1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Xoom Version 3.2 Wifi Only Bought in Singapore

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ttuguy421, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ttuguy421

ttuguy421 Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Singapore
    hey guys,

Just registered and have been browsing the forums for a while. I have a Xoom I purchased a little over a month ago and it is updated to the latest version 3.2. I am trying to decide if I want or need to root my device. Are there any concerns to rooting a non US bought Xoom? Seems like most of the instructions I have read for rooting a WiFi only Xoom are for ones purchased in the U.S. I am a U.S. expat living in Singapore and am pretty computer literate with PC but am new to Droid and Linux.

So, should I root? Should I wait for ICS? If I do root do I need to follow certain instructions for a non US bought Xoom?

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

Advertisement

2. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    This procedure [Root] Universal Xoom Root - ANY XOOM ANY UPDATE - xda-developers is reported to work for all original Xooms regardless of where they are from.

Mine is a US one but if you read through the thread, you will see plenty of people from elsewhere (eg UK) have used this approach without any problem as I did.

Whether you should root is entirely another matter. If you have no particular reason that you know about, why would you want to? Having said that, some pretty useful software (eg Titanium Backup, Clocksync, Adfree) will only work on a rooted Xoom. I can also now have rw access to my SDHC card and OTG drives, which I think is pretty useful.