1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Xoom connecting to password protected Wireless Tether

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamul1, Apr 14, 2011.

1. gamul1

gamul1 Android Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2010
    Manager
    Suburbs of Boston
    Not sure of the right folder for this one - is it all things rooted because I am rooted and using a rooted app? Is it troubleshooting because I can get it to work? Or main Xoom because I am wondering if there is a better tethering app that works with password protection?

OK - here is the stuff:
    I can't get the Xoom to connect to my phones wireless connection *WHEN* I put a password on it. I am using Wireless Tether.

Background - I have been using Wireless Tether with no password perfectly fine for my Xoom to connect to in those situations when I am not in range of a wireless signal and I want to connect. But - last night I was at my son's school for a band concert and within 10 minutes of enabling tethering, 6 other people jumped on my WiFi. I shit the tethering down to kick them off because I don't know how else ot boot them.

I then restarted and added a Password to it. My Xoom finds the signal OK, but it just keeps cycling between connecting/authenticating and then back again - while never really connecting.

Is there some way I need to configure either the Xoom or the phone app Wireless Tether in order to really connect with a password?

On a related note - is there another wireless tethering app that works better for password connections?

Advertisement

2. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Disabled Veteran - USMC
    Do you meet the Kernal Requirements? "NetFilter-Enabled Kernel"

I personally found it much easier to just find a ROM with an unlocked Sprint HotSpot. I've got the EVO Running MikFroYo 4.5 .. it has the SHS unlocked and I tether my Xoom through that all the time. I have it set up for WPA2 (AES) Security (the Sprint Hot Spot I mean) and the Xoom connects to it flawlessly. Have you considered something like that? It might be easier.

3. commander24

commander24 Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I use Wireless Tether with a password without any problems. You might want to remove the profile ("forget network") you were using without the password on the xoom and create a new one with the password your now using. I'm not sure if Wireless... has mac addr locking, but that would be another option if you don't want to use a password.

4. gamul1

Apr 24, 2010
    Manager
    Suburbs of Boston
    Tried removing both the old and new and added the new again but it did not makes difference. Don't know much about the Mac address thing but I can try play around.

Thanks!

5. gamul1

Apr 24, 2010
    Manager
    Suburbs of Boston
    I don't even know enough about what I used when I rooted to answer this. I did the basic rooting method for the incredible using instructions from the unlocked site.

6. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    Disabled Veteran - USMC
    As far as I can remember, when I first rooted my EVO all I did was just aquire root and used the stock ROM and the stock KERNEL and the first week or so all I ever used was the Wireless Tether app. So what I'm trying to say here is, IF all you want to do is tether with this Wireless Tether app, then you shouldn't have to do anything else but aquire root, unless the developer of WT app changed things around on his/her app.

Not sure what is up, as it's pretty cut and dry (so to speak). I still stand by my original comment about it being easier just get a ROM with the SHS unlocked and flash it. This is of course a personal choice for all. Good luck.