• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root XDA gangnam style prerequisites

optimusv45

Jan 25, 2012
West Virginia
Gangnam style has just added support for Evo V. I dont think dastin has changed Installation section of his post just for the Evo V. it says on his post "Have latest Sprint firmware installed", do you guys think i have to do "turn ur phone into a 3D" for this rom ? Also is TWRP 1.1.1 ok with this rom ?

Gangnam style has just added support for Evo V. I dont think dastin has changed Installation section of his post just for the Evo V. it says on his post "Have latest Sprint firmware installed", do you guys think i have to do "turn ur phone into a 3D" for this rom ? Also is TWRP 1.1.1 ok with this rom ?

well you certainly want to be s-off and running a hboot under 1.50, so it would benefit you to do most of what that thread tells you to do.

Pretty much fixes a lot of things that's wrong with the phone that a rom can't fix anyhow.

Upvote 0
I got this message when I tried flashing gagnamstyle VM
screenshot_2013-01-04005152.png
..running s-off , h boot 1.04
I'm actually using regular sprint gagnamstyle and flashed with no problems is running really smooth by the way.

Upvote 0
Wait so according to that image it didn't flash,, but you say it flashed? I'm just trying to clarify that.

Over at xda the developer had two links one for VM version and second was sprint version.
I downloaded both versions. First one I tried flashing was VM version ( I did a clean full wipe before flashing to make sure) then I got that error message. Then a minute later I did another full wipe To flash sprint version and It flashed with no problems, I'm currently using sprint version and it hasent given me any problems is running smoothly I like this one compared to all the cm10 ROMs I have flashed to my phone.

Upvote 0
Over at xda the developer had two links one for VM version and second was sprint version.
I downloaded both versions. First one I tried flashing was VM version ( I did a clean full wipe before flashing to make sure) then I got that error message. Then a minute later I did another full wipe To flash sprint version and It flashed with no problems, I'm currently using sprint version and it hasent given me any problems is running smoothly I like this one compared to all the cm10 ROMs I have flashed to my phone.

Have u turn ur V into a 3D? Since he made two versions , one VM, one sprint, maybe I don't have to turn my phone into 3D and just need to take the VM version ?

Upvote 0
I got this message when I tried flashing gagnamstyle VM
screenshot_2013-01-04005152.png
..running s-off , h boot 1.04
I'm actually using regular sprint gagnamstyle and flashed with no problems is running really smooth by the way.

Looking at your screenshot, I see the problem. It looks like that rom for Virgin Mobile is for the EVO V, not the Evo V 4g 3d. There is a difference. The error is popping up because it's looking for product type "shootervm". Our phone is just "shooter". Therefore this will never install until that is fixed.

Upvote 0
Dastin was supposed to fix the VM version. To get old VM one to work I got it to flash but had to go into the updater script in the first line in assert get.prop and changed "shootervm" to "shooter" and also in build. prop I did same thing in the line ro.build.product. Actually I believe I changed everything in build.prop to "shooter"

However, I could not get MMS to work. Even following all the most recent fixes out by davidmargolin, krowley3, ramjet73, wolfu . even tried changing APNs.. Anyway I just mentioned it for info, maybe it will help some one. I'm NO DEV

Edit: Just downloaded and looked at the VM version. Dastin DID make changes to updater script and build.prop. Looks like it should flash. I will try it later today.

Edit #2: I was finally able to get GANGNAM-STYLE-01032013-shootervm MMS to work.

In "build.prop" change lines 146, 147, 148 that look like below:
146 ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=311490
147 ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin
148 Mobile

To look like this:
146 ro.cdma.home.operator.numeric=310120
147 ro.cdma.home.operator.alpha=Virgin Mobile

Then Follow Instructions found here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/648971-zip-mms-fix-cm-aosp-aokp-thanks-wolfu.html

Reactions: karlyy7x
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones