• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

X10 on AT&T US: A Few Questions

After three years of iPhones, I'm all set with that ecosystem and I want to move on the Android. I followed the Rachel UI since it was demoed last fall and have had an interest every since. Now that the phone is finally in the US I have a couple of questions:

1. Why is AT&T's No Commitment Pricing $349.99 while Sony Style's is $499.99? Neither price involves a new contract or extension.

2. I've read something about Android devices on AT&T being limited in terms of apps. Does that mean I can only install apps from the Marketplace? If that's the case, is it that big of a deal? I've never felt the need to jailbreak my iPhone, for what that's worth.

3. Other there any other downsides to getting the AT&T phone over a import/unlocked model?

4. Anything else an iOS convert should know?

Thanks for the help. I've poked around on these (and other) forums but couldn't really find black and white answers to my questions.

After three years of iPhones, I'm all set with that ecosystem and I want to move on the Android. I followed the Rachel UI since it was demoed last fall and have had an interest every since. Now that the phone is finally in the US I have a couple of questions:

1. Why is AT&T's No Commitment Pricing $349.99 while Sony Style's is $499.99? Neither price involves a new contract or extension.

2. I've read something about Android devices on AT&T being limited in terms of apps. Does that mean I can only install apps from the Marketplace? If that's the case, is it that big of a deal? I've never felt the need to jailbreak my iPhone, for what that's worth.

3. Other there any other downsides to getting the AT&T phone over a import/unlocked model?

4. Anything else an iOS convert should know?

Thanks for the help. I've poked around on these (and other) forums but couldn't really find black and white answers to my questions.

1) No clue on this, it's also strange that Sony is selling it with a contract at $129 while AT&T is $149. Maybe they are selling it at $349 so people stuck in contracts still have an option to upgrade.

2) It's not a big deal at all because there are still several ways to install non-market apps without rooting (sort of like jailbreaking).

3) The only downside would be if you sign a contract. Not really a downside unless this sort of thing bothers you. Also, you can debrand the AT&T X10a to a generic X10a and it would be the same thing as an imported model. You would still have to get it unlocked but it seems that you are on AT&T anyway.

4) There will be a learning curve, some things work very differently, some work almost the same. There is a lot more customization options and it's easy to go overboard with widgets.

Reactions: WebScud
Upvote 0
#1:
The price on sony style is the msrp...the price it should be sold, but any retailers can sell it for less...

#2:
rooting is to android as jailbraking is to iOS... it's not only AT&T problem to get stuck on the market...basicly any providers will get you to the market by default...if you want to get non-markets apps, you can find a few apps that will let you install from your pc.

#3 Not really much except the price you will pay for the device...just take the best price you can find since you can debrand and unlock it with ease by yourself.

#4 There is a lot to know since with the android OS sky (or your phone memory) is the limit...there is so much you can do i don't think you can get through everything.

Reactions: WebScud
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones