• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

XO Skin arrived today... not what everyone makes it out to be

andyandroid81891

May 5, 2010
Hey guys I just got my XO skin today. With all the hype they've been getting in this forum I was obviously excited but after just having applied it to my device... I've got to say that I'm pretty disappointed. I applied the skin as directed and with notable care but this thing is crazy bubbly. There are small nearly invisible bubbles which are all over and mimic the short of orange peel affect and then there are more pronounced bubbles which look more like that standard bubble you would expect when applying a screen protector. I'm going to give it a day or so before I make my final judgement but right now I'm REALLY disappointed.

Hey guys I just got my XO skin today. With all the hype they've been getting in this forum I was obviously excited but after just having applied it to my device... I've got to say that I'm pretty disappointed. I applied the skin as directed and with notable care but this thing is crazy bubbly. There are small nearly invisible bubbles which are all over and mimic the short of orange peel affect and then there are more pronounced bubbles which look more like that standard bubble you would expect when applying a screen protector. I'm going to give it a day or so before I make my final judgement but right now I'm REALLY disappointed.

This is normal and it will disappear. I left my phone on with playing a movie w/ no volumes for few hrs, and by the time it's over, most of big bubles disappeared.

Upvote 0
applied mine yesterday. I've tinted window before so I didn't think this was going to be an issue... After a couple of minutes when I returned to my phone there were two or three large bubbles and a number of smaller ones. I was about to panic. I was mainly concerned with the large ones. But, as the directions suggested I waited some time and they did disappear. I have one minor imperfection on the far side that you can't see with the phone on, but, I am hoping by tomorrow (still under 24 hours of dry time) it will disappear as well (fingers crossed). I will still sing praises for them even if that little imperfection remains as it's the best application experience I've had. Besides, I now feel comfortable again carrying my phone in my pocket.

I would suggest waiting a little longer if you're still under the 48 hour application time.

Upvote 0
I have no issues with the XO as far as the application is concerned and I was able to get it bubble free and perfectly placed. My problem with it so far is the rubbery texture of the material. I have never used a Zagg before but have used Phantomskinz and this one seems to be much more rubbery in feel than the Phantomskinz were. On the plus side though, I feel the screen is much more protected than it was naked and there is very little orange peel.

Terrantula

Upvote 0
I have my galaxy nexus screen protector still on out of the box. i have a XO screen Protector in the box waiting. How bad is the rubbery texture on the XO is it like unbearable, how much do your fingers catch?

Its definitely not unbearable, but it makes me miss the naked screen. It will stay on until I find something better though. It really is the only issue I have with the XO. Went on great, has great coverage, and looks nice.

Terrantula

Upvote 0
i just got my second xo skin...

i emailed them because the first one didn't cover the entire screen to the edges. the replacement one they sent is the exact same. kinda pissed at this point, and will ask for a refund.

i now understand they have two different sizes on their website, but its not clearly indicated. one size is smaller and made to fit with their cases which i do not have.

you figure if i complained that it doesn't cover the edges, they would use some common sense and send me the larger size, but no. :mad:

Upvote 0
The bubbles go away as long as they're small and you applied it right. No sense being over-dramatic about it, it says this exactly in the instructions that came with it, it needs to set and totally dry for a day before you judge it. It's still not as clear as a naked screen but it's at least as good as any other screen protector I've seen

Upvote 0
I'll admit I was having my doubts about the XO screen protector when I installed it last night. I had to resist the urge to get mad after there were so many bubbles on the screen (I had even left the stock protector on just to make sure I was off to a good start with the new protector), yet low-and-behold I awoke this morning and all but one very very small bubble was still there and it looks like it's on its way out.

Give it time to cure and you'll be a happy camper.

Upvote 0
I have installed several XO protectors on my devices as well as for friends and family. The best thing to do is just let it cure for at least 12 hours. My moms happened to have 2 minor bubbles on hers that took 3 days to cure, I blame myself for that one. LOL But they will go away in due time. I couldnt be happier with mine on both my GNex and GTab 10.1.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones