1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

XML Export - Now What? Can I convert to text?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scudder, Nov 1, 2010.

1. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Hello...

I have been using a few Task/To Do list apps most of which export in XML format. My question: NOW WHAT?? I was clueless about the use of XML except its use with databases and did a little research on the web but can't seem to figure out how to use it or convert it into a useful form for me.

I really like the apps I am currently using and was HOPING to be able to simply export my task/to do lists in simple text but that isn't an option; only XML. Is there a way to take the XML file and convert it to text?? I just don't quite know what to do with the XML file... :(

THANK YOU!!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Little bump up...anyone???

3. TBon350

TBon350 Member

XML is already just a text file, it's just organized funky like HTML. Because of the way XML is read/standardized, it would be difficult to convert the straight XML into plain text. (do elements use attributes or sub-elements)

You know you can double click an XML file on your computer to see it in the browser though, right? You can also download a number of XML file viewers for free.

4. scudder

scudder Android Expert

Yes, noticed the elements similar to the HTML tags that I am familiar with. But I was familiar with options to convert HTML to text, just not XML. My XML export is a simple list of items...like a grocery list...and just seemed/seems like ALOT of work to extract the text from the elements just to get my text list. I gotta export from the app to my card and/or email to myself....then I have the XML file...gotta get a view to view it...then perhaps cut and paste the text or further export as a plain ol' text file.

Thanks though...I'll try to find an XML viewer that might simply export the text without the tags...

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews