1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Xperia service/wifi bar turns grey

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Hostee_y0, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Hostee_y0

Hostee_y0 Newbie
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Can someone please explain to me what it means when the service/wifi signal strength bars turn white/grey? I know normally they are green but sometimes I can have full wifi strength but the service bar remains grey. At first I thought it meant that you didnt have any service but that cant be right. Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement

2. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Member
    None

May 26, 2011
    It happens to me across all roms I have tried. The service is still there, but its just gray. I would like to know why this happens as well.

3. dudeofrude

dudeofrude Member
    None

Apr 23, 2011
    Mines always been grey??

4. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Android Expert
    None

Aug 9, 2009
    CA
    I believe it means you are connected to Google's servers.

5. cdg770404

cdg770404 Newbie
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    Mine was gray for a min untill I deleted a couple of apps. Maybe it means your memory is getting low

6. Digital Jester

Digital Jester Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Student/Bar Staff
    Birmingham, UK
    Yea mines always been gray too.

7. paxchristos

paxchristos Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 27, 2011
    Grey normally means that it's connecting (sometimes it'll be connecting, but you can still browse/use the internet, it's a little funky.)

If you goto settings -> networks and check the wifi box, then watch the progress as it connects, you'll see once it says connected, it should turn green (if you have a low wifi signal, it'll take a little longer, and might drop and reacquire the signal.)

To my knowledge, it is not a low space indicator, it's only related to signal of wifi/3G. (As in, when the signal indicator for phone is grey it's because you are not currently connected to the internet)

Pax

8. Digital Jester

None

Apr 3, 2011
    Student/Bar Staff
    Birmingham, UK
    Nope. Never turns green when it's connected. Had it since launch in March. Always looks like this. Dunno if it's got something to do with the fact I have an R800i or not though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. paxchristos

None

Aug 27, 2011
    That's weird, are you on the newest firmware?
    (also, SE-Sam, if you have any ideas, that be awesome, I'm on the R800x, so I'm just guessing)

10. Digital Jester

None

Apr 3, 2011
    Student/Bar Staff
    Birmingham, UK
    Yep Gingerbread 2.3.4 Build Number 4.0.2.A.0.42

11. danblackracing

None

Everyone here is your answer:

Go to SETTING > ACCOUNTS & SYNC> turn on (check box) BACK GROUND DATA.

DON'T FORGET to check to see if you have apps managing battery power as they may turn this off aggressively.

You should stay green now. Tested in line of sight of two verizon towers. Turned of phone aster each setting change.

Dan

12. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm not sure what people are referring to regarding it turning green, it should not. White means connected and grey indicates it is in the process of connecting.

(As a side note, you should only get the green icon if you are running vanilla Android)

13. paxchristos

None

Aug 27, 2011
    Or blue/grey on CM9 :p

14. flumpis

flumpis Lurker
    None

May 10, 2012
    I'm noticing this too on Xperia Play ever since I updated to the latest firmware the other day. The service/Wifi/3G indicators are all white (usually green), and I'm not receiving any of my push notifications. GMail is not updating itself. I am sending/receiving text messages fine.

15. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

since i upgraded to 2.3.4 mine don't turn green anymore either. i think it's the way it's supposed to be with this software version. i'm not having any issues with notifications though as some people are. my google talk won't sign in but i never use that anyway so no big loss for me.

16. flumpis

flumpis Lurker
    None

May 10, 2012
    Just noticed this as well. This is actually kind of a big deal for me, does anyone know why almost all of my apps have required updates since this system update?

17. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

i get 3-5 updates every few days on my apps. since i have about 90 apps it seems like something is always updating. i was going to try to uninstall talk then reinstall it but when i went to look for it on the market i noticed that talk isn't even available for download.

18. flumpis

flumpis Lurker
    None

May 10, 2012
    See that's the thing, I don't have a lot of apps, and they don't update weekly typically. On top of that, some of the apps that had updated the day before the system update were updated again. It's just strange to me.

Anyone with words of insight on how to get push notifications and green indicators back?

EDIT: As if on cue, two of the apps I updated yesterday are updating again. This did not happen before the system update. Yes, this could just be a coincidence. But I find it odd that all of these apps need to keep updating after a system update.

19. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

i highly doubt that you're going to get green indicators back. i'm pretty sure that that is how they're supposed to look with 2.3.4 judging on what people have posted that have phones that have had 2.3.4 since last fall (european models, i think) they have no clue what we're talking about when we're talking about having green indicators.

20. flumpis

flumpis Lurker
    None

May 10, 2012
    However, it would make total sense if it's because it's not connected to Google's servers. It would explain the lack of e-mail updating and inability to connect Google Talk.

21. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

i have a doubt that they were green because they were connected to google servers. most of the time i would have my background data and sync turned off and mine would still be green and i don't think they would be connected to google servers at that point. if you look further up in the thread, a post by digital jester has photos of what his looks like. i'm pretty sure he lives in the U.K. maybe now were just catching up to what their plays are like over there.

22. luckyJQ9

luckyJQ9 Lurker
    None

May 11, 2012
    I was told that the white bars are new with the 2.3.4. However, I've been having the same trouble with syncing and Google Talk since the software update.

23. Sam-SonyXperia

Sam-SonyXperia Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Do any of you get a specific error message with Google Talk and do you have any other issues with other Google related services?

24. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member
    None

mine just says it cannot connect to the server at this time. others have been having problems with auto-sync although i am not one of those people. it's the verizon r800x version of the phone that was recently updated to 2.3.4 that is having this problem.

25. paxchristos

None

Aug 27, 2011