1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

X mic died but has resurrected. Should I keep insurance replacement X2 or send it back?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hkay1, May 20, 2011.

1. hkay1

hkay1 Newbie

Hi there. I spilled water on my X yesterday and bricked the microphone. Called for an insurance replacement. X's are out of stock so they are sending me an X2. Deductible is $89..

This morning the X seems to have have dried out and is working fine.

Since all seems to be working now, should I refuse the X to get my $$ back or are the improvements to the X2 worth it to go ahead and take keep it?

If the answer is keep the X2, does the X2 still fit in the X docking station??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mazz0310

mazz0310 Android Enthusiast

Send me the X2, and I'll give you $89 + $1.

3. hkay1

hkay1 Newbie

LOL, thanks but I have to send back the other phone if I keep the X2...
    Anyone else with an opinion?

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

....i would keep the DX2 and brag to everyone about how you got yours for only 89$...also thanks to your post. Asuron .or however you spell it, is now getting SLAMMED by current DX1 owners trying to get a DX2 lol

5. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast

:D

6. mazz0310

I would absolutely keep the X2.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Nicer screen, dual core processor, for $89?

Sounds like a winner if you can afford the extra money. If it was a stretch to scrape together $89, then maybe your money is better spent elsewhere and you should send it back.

8. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

X2 all day every day for that price...

9. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

Keep X2, it's seems like a no brainer.

10. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert

I agree I would go with the X2 and sell the Original X for a few bucks or give it to someone. I would not use an upgrade and pay $200 to upgrade, but I would pay $100 and no upgrade to go to it and I would give my son my X.

11. simoncpj

simoncpj Newbie

I would actually expect that the X will see future issues. If you got water on the electronics and they stopped working then started again, the chances of future issues are high.

12. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

he can't keep the X...the X2 will be an insurance replacement...meaning that to keep the X2 he must return the X...they will charge him retail (new retail mind you) on the X if he does not return it...my mom had this issue with my sisters phone a couple years back...the ear speaker on my sister's original LG enV went...they sent her a replacement...and then my mom sent back the broken phone...well it got lost somehow and my mom was accused of not sending it back...

they added a charge for full retail to her VZW bill...she ended up fighting the charge for over a year when one day while on the phone with VZW the phone miraculously showed up in a warehouse...

13. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert

Gotcha, I would still keep the X2 for $89 without using my upgrade.

14. hkay1

hkay1 Newbie

Thanks All, I do believe I will keep the X2.

FYI...make sure if any one else does this you grab the 16mb SD card. X2 only comes standard with 2GB.

15. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

you sure they gave you an X2?....the X2 is suppossed to come with an 8GB card i thought? if you buy the X right now you get a 2GB stick...

16. trophynuts

he is exactly right....OP...does your new replacement phone have a physical Camera button?

17. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

correct...the X originally came with a 16GB card like most of us have...now it comes with a 2GB card...the X2 comes with an 8GB card...

the physical differences between the X and the X2 should be

1. the X2 will not have the red physical camera button on the bottom right side of the phone...

2. on the battery door it should say "Droid X2" in red

18. trophynuts

yup. i remember when they swapped to putting the 2gb cards in them. People didn't like that. ....glad i got mine on launch day and snagged the 16gb card.

i Just checked..VZW is still selling the og DX on their website so i find it very hard to believe that the insurance company would be offering a DX2 as a replacement. Even if they had to send someone a brand new DX1 they wouldn't lose as much money and they would work on getting rid of now obsolete stock.

also i do have to mention again that i'm kind of glad they did away with one year contracts. I usually buy most of my phones at Full Retail....that 449$ price on the DX2 is nice! :)

19. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert

a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that they didn't have to do a complete hardware design...just updated technology

20. hkay1

hkay1 Newbie

Well thanks for saying something because I must have heard what I wanted to hear. They sent me a Droid X - 2 mb.... Not a Droid X2...

So I am going to send it back.

That said, my new and improved question is: Now that my old phone is working, does anyone see a compelling reason to rush out and get the DX2 (I have an upgrade available) or should I just wait until I notice any water damage effects (it seems to be working fine now)

My line of thought is to wait and give them a chance to fix any bugs in the early DX2's...

21. mazz0310

I would not go out and buy the DX2, there will be plenty of better phones coming out by the time your current X craps out.

22. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member

Imho... Dx2

23. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast

Geeze, I'm thinking about dropping my droid x in some water now...

24. WA_Bob

WA_Bob Android Expert

I wonder if this is the same situation as with the original Droid Incredible. Assurion ran out of their replacements,and sent out Droid Xs. But you could still find new Dincs in allot of stores, including Verizon ones.

25. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert

They will give you a couple of months before charging you for the phone. You can hang on to it at least a few days and make sure your old phone works.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews