1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

xScope, a multitouch pinch zoom browser

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by xScope, Nov 23, 2009.

1. xScope

xScope Android Enthusiast

Added 'Toggle Fullscreen' option in the menu for a quick work around temporarily. Meantime, the 'Add Favorite' option is removed from the menu.
    I hope you won't be annoyed by the update again.

2. dasudevil

dasudevil Android Enthusiast

I am unable to fomd the app. Searched xscope xscope zoom. Am I messing something

3. xScope

:D I sometimes couldn't search it either. I am baffled sometimes because Google is supposed to be very strong at searching.
    Try 'Zoom Browser'?

4. lekky

lekky Lover

is it only available for 1.6+ or something?

5. glentendo

glentendo Lurker

I for one don't mind the updates one bit. It is actually pretty awesome watching this app develope. Cheers to you xScope for keeping an open mind!

6. dasudevil

dasudevil Android Enthusiast

I have 1.6 and still nothing.

7. xScope

lekky and dasudevil,
    It is compiled as 2.0 app. That might explain why you can't find it. I don't think the android SDK 1.5 or 1.6 support multitouch. However, I will compile a version 1.5 or 1.6 supporting pin zoom in the future.

8. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

So as a Dolphin browser user, I've jumped over to xScope because:

1. Seems faster
    2. Cleaner interface
    3. More attractive
    4. Smoother loading / rendering
    5. Smoother pinch to zoom

You just got my 3 bucks about 40 minutes ago.

As you handle feature requests, try to maintain those 5 characteristics because right now it's what's making it so appealing.

Might I suggest as a logo that you use a lens with a faint x on it?

I think you could have a real winner here if you continue development with an eye towards reliability, simplicity of aesthetic, clean and intuitive UI. But what do I know? Nothing. Keep doing your thing. :)

9. Lancedroid

Lancedroid Newbie

This thing is really starting to look good. I love the pinch and touch zoom! I just need a better way of making favorites and a way to make a shortcut of a favorite.

Can you make a new home screen or is it always set to the favorites list?

Also, the buttons on the top bar are pretty small. I have a hard time hitting them accurately.

10. nobiggie

nobiggie Newbie

pretty new droid owner here, and i'm a real big fan of that tap&drag-zoom ability. wasn't impressed with dolphin's pinch.

fwiw, congrats on creating the first app i paid anything for :D

11. glentendo

glentendo Lurker

This is my second paid for app. I think its money well spent concidering the browser choices out there, I've tried everything else and this is the only one I didn't uninstall after 30 seconds.

12. Verio

Verio Newbie

How do I set Xscope Browser to be the default browser?

13. lekky

lekky Lover

Yeah 1.5 with the hero here. The 1.5 SDK does support multi-touch. I have multi-touch using the dolphin browser.

14. xScope

You know, both user's supports and critics are critical. Big thanks to you guys!
    We are on the same page regarding those 5 characteristics. I spent all my weekends just to experimenting what size of button is right, what buttons should be on the screen, what colors ...
    I will redesign the logo and publish it with next update. Or anyone want to help design one:rolleyes:

15. xScope

thank you.
    I usually hold my device with one hand and use my thumb to navigate. In this case, the tap&drag zoom is handy and I can't use 'pinch zoom' because it requires two fingers.

16. xScope

I will dig deeper. The multitouch support for pre 2.0 might be from third parties (non standard SDK libraries). I had read the MotionEvent document and couldn't find the functions.

17. xScope

Verio,
    I will make this as a user's option in the future.

rcaine likes this.
  18. xScope

The home screen will be redesigned in the future update. The screen itself is actually an HTML file. So we have plenty of room to make it nicer:D

19. detroid

detroid Member

Def. going to DL this soon

20. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Member

well im sold im uninstalling dolphin browser and buying your full Version. The free version works much mor seamlessly than dolphin. This is money well spent in my opinnion. keep up the good work, and by the way im going to change my rating on dolphin and change my comment to endorse xscope.

21. smacinskyjr

smacinskyjr Member

I feel stupid for asking this, but i have forgotten how to do it! Can some one please remind me how to set this up as the default browser?

22. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

There's not currently a way to do that. It's part of what the dev is working on for the next version.

23. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

Awesome. Keep up the good work.

As for the logo, here's kind of what I had in mind:

Paint.NET/Contents/Tutorials/RoundGlassButtons - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

But instead of it being green with a chunky x, it'd look like glass and have a very slender x that followed the same contour as the lens, like it was etched in.

It's good because lens = zooming, clarity, focus; glass= smooth, simple, classic, elegant; and x = target, precision. It also fits your name, of course.

The one thing I don't like about what I've linked to here is that it's a straight-on view. It'd be better if it were seen from a slight angle.

Just tossing some stuff out their. Anyone with photochops want to try to mock something up for our dev friend?

Or as an alternative, go for a glass-looking lens/globe thing. The map of earth is a ubiquitous browser icon, so it'd be good their. Then add a glint of light in the shape of an 'X'. I might actually like that one better.

24. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

And one more thing, pin-zoom might be worth trying to patent. It's a brilliant way to do zoom on a mobile where only one hand is available.