1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Xoom: iTunes Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ghodzilla5150, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ghodzilla5150

ghodzilla5150 Android Enthusiast

I have a bunch of Disney Blu-Ray movies (for my 2 kids) that have the Digital Copy. I have converted those digital copies to work with iTunes (as I have a 32gb iPod Touch that my kids watch these movies while we are out and about). Will we be able to download iTunes to the Xoom so I can transfer these Digital Copies to the Xoom for viewing while out and about AND in the car. This would be nice. It's a feature that's important to my Tablet purchase. Thx

Advertisement

2. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member

Itunes is exclusive to apple products. There is software called double twist that takes your playlist from itunes and converts them to other devices. As long we arent talking about drm protected material i think double twist might work for you.

3. ghodzilla5150

You don't have to have an Apple product to use iTunes. I have iTunes on my PC and Laptop (neither are MAC's) and can play these digital copies on both. I just have to open iTunes>Movies and choose which Digital Copy to play. I was just wondering if we can download software (like iTunes or Zune) to the Xoom.

I am starting to wonder if we will be regulated to using only Apps (like my EVO or any other Android based unit). I want to use the Opera Browser on the Xoom (as this is my Browser of choice) and wonder if I will be able to just download Opera and use it (like my PC) OR will I have to use the Dolphin Browser like my phone. What's the purpose of a tablet if we can't download software to it like a laptop (as this is what I will mainly use it like, sitting on couch and browsing). I have not heard of how software will work.

4. melantus

melantus Well-Known Member

Sorry i was talking about stuff bought on itunes like music and movies. I realise now your talking a about dvd digital copy (missed the blue ray part lol). Theres no itunes app for non apple devices that im aware of so i dont think you can get itunes on a xoom.

Honeycomb isnt a full blown os like windows 7 where you can download any software you want. You will still be tied to the app market to get the software need.

5. Proph

Proph Android Enthusiast

however i believe opera is in the android market
    http://market.android.com/details?id=com.opera.browser

i guess to each their own, i personally hate the itunes software it is horrible... however on the xoom it has a built in media manager. all you have to do is dump the files on the xoom (just plug the xoom into your pc and copy from pc paste in xoom) and when you fire up the media software it will find all your files and organize them. there are a few other media organization software in the android market but i haven't used any of them personally so i don't know if they do the sync from pc to xoom i think you are looking for (where you create playlist etc... in itunes then when you plug in your ipod it syncs over).

6. ghodzilla5150

Hopefully the Xoom will be able to play iTunes Codecs (ALAC). I wonder what types of Codecs (Movies and Music) will be supported by the Xoom. Will it play WMV, WMA, AAC, MPEG-4, H.264, MP4 & M4V. Will be interesting to see what the Xoom will play and what it won't. I really want to play my digital copy movies.

I researched and MPEG-4 is what the Digital Copy movies are converted to (to play/view on the iPad/iPod Touch). Hopefully the Xoom supports MPEG-4. If not, I will have to find Software that will convert MPEG-4 to whatever video format/codec the Xoom supports

7. ghodzilla5150

p8ntballah21 likes this.
  8. ghoticov

ghoticov Member

I have the xoom and can confirm it will play .m4a files... I was SHOCKED! No need to convert my whole music library... woohoooooooo!

9. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Android Enthusiast

It will play m4v's if you know how to "convert" them to mp4's. Basically it means ripping the protection off of them. That discussion is not appropriate for this forum, but, it's at least possible to do. I already tested my Dark Knight mp4 that I made from my digital copy.

10. ghoticov

ghoticov Member

I didn't do anything to my m4a files and they all work. I didn't remove drm or anything. I thought I would have to but didn't. The same files that won't play on my droid x will play on my xoom just using the standard music player.

marctronixx likes this.
  11. gophish

gophish Lurker

Just joined so please excuse me if this has been covered already.

I have an iPhone 4 (AT&T) and synch/backup my iPhone songs, apps, contacts, etc. with iTunes on my laptop. Will I be able to synch/backup my iphone with the Xoom? If not, I may wait for the Ipad2 to come out.

Thanks!

12. coasty163

coasty163 Lurker

Anyone have a solution for moving .m4a files from iTunes to Xoom? It looks like a couple of you had not trouble, but when I try the transfer the Xoom says they are incompatible files.

13. Lros79

Lros79 Lurker

I'm having the same issue. I can undestand that the Xoom says wmv files aren't compatible, but when you tell it to copy anyways it just tells you flat out no? huh? This is ridiculous.

I bought Tron Legacy to get the Digital Copy for my Xoom and I can't transfer it. So the Xoom comes out with this bigger screen showing movies playing on it, but it can't play Digital copies of movies? Whaaaaa? Does anyone else find this is a blatant fail from Motorola?

If anyone knows how I can watch digital copies on my Xoom please let me know.

14. sarahdm

sarahdm Lurker

So, this is my first time posting to any kind of droid forum. Anyway, I was spending hours trying to convert music files to work on my Xoom and also for my kids' DSi's. Turns out you can convert them right from itunes. Go to the Advanced tab in itunes and create an AAC version. Move this version to your portable device and it works (at least it worked on my Xoom and on the DS players. Cool. My guess is the people who thought it worked magically happened to already have the AAC version of the file in itunes.

Tip: Remove the non-AAC version from itunes to avoid confusion over which one is the non-AAC version.

15. sarahdm

sarahdm Lurker

So, this is my first time posting to any kind of droid forum. Anyway, I was spending hours trying to convert music files to work on my Xoom and also for my kids' DSi's. Turns out you can convert them right from itunes. Go to the Advanced tab in itunes and create an AAC version. Move this version to your portable device and it works (at least it worked on my Xoom and on the DS players. Cool.

However, I did try it for a movie I had downloaded from itunes but it did not work. Maybe AAC is only music (sorry for my ignorance). Why is this so complicated when it seems easy for others...yikes.

16. candan1

candan1 Lurker

Ok I'm new here I have a Samsung galaxy tablet and I wondered how to add itunes for crayola colorstudio hd

17. candan1

candan1 Lurker

Hi I'm new to this so please help me if u can. I bought crayola colorstudio for my grandson and I was wondering how to get I tunes to my galaxy tablet?