1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Xoom Screen Quality?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dunbar, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Dunbar

Dunbar Newbie

After reading a few of the reviews, I'm a little concerned about the screen quality. One review (forget which one) stated that webpages have blurry text and photos.

Time's review stated that:

"You may have noticed that I didn't unequivocally say that the Xoom's screen beats the iPad for movies. That's because it doesn't. I found videos, photos and other graphics to be blockier, blurrier, and/or duller than on the iPad and the Galaxy Tab."

This is not something that I was expecting. I thought with the Nvidia chip graphics on the screen would be spectacular. This is pretty disappointing, because it can't just be improved by a software update (I think).

Advertisement

2. Mitchrapp

Mitchrapp Android Enthusiast

I saw a video on here earlier said it has a better screen than the iPad, and for movies -- much better. Everyone has a different opinion. They're not going to all agree.

And times, I wouldn't believe anything they say.

3. Air Force One

Air Force One Android Enthusiast

Well I'm going to buy the thing today and decide for myself, but here is a review that has some actual benchmarks and the screen seems less than impressive.:

Motorola Xoom Review: The First Honeycomb Tablet Arrives - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

If the Xoom does not meet my expectations I'm going to return it. $800 + is a lot to spend on a tablet and I'm going to be critical. Hoping it will hold up because right now I'm excited. Headed to the Verizon store in about 7 hours and counting...:D

4. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

I agree, for the price, every buyer should be critical as much as the actual reviewers would be.

5. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

pixel density, the xoom really falls behind there sadly :(

6. Mitchrapp

How do you know? I mean have you played with one yet? Just curious.

7. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

If rooted, wouldn't the LCD Density changer app help improve that? So it might not be an issue, right?

8. Mitchrapp

9. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

the Xoom has a PPI of 149, while the ipad currently has 132 PPI many other devices have much higher resolution

playbook/galaxy tab = 170
    iphone 3GS, 3G = 163
    iphone 4 = 326
    Nexus one = 254
    HTC Inc/desire = 252
    droidx = 228
    Samsung Galaxy = 233
    EVO = 217
    bionic/atrix = 254

We are used to extremely high resolutions on our devices now. Its just not going to look as crisp as on many of the phones we use.

Im not saying the display should look bad. I think most people will really like it. Just have to see today what people think. I have seen more than a couple reviews mention the screen and how things are presented not as crisp as they had hoped

10. Mitchrapp

I won't sit here and tell you I know the first thing about PPI, because I don't. It just seems like a nice resolution. But not sure I'd compare a tablet to a phone though. That's like compare a PC monitor to a TV.

marctronixx likes this.
  11. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Android Expert

My last notebook was 1280 x 800 at 13.3" I am sure this density will be adequate. These things are very subjective.

marctronixx likes this.
  12. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert

Exactly, I played with a Xoom last night at BBY (friends at old jobs are awesome), and I love the screen, it is crisp, beautiful, and stunning to me ;)

marctronixx likes this.
  13. p8ntballah21

p8ntballah21 Android Enthusiast

I havn't put mine down since I picked mine up about an hour ago, screen looks amazing!

marctronixx likes this.
  14. Dunbar

Dunbar Newbie

Thanks everyone for the reassurances. I am definitely getting it today (pre-ordered at BB, but can't get there until late tonight), but the thought of having a sub-par screen was dampening my enthusiasm.

Given that I've been using a 5-year old laptop and a three year old blackberry, I'm sure I will be impressed by the screen.

15. njbianco

njbianco Android Enthusiast

I just got mine about a hour ago and the screen looks great don't worry about what the reviews you read said about the screen .

16. parrotheadmjb

parrotheadmjb Member

Yea it looks great! Does pick up fingerprints though, doesn't show unless its off or completely black. Loving this this though

17. Air Force One

I can confirm, so far screen looks great to me. Skyfire is force closing so no Flash that way.

Google Navigation works flawlessly and the first two things to strike me are build quality: excellent!

turn by turn direction audio: LOUD :)

very happy so far

18. marctronixx

skyfire is not force closing for me. flash is working just fine. i selected always on in the menu...

19. Air Force One

BIGTIME thanks for that:D

i ahve been using a very old version of Skyfire because I prefer it without that social bar at the bottom. When everything synced the first time it downloaded that old version that's on my Nexus, which is not compatible with Honeycomb apparently. Since you said it worked fine for you, I decided to delete my old version and download latest from market...works!!! I have some Flash!! Thanks man!!

marctronixx likes this.
  20. Air Force One

I keep getting the buffering logo stuck in the middle of my skyfire flash videos :( They play fine but that logo sits in the middle of the screen.

21. marctronixx

what site are you on with the flash vids?

22. Air Force One

Shoot I'm trying to remember :D I'm all over the place right now :D

Take a look at this NYtimes link tho:

Trailer: 'Vieux Carr

23. Air Force One

24. MJBarnes

MJBarnes Newbie

Anyone having any screen issues where if they press on the screen (especially on the right side), it looks as though the screen is 'disconnected' or something? Hard to explain, however, it looks as though watermarks or something are between the screen...

Try this and let me know if you see anything. Mine even does this with the screen off.

Thanks.

seatownflyer likes this.
  25. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert

there was a mention in an article about it i think. it has to do with the capacitive touch screen technology perhaps. Might be the same thing they describe and it might be different