1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Xperoa Z not charging while ON

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Materialmike89, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Materialmike89

None
    Please I have a problem with my phone. I exhausted the battery and now I was able to charge it. After so much problem trying to charge, it charged up to 75 percent.

when I plugged out the charger and plugged it in again (due to Power Issues), I discovered it wasn't charging.

It showed 75% and the screen stayed frozen (while off). So I decided to turn it on and then realised it wasn't charging.

While the charger was in, it wasn't charging at all. I later realised if I drain the battery to zero and leave it off, it will keep charging But extremely slowly.

I am confused as to why this is happening. My phone software is up to date. Please what can I do and is this a hardware or software problem. I will be glad to get a response. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Completely exhausting a Li ion battery is bad for it, but the phone should shut down before that happens.

The simplest thing to check would be to try a different cable, or a different charger - if that fixes it then count yourself lucky (but cables in particular can fail). Also worth checking there's no dirt in the charger socket which might be degrading the contact - if there is, try using a soft brush or an air blower to clear it out, as a hard object could damage the actual contacts.

If it had problems charging when off then it's not likely to be software, because apart from whatever low-level firmware that's displaying your charge status there shouldn't be anything running when it is off.

3. Materialmike

Materialmike Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2016
    Male

Hello. I posted this thread. I am sorry I posted it wrongly. I am new here and used my phone so I wondered why I wasn't logged in when it was posted. I tried to delete the thread and to repost while logged in but I couldn't. I will keep finding a way to do that but since I need to reply, I will do that here for now while I find a way to correct my errors of posting this the wrong way.

Thanks for the response. So far, I have tried using a different charger but the battery wasn't charging.

I have switched it on and off several times but still isn't charging. It's in 3percent and almost drained now. On shutting down and putting the charger, it still didn't charge. I wonder if it could be the battery. I am praying it isn't an hardware issue. I have tried cleaning the charging port but it isn't charging still.

I will keep trying everything possible while I keep you updated. Thanks a lot

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It could be the battery, but I didn't think that was removable on the Z, so if that's the problem it's a hardware problem anyway.

5. Materialmike

Materialmike Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2016
    Male
    Thanks a lot. I got it fixed. It's neither the battery nor the charging port.the battery was changed but still didn't charge and the charging port was changed too but the phone was still not charging. It froze in the percentage level of the battery without charging. The technician told me he had to fix (probably change) and IC on the board. That was when it came back alive and could charge. I spent a lot to fix the phone but I am glad it's working now.

Thanks a lot for the help.