• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xperia X10 vs Desire

If it were me I would carefully consider how well I like sense and let that be the deciding factor. Sense could be a long ways away or it may never be ported over (witness the droid) and if you like it then the Desire is probably going to be a better bet. The Desire will also likely see more support on xda.

This has been really helpful. Gave me more reasons to consider Desire over X10

Upvote 0
After hearing all the points, I'm still confused.

X10 has:
Pros:
Better camera, audio, larger screen, better battery

Cons:
Android 1.6, Lack of multi touch, Bad(?) keyboard, Less RAM (cause of slowness?)

HTC Desire has:
Pros:
Android 2.1 (soon will get 2.2), Will probably be updated rapidly, Huge user and modding base, HTC Sense, Cooler Look

Cons:
Bad battery, Smaller screen

Yet can't decide!

Upvote 0
Most of your points are correct. Desire already has 2.2 while X10 has 1.6 and won't be getting 2.1 until near the end of the year.

The more RAM argument was almost pointless on 2.1 and lower, as those versions of Android could only address 256MB of RAM. The X10 has 384MB, and the Desire has 512MB. The Desire now has an OS (2.2) that can use the available memory. Even with 2.1, the X10 still won't be using all of that memory, but 256 is still a solid number for a smartphone for normal use.

However, overall, I find the X10 to be behind the Desire in both hardware and software, a rare combination for phones in the same price range. The X10 will never get multi-touch, and has less RAM (as previously mentioned). In terms of Os, it's already 2 full revisions behind, and HTC has a record of supporting their devices longer. Even when HTC does drop the Desire, there is a good development community behind it.

For me, it's a no brainer - better hardware and software at the same price? Get the Desire. The X10's screen, by the way, is limited to 16-bit color (65k colors), by the way. It's an average screen that Sony put no effort into. Holding the X10 near my Incredible (same size screen as Desire, same fundamental hardware), the difference in screen size wasn't a big deal. It wasn't like holding either phone near a Droid X or EVO.

Upvote 0
my rooted desire running latest defrost version is at 77% with 14 hours 45 mins unplugged. (usage is a few hours of music playback, texts, calls and a bit of internet)

Battery life issue? ...what issue?

wouldnt swap my desire for anything (besides a version with a 4'' super amoled screen that wasnt made by samsung =P)

Upvote 0
wouldnt swap my desire for anything (besides a version with a 4'' super amoled screen that wasnt made by samsung =P)

If I were limited to GSM, I'd be forced to take the Desire, and wouldn't think twice about it. It's the same basic hardware as my Incredible, just doesn't have the upgraded camera (that I don't care for), 8GB internal storage (that I ignore because almost nothing supports it), or the upgraded touch sensor (I Don't game enough to care).

Overall, my phone is nothing more than a refinement of an already awesome product (N1/Desire), and it wouldn't bother me one bit if those were my only options.

Upvote 0
OK, my first step into a smartphone, and I'm very confused.

My current phone is the SE C905, which I've been very happy with, but it's falling to bits, so time to upgrade.

My needs are :

Calling
Texting
Camera
Calendar sync with Outlook

All of the other online stuff I do on my pc, which has a great keyboard and screen! ;-) Also I live in a rural area just outside of Newcastle, so there is no 3G coverage at my home. However, I realise that if I'm going to have a new phone then I might as well go for the one that matches my needs, not necessarily the better phone if that makes sense.

I have a choice between the Desire and the X10 because I'm not prepared to pay for the deals that the iPhone4 are limited to. I was going to go with the SE X10, because as far as I can see it has the better camera, and that is one of my key requirements.

But is it easy to change the on screen keyboard from the out of the box one that everyone claims has so many issues?

Edited to add: I won't ever be using this phone for gaming, I don't use twitter (nor do most of my contacts), and I have constant pc access to facebook etc.

Upvote 0
OK, my first step into a smartphone, and I'm very confused.

My current phone is the SE C905, which I've been very happy with, but it's falling to bits, so time to upgrade.

My needs are :

Calling
Texting
Camera
Calendar sync with Outlook

All of the other online stuff I do on my pc, which has a great keyboard and screen! ;-) Also I live in a rural area just outside of Newcastle, so there is no 3G coverage at my home. However, I realise that if I'm going to have a new phone then I might as well go for the one that matches my needs, not necessarily the better phone if that makes sense.

I have a choice between the Desire and the X10 because I'm not prepared to pay for the deals that the iPhone4 are limited to. I was going to go with the SE X10, because as far as I can see it has the better camera, and that is one of my key requirements.

But is it easy to change the on screen keyboard from the out of the box one that everyone claims has so many issues?

I'll break this down:

Calling - Any non-smartphone is generally superior to a smartphone in calling, due to that being its primary (and sometimes only) function. Still, I've generally found that any touchscreen phone with a good proximity sensor is better than a non touchscreen with physical qwerty due to vanity dialing issues (IE, 1-800-the-word). Iphone and any Android handsets are comparable here.

Texting - Gotta decide if you want a hardware qwerty, touchscreen, or both. Touchscreen only? Get an iPhone, Android, or any Nokia N-series. Physical qwerty? Windows Mobile standard (Samsung Jack is the best, IMO), Blackerry, or Nokia E-Series. Both? Get a Nokia N-series, or a good Android.

Camera - If you want a good camera on a phone, the best out now seem to be the iPhone 4, the Samsung Galaxy series, and the upcoming Nokia N8.

Outlook sync - Windows Mobile does it best, but they don't have any existing phones that offer really good cameras and a good calling experience. Nokia and Blackberry are next up, with the upcoming Nokia N8 being my pick overall. Then comes iPhone and Android, of which I think the Galaxy S series offers the best combination of what you want.

With that said, my recommendation is Galaxy S of any kind (supported on all 4 main US carriers), followed by the Nokia N8 unlocked (Pentaband 3G works on both T-Mobile and AT&T 3G bands), followed by the iPhone 4 (AT&T only). Hope that helps.

Reactions: JaneN
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, but as I said in my post, I'm tied to the SE X10 or the HTC Desire because of the deals available on my carrier (T-Mobile in the UK). I can also have the X10 Mini Pro, but the slide out keyboard looked so tiny that I thought it would be virtually unuseable.

The iPhone is not available free of charge on the flexible tariff that I need as I regularly text and call to countries outside of the EU. And I'm certainly not prepared to pay for a phone if I am paying for a monthly contract.

Vanity dialling is hardly ever used in the UK, and 99% of my calls are made from my contact phone book, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

When I said sync to Outlook I'm quite happy for that to be done once a day (as I currently do on the C905) I don't need constant updates pulled down as I control my own calendar on my Outlook so I know when it needs to be updated.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply, but as I said in my post, I'm tied to the SE X10 or the HTC Desire because of the deals available on my carrier (T-Mobile in the UK). I can also have the X10 Mini Pro, but the slide out keyboard looked so tiny that I thought it would be virtually unuseable.

The iPhone is not available free of charge on the flexible tariff that I need as I regularly text and call to countries outside of the EU. And I'm certainly not prepared to pay for a phone if I am paying for a monthly contract.

Vanity dialling is hardly ever used in the UK, and 99% of my calls are made from my contact phone book, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

When I said sync to Outlook I'm quite happy for that to be done once a day (as I currently do on the C905) I don't need constant updates pulled down as I control my own calendar on my Outlook so I know when it needs to be updated.

it is definitely usable i can type at some speed on mine,
and is a great phone love my x10 mp

Upvote 0
Thanks CFC, as I said earlier, after calling my main function for my phone is camera, and the X10 mini only has a 5mp camera as opposed to the 8mp on the X10, and the C905 which I already have.

If the X10 mini had the same camera as the X10 I would go for the mini because I do very little browsing, so a huge screen is not really necessary for me.

Upvote 0
I don't think that the x10 is as good as the desire. Nowdays the heavyweights of android are either htc's desire or samsung's galaxy s (which are also compared heads on to iphone 4). X10 doesn't get mentioned around alot.

The only advantage i can think of the x10 is the camera. But is it enough to justify the whole phone? Anyways, i think that the desire's camera isn't too bad. My suggestion is to go and test desire's camera and if you're satisfied with it, get the desire.

Upvote 0
I went for the Desire and collected it yesterday.

I have some issues with it that I'm hoping to get some advice on before I take it back to the store....

The sms delivery report only says 'received' and I need to know when something was received. Is there an application that I can get to do that?

This morning I went to sync the phone with my Outlook calendar, and for some reason it brought through some random annual, monthly and weekly appointments as daily ones. I called HTC for advice with this and they talked me through rebooting the phone to factory settings and trying again. The reboot worked OK, but now the phone will not recognise that HTC Sync is on the PC, even though I have uninstalled and reinstalled it since. They think it might be a firmware problem, and even if that is resolved, I'm not sure the conflict on how it is collecting the data from Outlook will be fixed.

Looking for reasons not to give up and go for something different.

Upvote 0
Camera and Video recording are not much important to me.
Texting,calling and Web browsing are of importance to me.

Texting and calling will pretty much be the same on both. Web browsing will be better on the Desire due to more updated browser (2.2 with Flash, as opposed to 1.6 with a planned update to 2.1 only). Also, the Desire has multi-touch.

2)If i decide on Desire,which should I go for- Desire HD or Desire Z or just Desire.?

Pick your poison. Want an iPhone-like device? Get the base Desire. Want a QWERY? Get the Z. Want a larger screen? Get the HD.

Reactions: karthic
Upvote 0
Desire would be more than enough for most people. Some people like QWERTY, but with swype coming about the corner I would say it's not necessary.

I tried using the X10 at a shop. Didn't like it. The buttons are too difficult to press, and the launcher looks funny. I suppose you can overwrite it with launcherpro though. Other than that, less RAM compared other android phones, and still on android 1.6

Upvote 0
Desire would be more than enough for most people. Some people like QWERTY, but with swype coming about the corner I would say it's not necessary.

I tried using the X10 at a shop. Didn't like it. The buttons are too difficult to press, and the launcher looks funny. I suppose you can overwrite it with launcherpro though. Other than that, less RAM compared other android phones, and still on android 1.6

I don't think LauncherPro can be used on a 1.6 device?

Upvote 0
Used an X10 in the store yesterday while my girl looked for a new phone and I gotta say I was impressed. I had it side by side with the Captivate, and the X10 is the only phone I've seen next to a Galaxy S variant whose screen didn't seem like it was made in the stone ages comparitively. I couldn't handle the 1.6 OS though.

Upvote 0
Just throwing in my two cents here. I just got the SE x10 about a month ago and I really liked it. Then again, it was my first smartphone, so I didn't have much to gauge it against. Once you get used to the system, it's a functional phone for most everything you could want. My only two real objections were 1) the touchscreen "missed" a lot of my input - even though the letters did pop up when I touched them, they wouldn't appear in the text box many times, like once every 20th letter or so, and 2) the OS is still 1.6 on the thing. For both of these problems, I blame SE, who has had plenty of time to straighten things out by now. Anyway, the phone is going back b/c of carrier issues, but I liked it almost enough to order another one that fit my multiple networks. It's a lovely looking phone, but SE doesn't seem to have their act together enough to support it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones