• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Xperia X8 MMS Setup

Jezzabelle

Lurker
Dec 26, 2011
Hi all.

After looking around online, I found this place and had a bit of a click around and I now know I am in the best place to get some help and advice. You all really know your stuff! :)

I have recently acquired and X8, a few days ago, and I am on the 3 network. My phone can send regular texts but when I went to try to send an MMS, which was an attached picture, the text wouldn't send. There was a message just above the picture which said 'Queued for sending' but the message never sent. I had a cluck about on the phone and I found the section that said 'download settings for the internet and MMS'. I did this, and when I went back into the APN section to look at the new setting option, there was no little circle beside the new 3 MMS option for me to select it to use that one instead of the regular 3 setting.

How can I sort this out and set everything up so I can send pic/vid messages? This, so far, is the only confusing piece, for me, of this otherwise excellent little phone. I am a total Android convert and at the moment I would say that I would never go and use anything else.

Something that might be important, or might not, I am not sure, is that where the signal strength bars are, there is a capital letter H and two little arrows below it. When I looked at all the diagrams of the phone on the official website, and read the pdf manual, they only had explanations for 3G and something else. The letter H wasn't mentioned anywhere so I have no idea what that means.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate it very much and know that someone out there has the intelligence to help. :)

One question, do you have a data plan or a MMS plan with your phone service provider? If you do call them and ask the for the MMS settings, once you have that go Menu>Settings>Wireless & Networks>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names> and since you did the option to download the settings automatically check the created one named "MMS" or "Message" and confirm that the settings there are the same one indicated to you by your phone service provider. And if this does not exist on the phone go ahead and create it on that same menu.

Reactions: Jezzabelle
Upvote 0
Spoke to Sony at first. Online help chat chap was very nice, but a bit useless. He wanted me to download and install onto my phone a piece of software that would wipe its memory! I didn't. I spoke to 3 and explained things and it was a simple case of replacing a web address with the IP address numbers in one of the boxes in the settings. It's all sorted now. :)

The next issue I have to solve is how to extend the life of the battery. It seems pitiful! I have had this phone for less than 7 days and it's been on the charge more times than it's been in my hands being used. I need to charge it about 3 or sometimes 4 times a day and I am not doing any more with this phone, usage wise, than I did with my last one. I don't understand that.

Also, the little 3G with the arrows below it that is at the top of the status bar on the phones 'home page', are they constantly meant to be there and flashing their arrows? Does that mean I am constantly online? I dread to think what that costs in data alowance if I am. :/

Upvote 0
Spoke to Sony at first. Online help chat chap was very nice, but a bit useless. He wanted me to download and install onto my phone a piece of software that would wipe its memory! I didn't. I spoke to 3 and explained things and it was a simple case of replacing a web address with the IP address numbers in one of the boxes in the settings. It's all sorted now. :)

The next issue I have to solve is how to extend the life of the battery. It seems pitiful! I have had this phone for less than 7 days and it's been on the charge more times than it's been in my hands being used. I need to charge it about 3 or sometimes 4 times a day and I am not doing any more with this phone, usage wise, than I did with my last one. I don't understand that.

Also, the little 3G with the arrows below it that is at the top of the status bar on the phones 'home page', are they constantly meant to be there and flashing their arrows? Does that mean I am constantly online? I dread to think what that costs in data alowance if I am. :/
Yes the 3g flashing arrows means that you have your data on and your provider will be charging you for that. You should be able to turn it off either at the top of your notifications panel or in settings->data usage and then swipe the switch off at the top :) as for the battery life do you shut down all your apps after exiting? You should be able to do this with one of the keys at the bottom of your screen next to the home button. I have an Xperia XP and when I click this button it shows all my recent apps. If you make sure after you come out of apps etc you tap this button and swipe the open apps across the screen to close them down it should lengthen your battery life (I think it has done with mine). If this button isn't there you should be able to install a task killer from the Google play store to help :) hope this is useful!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones