• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

XOOM support for GPS

rbcooper

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked previously. I couldn't find this anywhere using the search function.

What is if any the support of GPS with XOOM / Android 3.0? My application is as an alternative marine chart plotter and if the device doesn't have an internal GPS and antenna then it's a no go for me.

Motorola site had indicated GPS support but now appears to have deleted it so what's the scoop? I noted that it does have a barometer, accelerometer, gyroscope.

Upvote 0
yeah i'm thinking it will be alright. I have a buddy who has a Desire so I took out his SIM and turned off wifi, and at that point it just says GPS location unavailable... so I then connected his desire to my Nexus via wifi hotspot and then the Desire's GPS started working, so I figure the Xoom will at least function the same way...that is unless Verizon has somehow gimped GPS unless you have Verizon data activated...I doubt it but then again I wouldn't put it past Verizon either.

Upvote 0
GPS itself should not need mobile data. Google Maps however - and several other apps - do in fact require Mobile data to function properly. They need to fetch maps - which are not stored locally on the device - to view from within the app. Many apps need this connection, but not all do.

For example a different application that uses GPS - one which stores all the data it needs locally on the device (maps, etc) - would not need any kind of 3G data to function correctly.

Upvote 0
GPS itself should not need mobile data. Google Maps however - and several other apps - do in fact require Mobile data to function properly. They need to fetch maps - which are not stored locally on the device - to view from within the app. Many apps need this connection, but not all do.

For example a different application that uses GPS - one which stores all the data it needs locally on the device (maps, etc) - would not need any kind of 3G data to function correctly.

When i had a galaxy tab with no data plan, I tested this. I started google maps at home on wifi, then got in the car to drive to the store. The gps tracked me the whole time; however, once I left the extent of the map downloaded in my cache, you could only see the directional arrow traveling through a checkerboard.

I think that the new maps will cache your whole route in navigation, but I haven't tried this yet

Upvote 0
I feel really stupid on this one but I really don't know how GPS works in relation to other features or by itself.

I am trying to figure out if I can use the GPS for Google navigation if I buy the Wi-Fi only model, and then am driving around and get lost and want to use navigation to get directions. Does GPS only really work if it has network access via 3G or Wi-Fi?

Apologies if this is obvious to everyone but me.

With the Wi-Fi only Xoom coming sooner than I expected, I am trying to figure out if I really want to spend $200 more for 3G when I am not even sure if I would ever want it.

Upvote 0
Thanks to whoever merged my post with this one. I thought I searched but did not see thsi one. Obviously need to do a better job of searching.

Answers above seem to tell me that the Xoom GPS will not work for what I want, Google nav on its own. So, I may need to consider buying the 3G version in case I decide I want that later. But... $200 more is a bit too.

Decisions decisions.... :)

Upvote 0
My question to you guys is where the heck you going strap this bad boy in your car!? This 10 inch tablet, putting that on your dash seems a little un-practical if I'm missing something please fill me in. I use my car mount for my OG droid, and google NAV. I mean what do you even use to make sure it's secure in the car and isn't blocking a chunk of your windshield?

Upvote 0

Answers above seem to tell me that the Xoom GPS will not work for what I want, Google nav on its own. ...

Actually, if you download/buy another navigation app such as Aura GPS ($19.99 for US maps) that stores maps on the device, you should have no problems navigating absent a 3G signal .

Upvote 0
Wow. Moto is really doing a GREAT job on the WiFi only model. It's the exact same model as the 3G version without the Radio, Awesome. Apple took out GPS with their 16gb WiFi only model. I highly doubt the Radio costs Moto an extra $200. Can't wait for the other tablets to hit the market. The price will surely come down (especially when the iPad 2 releases). Competition is great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones