• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help x10 android 2.1 flaws

xxcysxx

May 12, 2010
i just upgraded my x10 to the new 2.1 firmware yesterday using the nordic firmware mod. and today i'm going back to 1.6 firmware. not impress at all !!

anyway, the first problem i'm having is all the mobile network settings disappeared when i activate/deactivate the airplane mode. the second problem i have is the picture in the text messaging is horrible. i send a picture from my wife's iphone to my newly updated 2.1 x10 and the picture in the text message was horrible. is it soo blurry and pixilated. before i updated to the 2.1 firmware i was able to receive pictures from her phone very clear. i also could not get the automatic network settings on this new 2.1 firmware, so i have to manually enter all the mobile network settings to get the mobile internet to work and multimedia messaging to work, and it sucks when it disappeared whenever airplane mode is activated. i have to reentered everything back in again. perhaps its because it's a nordic combined (b) firmware.

the new hspda, the "H" thing that replaces the "3G" symbol, does make a difference in internet surfing. it is fast compared to 3g.

for now i will stick with 1.6 to get my day going smoothly.

Hi.

I'm loving it despite one or two bugs. It seems network dependant as to whether or not not your simtool kit has "get settings", which made it easier for me to get them. A few people have remarked on the contact images but that will probably be sorted when an update comes. HSDPA is faster than 3G so you will notice a difference.

I'm using the Nordic btw.

Upvote 0
The network settings will be due to the nordic FW as your provider WILL add there settings to the FW that they release in due corse, some providers don't seem to be affected, I havn't had a prob with the settings on eather of my x10's on T-mobile.
As for the pic this is due to the new messaging UI to keep it smooth and looking clean all MMS pics are auto scalled once recived, but if you long press on the pic you can view the full size pic and they look fine.

I have to ask why where you using airplane mode?
And yes the HSPDA is better then 3g but the phone has always supported it, all SE had done is added a symble to show you when its connected to HSPDA or 3g, this is more for people that have data planes so you can see when your likly to get charged extra :)

But yes 2.1 isn't with out tis problems but remember its due to useing a version not ment for you phone.

Upvote 0
As for the pic this is due to the new messaging UI to keep it smooth and looking clean all MMS pics are auto scalled once recived, but if you long press on the pic you can view the full size pic and they look fine.

morpheus2n2,

are you seriously telling me you are not noticing sms picture quality issue. can you send a picture taken with another camera phone to your android 2.1 x10 phone and see if you receive the picture clearly.

when i receive a picture taken with the iphone 3gs to my 2.1 x10 the picture is blurry and pixelated. the picture is blurry and pixelated when i tried to view the picture in full size, not while it is in texting mode. i even tried to long press the picture and it appear there is some menu trying to show up but disappeared away very quickly. its uncontrollable. the picture appear like it is a scalled or blown up version of the thumb nailed image displayed in the texting screen.
i'm sure this is not a network related problem because i can receive the same picture and it look very clearly when i downgraded to android 1.6.

so tell me if you are really receiving a picture in your text message and it really look clear when you try to view the text message picture in full size. i will have a look at it one more time if that's the case.

as for the airplane mode, i was simply playing with all settings to make sure everything is in proper working order before i commit myself to it. that's just me.
so there is no reason why enable/disable of airplane mode should my mobile network settings be wiped. perhaps this is a bug, but it might be because of the nordic firmware related.
will see if the north america firmware fixes these issues. otherwise i will hang on to 1.6 for a while before all the bug is worked out.

Upvote 0
Yep thats what im telling you my partner and me send pics alot of are kids and yes they look funky in the message but as i said long press and you can view the pic in full at hires, but also remember it could also be the other phone as well!
As we both have x10's and theres very little diffrence what it looked like in 1.6, but as you said your sending it from a iphone 3gs that only has a 3 megapixal cam!!! and iphones are know for scalling pics down when sending them as mms, best bet is get a pic sent to you by a diff phone and see if its the same as there all phones and networks handle mms diffrently.
If its still the same double check you settings etc as I said theres a lot of diffrent factours to take into account with mms.

I had my mum send me a pic from here Nokia and yes it look a bit fuzzy but long press and full view and it look fine.

As for airplane mode yeah that sounds like a bug not tested it myself :)

I will also get my partner to have her friends send her some pics and see what hapens there.

Upvote 0
:thinking: Have I missed something?

How do you mean? anyone one that has 2.1 on Nordic FW that's not from that region is running the wrong FW for you phone,as each region has slightly different versions of 2.1 these are mainly superficial but are there for legal reason as each country has different laws for wireless communication.
Also the network providers always add there own crap :)

Upvote 0
iphones are know for scalling pics down when sending them as mms

well, even if the iphone is scalling down the picture when sending them, then why does my 1.6 android shows them pictures clearly where as the 2.1 android is blurly and pixelated. i'm refering to the picture when you long press the thumbnail image and view the picture full screen. it look blury and pixelated.

but you said yours is clear when you view it full screen. this bothers me. you're not in the states and using tmobile, are you?

Upvote 0
because on 1.6 they didn't care about performance, they do now

is it that much of a problem - its only scaled in the thread not in the memory - once you open the image to view it, then the size is perfect and not pixelated - unless it was a poor effort of a photo in the first place, in which case there is no cure

tell whoever is sending them to you to get a better camera lol

Upvote 0
well, even if the iphone is scalling down the picture when sending them, then why does my 1.6 android shows them pictures clearly where as the 2.1 android is blurly and pixelated. i'm refering to the picture when you long press the thumbnail image and view the picture full screen. it look blury and pixelated.

but you said yours is clear when you view it full screen. this bothers me. you're not in the states and using tmobile, are you?

NO uk tmobile :) I can see why this would be a pain seems strange that theres such a big diffrence between FW's and also handsets, I think this is something that needs looking at by a wider audiance that way we can try and find a comanality :)

Also as MrWomble said SE where more proformace focused with this update, although to be hoenst if they hadn't gone with 386mb of ram then they could have left a lot in the update instead of changing over 170 diffrent lines of code!

X10iUser yes thats ture sorry I was just trying to point out that some of the diffrences between regions could affect handsets that are not from that region :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones