1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Xperia play or droid incredible 2?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mrdroid921, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Mrdroid921

Mrdroid921 Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    Male
    N CEE!
    I am torn between these two, and I have no idea which to pick. I do see the Play only has a VGA FFC, and the Droid Inc 2 has a 1.3Mp FFC, which I would like to know, would you really see a difference in video quality between the two?? That is a big thing for me.

Please help!

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Orical

Orical Newbie
    None

May 24, 2011
    Tech.
    Boston, Ma.
    The first thing you have to think about is the support of the devices and where the future stands for each, Xperia play is a PSP based phone (they had the know how back when it would have profited them most and put it off till now) the big calling for this is playing psp games (Minis) but what you don't hear about is the fact Sony is NOT going to be running PSN support to the device, there will be a new community base but due to recent server exploits that rendered them financially destroyed this device running on the servers will only cause them more problems in the long run.

The Droid Incredible 2 will have obviously more than before and depending on how much of a user you are (standard/advanced) you'll have far more options to work with in the end but don't get me wrong the hype over Xperia was worth the build but with NPG just around the corner it seems like Sony had a different view on how this would play out, NPG will be sporting twin quad cores and 4G network as a console.

Sounds like Apple cutting their own throat with devices in the past but Sony believes their hitting 2 market audiences this way in hopes to corner development networking with a new net based hub. There's a really good read up on this but to get back on track here I would stick with Droid plain and simple, I'm a Sony fan at heart but there are things you just don't skimp on and when I pay the prices I pay I want it to be for me not everyone else.

3. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    In terms of guts, they are the exact same phone (same CPU/GPU) except that the Incredible 2 has 768MB of RAM to the Play's 512MB. Also, the Incredible 2 has more internal storage for apps as opposed to the Play. This could be a big issue for some as Verizon's bloat takes up a sizable chunk of the already limited internal storage of the Play (I mean, really, 400MB before bloat in 2011!?).

While the Play is "Playstation certified" today, Sony is rolling out that Playstation support to as many phones as they can over time. Due to the Incredible 2's similar specs, it is a likely candidate. The controls would simply be on screen like an emulator.

On hardware alone, I'd say get the Play if you are a legacy gamer (PS1 and emulators) and the Incredible 2 for all others, I have to point out that even the Play is disappointing for games as you can't have many installed.