,and sent out Droid Xs. But you could still find new Dincs in allot of stores, including Verizon ones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones