1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Xperia Ray experiences

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Cryssie, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cryssie

Cryssie Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 21, 2011
    I thought it would be nice to share our experiences with the Ray and perhaps help each other with the making of choices and the solving of problems. :)

My reasons to go for the Ray were the size, prize and specs.
    I have small hands and I like to be able to use my phone with one hand. With 3.3 inch I can reach all over the screen with my thumb, so it is perfect. Just for ease of use, my phone should not be bigger then 3.5 inch.
    It is also comfortably prized. With my phone plan I can easily get a Galaxy S2 on a 2 year contract, but I think the high end phones are just too costly. I travel a lot and I would not feel comfortable with such an expensive piece of hardware in my bag that costs more then my laptop and should be insured. Plus, I do not have the disposable income to justify such a purchase.
    And the Ray has good specifications. It does not compromise and really is a fully capable smartphone with a good camera.
    It is also very pretty! I have the gold one and I like it a lot.

Now, I have read a lot of reviews that complain about the size of the screen. Personally: I feel the screen is just perfect. I have small and steady hands and I can type just fine in portrait mode. Also, the screen is really, really good and sharp so I feel the resolution more than makes up for what may be missing in size.
    True: if you have big hands, or are used to the 4+ inch monsters, this phone may not be for you, but you can easily find out by going to the store and try it out.

The UI feels fast and smooth to me and the screen feels "silky"
    I did try to customize the home screens by the use of various widgets and simifolder, but I felt that the phone became a little laggy when it came to firing up stuff like the camera so I went back to the default widgets. (my own fault for hanging up 6 different widgets that all sync with something)
    I liked the factory state speed. :) It is fine because the SE overlay looks for the most part okay. I would have liked to see more transparent launchers, instead of grey. There are a couple of monstrously ugly widgets, but I suppose it floats some people's boats.
    On the other hand: the Ray is fine with apps that are heavy on the resources. I can run Google Skymap with no problems.
    It will get ICS somewhere next year, so I am curious how it will turn out. I suppose the hardware can handle it, or SE would not roll it out.

It came installed with a decent amount of bloatware, unfortunally. I just put all that stuff on the last screen so I don't have to look at it. Hopefully with ICS, I can get rid of it.
    The battery is ok. I can easily get 24 hours out of it with moderate use.
    The camera is really nice! I took some pretty nightshots and made some video's. I like to record music peformances and the Ray peforms really well, both in sound and image. If anybody likes it, I can post a sample.

That's it. :)

Advertisement