1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

xRecovery Procedure?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by highaltitude, Feb 3, 2011.

1. highaltitude

highaltitude Well-Known Member

What is the correct procedure to go from one ROM to another. I have been able to use xRecovery successfully for a while now, but in light of some issues I've had lately I want to make sure I have the steps down correctly. The thread on xRec. tells you how to install it, but doesnt give any guidelines of what to do when switching between ROMs.

When you are in xRec. do you need to wipe the data or anything else before installing a different ROM? I have gone in, made a backup, then just installed "custom ROM" Should I really be doing something to clean things up before switching each time?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. manjee

manjee Lurker

As I have understood it there is no need to do something to clean things up before switching. Simply install the rom just like you do. Keep in mind that I am a new android user but this is how I have understood it after alot of research before switching roms.

3. baz@gmx.co.uk

baz@gmx.co.uk Well-Known Member

If you are "restoring" a back-up of a ROM that you want to switch to then you just need to go the the "back-up/restore" option, and select the ROM file you wish to switch to. (this assumes that you have backed up the ROM you are about to switch FROM - if you want to be able to go back to it!)

The data,system and cache are replaced by the ROM you switch to, so there is no need to delete stuff (recommend always back-up personal data first, just in case!)

If you are installing a new ROM be sure it is suited to your phones existing firmware version. But again, these will replace existing data, so no need to clean. Themes (usually installed on xrec via the "install custom zip) tend to just change aesthetics and modify features, fonts, apps and whatever else - explained in that themes' thread.

I have found that i cannot switch between ROMs that were created on 2.1 (.24 firmware) and the ROM(s) i have on the latest 2.1 (.435 firmware) as (i believe) it has something to do with the new baseband!! When i first did this i got into a bootloop and had to re-flash a generic ROM!

Hope this helped (a bit!)

highaltitude likes this.
  4. highaltitude

highaltitude Well-Known Member

For the most part that is what I thought too. I had run into the Loops, and also the perpetual FC (force close) so I thought I had been doing something wrong as far as the installs of ROMs etc. Turns out its like you stated, I think it has to do with the different baseband. Thanks for the post and info

5. rendeiro2005

rendeiro2005 Well-Known Member

You really don`t need to wipe anything (but i do :p).

Seems to me by your description that maybe (and just maybe) you download wrong rom to your current baseband/build. No?

What is your baseband? With rom did you install to have that issue?

6. baz@gmx.co.uk

baz@gmx.co.uk Well-Known Member

Also please check out This thread by Cubz for a great guide on how to easily switch between ROMs with xrecovery.

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews