1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Xoom overclocked to 1.5 ghz

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xmr405o, Feb 27, 2011.

1. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009

Advertisement

2. joeski27

joeski27 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Though I did get confirmation from the Moto folks in the Moto Owners Forum that rooting your phone will make it ineligible for the 4G upgrade...just somethin' to think about here, as tempting as it may be.

3. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    Wow...folks are not wasting time developing for this. 1.5 already?

Amazing.

4. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    2 things, glad the Xoom isn't a phone then. And since this is a google experience device manufacturered by Motorola for as a development platform for Honeycomb (a.la., Nexus One and Nexus S)...this sounds like utter B.S. to me.

Sounds like the requirement that Best Buy put on some customers to have 1mo of data when there was no such requirement by Verizon or Motorola.

5. joeski27

joeski27 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Hey I don't like the sound of it either, but I'm just reporting what I was told on the Motorola forum by one of the forum admins. I agree though, being that this is supposed to be a Google experience device, are developers just supposed to not work on developing the device until after the 4G upgrade takes place? I would think not.

6. modru2004

modru2004 Newbie
    None

Sep 28, 2010
    id also like to point out the odds of one of there Reps knowing anything relevant at this point are slim to none.

how many times have you talked to a customer service rep got one answer, then talked to another, and got a completely different answer? happens quite often in my experience.

odds are the peons don't have much info at this stage, there normally kept out of the loop for a reason.

there should be no issue with the upgrade IMO. no where did they say that the device must be unmodified and still in warranty in order to receive the upgrade. i can understand them wanting you to return it to stock before they do it, but there should be no issue for anything you previously did IMO.

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    I agree. When rooting or modding a device, people need to use their own judgement. Hopefully the person who OC'd their Xoom can tell us if they rejected his device when he sends it in for the 4g upgrade.

8. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    IT Network Administrator
    Abbotsford, WI
    The other problem I think people are missing is the software when upgraded. Maybe I read things wrong but it sounds like they will not only be updating the hardware but doing a software update as well. They are probably going to reject rooted devices because they are not done using the same tools Moto has and the upgrade may well brick these things for all we know. Until someone has fool proof un-rooting options available I actually think I am going to leave mine stock until after the update. Koush had to put together a new kernel for root and there in lies the trouble replacing that Kernel is not something Moto is going to have done on each device that comes in for the 4G upgrade.

9. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2009
    Web Application Programmer
    Northern Virginia
    ^^^^
    This! Well said.

10. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    Why wouldn't they simply do a factory reset type deal by installing an updated version of their whole ROM? Wouldn't it be a bit embarrassing for them to have a significant portion of their customer base be complaining that they were denied the promised 4g update because they rooted their Android sporting Motorola device? -After all, it's that same customer base that helped catapult Google, Android and Motorola beyond the previous bar-setting Crapple.

My next question is, no matter what is released as far as software for the Xoom, isn't Android user development likey to far surpass it, just as it has done with each previous Android release?
    ...And the, finally, even if there is to be an actual hardware installation, won't that also likely become available for consumers as an after-market part?

I ask all this because I hope to be getting a Xoom fairly soon, though probably by the time I actually have it in my hands, 75% of my curiosities about it will have been answered.
    This thing (my wife's iPad) sucks, and she won't let me free it!

11. roninmoto

roninmoto Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    IT Consultant
    USA
    I have a question about overclocking. I know that when you over clock a PC it begins to generate a lot more heat and thus would require more cooling otherwise you will shorten the life of the equipment.

My question, How much heat is caused by the overclocking? What kind of damage is it going to do to the tablet if you leave it overclocked to 1500Mhz?

12. publicanimal

publicanimal Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 25, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    First of all, have no doubt that overclocking the Xoom to 1.5 GHz falls under the "do this at your own risk" category.

That said, it could most likely be considered to be safe. Here's some info I pinched directly from a comment by the dev who overclocked the Xoom in the video:

"It's stable at 1.5GHz for me. Heat isn't a huge issue (as far as danger/permanent damage goes), since the Google Tegra 2 kernels have built in thermal throttling. A day of medium usage running at 1.5GHz on the interactive governor has drained me down to 84% battery."

So it sounds like there are built-in heat protection mechanisms that will prevent a "meltdown". Not to claim that the devices are entirely analogous, but I have a Motorola Droid that's been overclocked for over a year and I haven't had any problems yet. Both the Droid and the Xoom have processors with ARM architecture which have a VERY solid track record when it comes to overclocking Android devices.

The best advice if you have any trepidation about overclocking might just be to wait a while and monitor the forums to see if you hear of any overclocking horror stories. I'd be pretty surprised if you do. It's not as though you'll be cursing the Xoom for being too slow while you wait it out.

13. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    In the forum dog house.
    OCed Droid owner here, as well. When it was first being put though the paces there was a LOT of this same concern, and consequently the forums were littered with misinfornation borne of speculation. Now we have a better understanding of what this processor can handle, and it'll take much less time for the overclocking waters to get fully tested.

...This keyboard really blows! Can't wait for Swype.