1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

xScope, a multitouch pinch zoom browser

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by xScope, Nov 23, 2009.

1. xScope

xScope Android Enthusiast

Why not? This is a great idea! I mean loading galleries from your sd card withyour browser, so that you can view it all the way you like. I will start working on this after making the browser more complete.

2. phwaap

phwaap Member

The tabs look nice! Keep up the great work. Only problem I'm having is occasionally fat fingering the open/close tab because they're so close together.

Also have a repeatable FC when logged in to nhl.com:

1. Go to Colorado Avalanche - Message Board
    2. Log in using the box in the upper right
    3. Once logged in, press the home icon

Doesn't happen when not logged in.

3. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

Another suggestion.

When it comes time to allow contextual actions on links, the long-press used by some other mobile browsers won't work because you're using that as open new tab (which is MUCH more frequently useful, so good call).

But maybe you could have a button or area of the screen that you could press to activate a secondary set of behaviors for all the actions. Kind of like an alt-key or shift-button.

So you'd hit this button and then the context of all the other buttons and actions would change. So the favorite star could change to a share button, for instance.

Just a thought. I know you like to keep things looking clean and simple, and this would prevent you from having menu and button bloat.

Maybe swiping the url bar?

It might be a bad idea. I have no expectations that you'll use it. Just sharing.

4. cadon69

cadon69 Member

This is a fantastic browser, I have uninstalled Dolphin in favor of this one. I love the pin zoom. I cant wait for the option to make it default browser. Also refresh (unless that's already there and I blind LOL).

I will be uninstalling the lite version this afternoon and purchasing the Full version to help support this app and show my appreciation for such an amazing browser.

5. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

You can refresh by hitting the ">" play symbol immediately to the right of the url bar.

6. cadon69

cadon69 Member

LOL so I am blind, thank you very much for the quick response.

7. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

I am to please :)

That button really just functions as a "go" command for whatever's in that url bar. It's actually pretty clever to have it also serve as the refresh, but it took me a sec to figure it out as well.

One thing I like about this is that it seems to be aimed at a more sophisticated user than some browsers/applications. It may take a moment to learn the ropes, but it's going to result in a much better experience.

8. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

I was browsing this forum using the Lite version, and found that text was not formatting to fit the screen when I zoomed in.

I went back to the Dolphin browser and the text reformatted to fit my zoom level, so I know it is supported.

Anyone else had trouble with this? Suggestions?

9. phwaap

phwaap Member

@Redflea - the pinch zoom seems to work normally for me on this forum.

10. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

Thanks...I was using the pin zoom when I saw the issue. Does it matter which one you use?

I'll give it another try and see...

OK - just tried it, flipping back and forth between Dolphin and XScope Lite.

In Dolphin, when I resize a page (I was on the Motorola Droid page) the thread titles resize automatically to fit in the available screen space so I can read then w/out any left-right scrolling. (I'm browsing in portrait view.)

When I do the same in XScope, the thread titles don't wrap, they run off the screen and I have to scroll to read all of the text. Same w/thread content - when I zoom in Dolphin it automagically fits the content to my screen, when I zoom in XScope, the text runs off to the right and doesn't fit to screen.

I don't see any setting to fix this...anyone have any idea why it isn't working for me? I really like the pin zoom (which, by the way, I thought of weeks ago when I first got my Droid :D) and might be willing to give up the Dolphin gestures (which I LOVE) if this browser can fit text the way the default browser and Dolphin do.

Thanks...

11. glentendo

glentendo Lurker

3.0 is great, I love the tabs!

There are a few things I've noticed though.

I was trying to download a podcast, which required me to "save link as" which isn't an option on 3.0 (maybe it is?).

When entering in a password, there is no indication as to what has been entered until after you hit go (entering ur login and password on androidforums for instance.

hope I made since.

12. xScope

A smarter context menu will be developed as Droiiiiiid suggested so that you can choose to open in new tab, save as, or others. As for the passwords, I had same problem. Need further investigation on what to do to fix it.

13. xScope

This is actually related to how webview renders layout. There are three options:
    1. Normal (default by xScope), 2. Narrow columns, 3. Single column. See this link for detailed explaination.

WebSettings.LayoutAlgorithm | Android Developers

There will be an update to include all those options.
    This is actually a good question.

14. xScope

Those will be implemented :D

15. xScope

This might be again the default layout algorithm problem?

16. xScope

Guys,

First, thanks for all your support, great feedback and suggestions. In my work list are:

Data related:
    Clear Cache
    Clear Form Data
    Clear History

Screen related:
    Portrait
    Landscape
    Auto rotate (default)
    Always On (setKeepScreenOn(true))

Default Zoom Scale:
    1.5(default)
    overview

Layout Algorithm:
    Narrow (fit screen?)
    Normal
    Single Column

Bookmark Management

Downloads Management

UserAgent
    PC
    Iphone
    Normal

Set as default

I am all ears and open:)

rcaine likes this.
  17. cadon69

cadon69 Member

These will make the browser so much better than it already is. Thank yoiu for the great support and the great browser. I am logging in to the Market on my phone now that I am able to and purchasing the Full version to help support.

Thank again.

18. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

Thanks. Good to know it's not a just me issue. :)

This is a must for me. I look forward to the update.

great work.

19. BottledHate

BottledHate Android Enthusiast

this looks very promising... feels great! just can't see 2.99 for such an incomplete browser... i'm sure that i'll be back when it's more complete! keep up the great work! :D

20. dustoff475

dustoff475 Lurker

Is there a way to change the homepage in xscope to google?

21. xScope

dustoff,
    I am
    working on it ...
    Thnaks

22. NeuroNY

NeuroNY Newbie

This is a fantastic product, and I purchased as well to support all your efforts.

A few humble suggestions:

- I think you mentioned you're still working on the search parsing so that the app knows when to do a google search and when to go to a URL; right now, unless somebody can tell me what I am doing wrong, I cannot get XScope to go directly to a URL at all unless I type "http://" - if I leave out the "http" , it ...ibrate the delay/surface area for taps, etc.)

23. xScope

NeuroNY,

THanks for your support.

1 & 2 are in my list. 3 might be related to the way of handling javascript and user agent settings. once they are ready, I will give it a try to see it's fixed.

There are two things in defining double tap or tap-drag zoom. One is the time interval between two taps (100-800ms). Another is repeatability of two taps (20pixels apart). Those values need to be optimized and should be user configurable in the future.

24. droiiiiid

droiiiiid Member

As for the double tap issues, I noticed that if I open the "draw!" program which converts inputs to virtual ink, it's inconsistent as to how and when it registers those inputs.

So I think, in my case, it might be more a function of the OS or the hardware than settings. But maybe I'm wrong.

25. brokenrhino

brokenrhino Lurker

A media gallery would be great.