• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help X10 Battery

Y

yenial

I've just bought a 2nd hand X10 which is 2 years old. The phone has the original stock battery and I've noticed that it's not lasting that long, maybe about 5 hours with HSDPA and playing a few games.

I've looked into extended life batteries, but I don't fancy the huge back which comes with the 3600MhA batteries.

As the battery is 2 years old, is it worth getting a new stock battery or maybe getting an 1800MhA battery?

I've just bought a 2nd hand X10 which is 2 years old. The phone has the original stock battery and I've noticed that it's not lasting that long, maybe about 5 hours with HSDPA and playing a few games.

I've looked into extended life batteries, but I don't fancy the huge back which comes with the 3600MhA batteries.

As the battery is 2 years old, is it worth getting a new stock battery or maybe getting an 1800MhA battery?

The first time you used your new battery, did you let it run down to no power before plugging it in and charging it?

I know there is an option to wipe battery stats, but I don't know how to do it on a phone that isn't rooted and has xRecovery boot console.

You don't think it has anything to do with the amount of junk your phone has added over the past couple years? You keep your phone clean and have reinstalled Android on it?

Just like a computer running Windows, it is highly suggested you reinstall Windows every couple of years if you want your computer to run nicely.

Upvote 0
Well when I got the phone it had been factory restored and was running 2.1, I upgraded it today through PC companion to 3.0.

Just wondered if it would be better to buy a new stock battery or a 1800MhA?

I would highly suggest backing up everything and doing a Factory Reset (which is described as a common fix after upgrading from 2.1 to 2.3)

2.3 is the most recent version.

I personally would never buy any other battery than the type that the phone comes with. But then again, I have had my phone for 2 years and it's battery is still fine. I can listen to music for 10 hours straight and it will lose maybe 50 percent of it's battery power.

Then again, I know I don't have any garbage apps on my phone hogging resources and wasting power. I also turn off my data and never leave wifi or data on unless I am using them.

My guess would be, if you have an old battery and a new replacement battery and they both operate around the same amount of time, then the problem might not be with both batteries.

Might be some crap setting or a small problem during the upgrade, then again...who knows.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
I agree with beau420 about using the original battery that the phone comes with instead of a 3rd party. The phone might not work as properly as it should. And just to confirm you posted on the X10 section but under your details you say you have an X10 mini. I only mentioned this to confirm whether you could try to update to android 2.3 instead of the 2.1 that you have at the moment.

Also when the phone was new did the battery last as long as it does now or did it last longer? As you may know the battery wears out with use and if you are a heavy user it might not last as long as it used to.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how the battery performed, I bought it 2nd hand from ebay.

Does it really make a huge difference if I use a 3rd party battery?

Most of the time no. But you never know the quality of a 3rd party battery. I have seen pics of crap batteries that leak fluid.

When I bought a new battery for my old Blackberry off ebay, it worked fine.

If you bought the phone second hand, I highly suggest doing two things if you haven't.

Reflash using PC Companion (from Sony) to reinstall the newest software on the phone. And then when the phone starts up, go into Settings and Privacy and chose to do a Factory Reset.

90 percent of the problems I have encountered with all Android phones I attribute to something on the phone, not the hardware. So, if you think getting a new battery will do it....get one. Or find someone who has a phone with the same battery and borrow there's....see if it works any better.

I just think there is some junk on your phone or something that is setup that is drastically reducing it's battery life....that or you are playing a game that is very intensive on the phone.

Some games will completely waste the phones battery.

Even on my buddies brand new Samsung Galaxy S2, there is a racing game he plays that will only let him play for about 1 hour before it goes through more than 50 percent of his battery. Other puzzle games, he can play for 4 hours and it will only go down 25-30 percent.

Upvote 0
To improve battery life...

Disable any feature not in use.. wifi, bluetooth, broadband, etc .. etc. (common sense really)

In wireless & networks .. go to .. mobile network settings & change network mode to gsm only (unlesss wcdma is needed)

As said earlier some apps will drain your battery and even screw up your os... choose apps with caution and only get the ones you need.

I am using a 3600mah battery and cover from ebay ($20?) and it works fine. It does make the phone thicker but not that noticeable.

BTW... All android "superphones eat batteries"... it is the nature of the beast because of their large screen and features.

Reactions: beau420
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones