• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Yeah, I'm curious how that will work too. Obviously it'll have a 1 year warranty, and being a Verizon product, you can get the extended warranty for $1.99/month, but would they just bill that if you don't keep a data contract? I actually was thinking about that a few weeks ago.

Then again, if you bought the Xoom through Best Buy, you could get their plan. For the Galaxy Tab, I believe it's $109 for one year ($139 for two years), but it also covers accidental damage, which Apple Care does not cover to my knowledge.

Upvote 0
Just thought I would update this thread, because I cofirmed the following with Verizon.

In order to maintain an extended warranty or device insurance, you also have to keep the data plan. They cannot bill the extended warranty or insurance separately. That's what I was afraid of, but I honestly figured it was going to be this way.

Even the Verizon employee I spoke with didn't think that made any sense.

Upvote 0
Just thought I would update this thread, because I cofirmed the following with Verizon.

In order to maintain an extended warranty or device insurance, you also have to keep the data plan. They cannot bill the extended warranty or insurance separately. That's what I was afraid of, but I honestly figured it was going to be this way.

That's also an assumption that there will be no manufacturer warranty.

Upvote 0

You can get the Best Buy warranty, assuming you buy it there. The BB warranties cover everything except loss or theft.

Upvote 0
You can get the Best Buy warranty, assuming you buy it there. The BB warranties cover everything except loss or theft.
I know, that's my plan. I would have preferred the Verizon route, only because I probably could have convinced them to waive the $35 activation fee, but I don't know that Best Buy will do that, or even can for that matter.

Upvote 0
Don't you get the activation fee and data fee back if you cancel in X amount days anyways?
Supposedly, but I'm actually traveling within the 30 days after launch, so I was planning to keep the data plan for the first month anyway.

Honestly, I'm planning to turn on and off the data plan every once in a while, so I'm gonna have to pay the activation fee at some point.

Upvote 0
Supposedly, but I'm actually traveling within the 30 days after launch, so I was planning to keep the data plan for the first month anyway.

Honestly, I'm planning to turn on and off the data plan every once in a while, so I'm gonna have to pay the activation fee at some point.

Do you know if you have to pay the activation fee each time you "re-subscribe" your data plan for nonconsecutive months?

Upvote 0
Do you know if you have to pay the activation fee each time you "re-subscribe" your data plan for nonconsecutive months?
You do not. The activation fee is for the device itself, and basically the "work" that goes into associating your account with the device. Once they do it once, they don't have to do it again.

That is something else I clarified along with the warranty information.

Reactions: StreakTheQuad
Upvote 0
What kind of warranty do the various stores selling the Xoom offer? I know that you can get a fairly comprehensive warranty from best buy, but that it is rather expensive. What kind of warranty does Verizon offer if you are not on contract?

I work closet to a Verizon store so I would like to go there to purchase the Xoom, but given the cost of the unit I feel I need some protection in case I drop it, spill water on it, etc.

Upvote 0
What kind of warranty do the various stores selling the Xoom offer? I know that you can get a fairly comprehensive warranty from best buy, but that it is rather expensive. What kind of warranty does Verizon offer if you are not on contract?

I work closet to a Verizon store so I would like to go there to purchase the Xoom, but given the cost of the unit I feel I need some protection in case I drop it, spill water on it, etc.

Probably same as the galaxy tab and smartphones. Month to month cost for extended warranty, or for insurance

Upvote 0
squaretrade's BIGGEST CON is if you DO have to file a claim then thats it... you will no longer have a warranty with them and you would have to purchase a new warranty.

smaller con is you have to ship the unit to them first before they handle your claim. that could take a couple weeks..

best buy you walk in the store and are taken care of then. if you have a claim with best buy you still have insurance and can get a claim again during the bby insurance warranty period.

Upvote 0
squaretrade's BIGGEST CON is if you DO have to file a claim then thats it... you will no longer have a warranty with them and you would have to purchase a new warranty.

smaller con is you have to ship the unit to them first before they handle your claim. that could take a couple weeks..

best buy you walk in the store and are taken care of then. if you have a claim with best buy you still have insurance and can get a claim again during the bby insurance warranty period.

While I have yet to have to use my laptop insurance policy every review I have read about them has been favorable.

Also, it says explicitly that unless they replace the unit the warranty is good for any number of uses...

P.S. a broken screen twice at BBY fulfills their plan.

Also, unless SHIPPING takes weeks, it will not take more than two weeks:" 5-Day Service Guarantee: SquareTrade will reimburse the item price or fix your item and ship it back within five business days of receiving it at the depot -- or your warranty is free. (since in-home service is dependent on the customer's schedule, in-home repair times are not guaranteed within five days). If we don’t meet our service guarantee, let us know. We will gladly refund you the full cost of your Care Plan. See more details here
SquareTrade’s claim process is painless. You can start a claim 24/7 online or call us at 1-877-WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268) and select our claim filing option. Claim agents are available by phone Monday thru Friday 9 am - 8 pm EST. Rest assured that it will go fast with our unique 5-day service guarantee."

While I do agree the whole one claim voids the warranty makes me curious so I sent them a quick email about it.

Also, if BBY has to replace your product you do know that the warranty is void and you have to buy a new one on the new product right? (I worked for them for 3 years).

The one downside I can see from reading it is that if they repair up to the dollar amount of the unit the warranty is fulfilled, whereas BBY would still have the warranty and replace it if another repair was required.

Upvote 0
That's what I am going to do at Costco when the WiFi unit comes out. Costco has a great return policy and add in the fact that AMEX will cover for an additional year, it's a no brainer for me.

For others who do not have AMEX, I would check with your bank on the details of your Visa or Mastercard, I know my Visa (CC) and Mastercard (Debit) both offer a free one year extended warranty when purchased w/the card.

I believe most banks utilize this as it's a separate service offered from Visa/Mastercard, most people just don't realize. BUT, this is a warranty, not insurance.

Upvote 0
How much is the Squaretrade warranty?

Unless they make a special warranty for it you're looking at $150 for a 3 year accidental warranty.

Keeping in mind that if it breaks they have a max coverage of the original purchase price, meaning:

If it breaks and it costs more than 600 (say you buy it at 600) to fix it, they will give you $600 and let you do whatever you want with it. Say it costs them $100 to fix it, you still have $500 left on your plan to use, if it is mor than $500 they will give you the $500 credit back for the unit.

Most of the time on these big touch screen things etc they just give you all your money back and don't screw with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones