1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Xperia Arc buttons problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cansat, Sep 13, 2011.

1. cansat

cansat Lurker
    None

Sep 13, 2011
    Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting as a member on this forum, although I have used this website a lot to assist me with fixing issues on my android phones.

So, to the problem. At the moment I have an Xperia Arc, which I love, but the problem is with the 'back' button. It seems to act as a home button and its starting to get annoying. An example is when I go into the Market, instead of pressing back to see what my application selection was, I now have to search again.. gets really annoying.

So, essentially I am just wondering if there is a way to fix this issue, or even if there is a way to switch the function of other buttons?

And, yes, I did ugrade the Software to the newest Android OS and I did do a factory reset and a hard reset.

Hope you can help!

Cheers!

UPDATE:

Okay so I did some researching. Seems that it may be an issue with the hardware. I bought this used, so I am out of luck for swapping it. So I have two options available:

1) root my device so I can use certain programs in order to have a virtual back button on the screen at all times.

2) Root the device to use a button remapper.

So those are my options, although after researching those options I have flaws for both ones.

1) Rooting my device is a pain. I am running 2.3.3 and apparently I have to downgrade with gingerbreak or something, but there is no actual guide to do so.. Well there is one, but its extremely complicated instructions.

2) Same issue with the rooting, but when I got the program (Button Remapper) the only button that shows up is the 'power' button, but it might be because my device is not rooted.

If you can provide maybe a solution that does not require a root, or hell if you can give an actual explanation on how to root, I would really appreciate it! I really want to get the back button working, because honest to god its really annoying to have to open up text messages by going into contacts all the time.

Advertisement

2. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Unfortunately all I can advise given the hardware nature of the problem, I can only advise having the handset looked at by an authorised repair agent.