• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xoom Screen Quality?

And brightness. These two are both more important to me than the resolution. I've seen a side by side vid (somewhere) of the xoom next the the ipad and the xoom was darker. Kinda disappointing.

Were the two at the same brightness setting? To each his own I guess. One of my co-workers (an absolute iPad evangelist) was just looking at my Xoom and raved about the Xoom's screen (and the overall speed of the device).

Upvote 0
Were the two at the same brightness setting? To each his own I guess. One of my co-workers (an absolute iPad evangelist) was just looking at my Xoom and raved about the Xoom's screen (and the overall speed of the device).

When we did our comparison vs the iPad, we had both at 100%. The xoom just looked as was said earlier "dull". I was surprised by the build quality though...felt even better than the iPad..and I've never said that about anything compared to an Apple device.

Upvote 0
My .02:
Outside in sun ipad wins
In flouresent lighting I pad wins
In dark settings I pad wins

Both displays set at Max brightness. I pad wins only marginally IMO cept the sunny setting, I pad is easier to see there. If your concerned about the quality IMO unless you have em side by side like I did your unlikly to be dissapointed with overall quality of the xoom display, it is still pretty. However I'm not really picky.

Upvote 0
I don't own an ipad or a xoom, however I have friends at both VZW and BestBuy.

I spent about 35 minutes with the xoom and the iPad side by side.

The Xoom has what I would describe a "cool white" color balance and the iPad had a more "true white".

Comparing 5 different photos from my flickr account, it would show that the iPad has better blacks and the Xoom is lacking...

In comparing the colors they are very very close... but just showing a white screen like the background of the Flickr page, its clear that the color balance is off on the Xoom (in my opinion)...

With all that said, I am still leaning towards the xoom for me and an iPad for the wife...

I am a photographer, its important to me...

Its clearly evident in B&W photos:
Double Up | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

With Such Insignificance... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So I hope this helps...

Upvote 0
So an update to my earlier "I see no side by side difference" post... I loaded a ripped copy of Anchorman onto both the iPad and the Xoom. The iPad definitely looks better in terms of color. On the Xoom, you couldn't really see the color in Baxter the dog (thats right I used the dog as a comparison) as well as on the iPad. The Xoom just felt kind of dull.

That being said, the widescreen on the Xoom is great. I really like the Xoom, but the screen is bothering me a bit. That and there not being an easy way to get movies on it. Riping, stripping DRM, etc is a pain. Then again I know google movies is coming soon.

Also, I love lamp.

Upvote 0
I just tried one out, the screen is alright but it's not that great. It seemed very "dull" looking to me. Text looks nice and sharp, but the iPad has better color and contrast.

I agree. My wife has an I pad and I have a xoom. We both played the same movie using the same file and put them side by side. The I pad has more letter boxing due to the screen resolution but her picture was definitely more colorful and crisp. My xoom was a little dull and washed out.

It would be nice if we could adjust picture settings like a tv. Contrast, color, saturation, etc.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
I agree. My wife has an I pad and I have a xoom. We both played the same movie using the same file and put them side by side. The I pad has more letter boxing due to the screen resolution but her picture was definitely more colorful and crisp. My xoom was a little dull and washed out.

It would be nice if we could adjust picture settings like a tv. Contrast, color, saturation, etc.

+1 - I posted an app request in the Dev section. No takers. :(

http://androidforums.com/application-requests/229898-advance-display-settings-app.html

Upvote 0
Site-loading speed battle: Motorola Xoom vs. Apple iPad | Crave - CNET

This will give you a good example of the two screens side by side. Near the end of the example you can clearly see that the IPAD has a much clearer defined rendering of the video.
IMO.
However I love how the xoom destroys the IPAD in web page loading.

_Ipadvxoom.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So an update to my earlier "I see no side by side difference" post... I loaded a ripped copy of Anchorman onto both the iPad and the Xoom. The iPad definitely looks better in terms of color. On the Xoom, you couldn't really see the color in Baxter the dog (thats right I used the dog as a comparison) as well as on the iPad. The Xoom just felt kind of dull.

That being said, the widescreen on the Xoom is great. I really like the Xoom, but the screen is bothering me a bit. That and there not being an easy way to get movies on it. Riping, stripping DRM, etc is a pain. Then again I know google movies is coming soon.

Also, I love lamp.

Edit: Disregard. Sorry.
I thought the Ipad had a 24bit display but I searched google and it said it was also 18 bit like the Xoom. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Sorry to go OT but...WTF is that? haha I can't tell from either screen shot.

You have to watch the Video, they compare the Ipad to the Xoom. Near the end of the Video they show a screen shot of the two side by side displaying a movie. As stated more and more in a couple of forums the Xoom display looks washed out.

Now after some reflection I realize that the may have the Ipad display turned up while the Xoom is turned down. Ipad2 vs Xoom reviews may prove me wrong.

That being said when I visited the Vz store I commented to the sale guy that the IPAD screen looked better to me. Some say that the Xoom is more natural and "Cool". But that won't help you in daylight IMO.

Don't flame me on this observations its just how I see it.

Upvote 0
I took a Xoom and iPad outside in bright sunlight the other day to compare them. They were both pretty much useless. All you can see are finger-smudges, really.

If both screens were completely clean, and you're out in the sun, I'd give the edge to the iPad mostly because of the light color scheme. The dark blue-against-black color of the Xoom controls are really hard to make out in the sun. I hope theming options become available soon (maybe launcher replacements like ADW); I'd really like to make all those buttons neon yellow, or something.

Upvote 0
First, no I am not seeing things and I am 100% sober :D. I, like many others ( including some reviewers) thought the screen on the Xoom left a bit to be desired in the color department. But after a good bit of use my screens colors are much richer and brighter than they were when I got my Xoom. It didn't happen over night but it has gotten richer gradually over the last two weeks to a point where it now has better colors than the other tablets on the market. Since the colors have gotten so much better the viewing angles are better as well. Has any other Xoom owners noticed any change in their displays colors for better or worse or could something be out of wack on my display?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones