• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hey, Frisco, quick question for you..

If I want to flash v30 coming from stock 2.1 do I have to wipe first or can I just D/L, do a nandroid backup, then flash over 2.1? I just rooted 2 days ago and I'm finally ready to take the dive into custom ROM's, so be gentle ;) Thanks in advance :D

I forsook the wipe as an experiment; quite unusual as I always do the three wipe regimen following a nand backup of xtrROM (whatever version I'm running).

I was surprised that the v30 dove-tailed with v27 perfectly, importing all settings, apps and tweaks. After a full day, yesterday, of moving through the menus, I found that the only things I had to do were the several new settings offered in v30.

If I'd gone from v29 to v30 I would not have been so surprised about the results; I honestly was prepared to just hang it up and restore v27, do a normal wipe routine, and then flash v30.

And now, back to the topic of xtrROM 4x... ;)

Upvote 0
Anyone having problems with apps2sd with 4.0.6? I flashed last night and loaded/ran the GScript, rebooted (turned phone off, then back on, didn't run the Quickboot). I checked internal memory and it was around 83mb, I started to install my apps and now I'm down to 67mb. Something just doesn't seem right. Is there any other way I can verify?

Everything else with this ROM is just awesome so far, very fast, no overclocking. I upgraded from 3.0.3.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Anyone having problems with apps2sd with 4.0.6? I flashed last night and loaded/ran the GScript, rebooted (turned phone off, then back on, didn't run the Quickboot). I checked internal memory and it was around 83mb, I started to install my apps and now I'm down to 67mb. Something just doesn't seem right. Is there any other way I can verify?

Actually, there is something that you can do to verify, and it is right in the instructions in the first post in the XDA thread:

So how do I know Apps2sd is on?
I have provided a new GScript internal_storage_report that prints your phones storage blocks. Look for the /data block and the /system/sd block and the printed numbers for each block are: total, used, free, % used. You can also go to menu>Settings>Sd card and phone storage - when on you will see much more space available under Available storage (i.e. 150mb vs 100mb) and this number will go down at a much slower rate when new apps are installed.

I'm just guessing, but that loss of space may be due to the Dalvik cache, which I am guessing that you haven't moved to SD (I'm not sure that I would, unless you have a class 6 SD card).

Upvote 0
I gave kaos 2 solid hours last night and just cant get the feel for it. While I fixed my other issues with pure lag and no wireless, other issues like 50% battery drain in 2 hours from a full charge, 2 of my very important widgets, my calendar being #1 kept closing with a message on screen that just says "Problem opening widget". I reboot I close the widget and add it back to the desktop and it works till the screen goes blank then when I wake the phone the widgets are broke. I have to have a working calendar.

SO back to xtr 4.06, back to speed cuz it just smokes froyo, and back to working everything...

Upvote 0
I gave kaos 2 solid hours last night and just cant get the feel for it. While I fixed my other issues with pure lag and no wireless, other issues like 50% battery drain in 2 hours from a full charge, 2 of my very important widgets, my calendar being #1 kept closing with a message on screen that just says "Problem opening widget". I reboot I close the widget and add it back to the desktop and it works till the screen goes blank then when I wake the phone the widgets are broke. I have to have a working calendar.

SO back to xtr 4.06, back to speed cuz it just smokes froyo, and back to working everything...

Yes, I've gone scampering back to xtrROM after a bad experience or two with other ROMs. WW comes to mind, as well as EE.

But Kaos Froyo v30 is screaming solid on my Eris right now. Of course it was not when I first flashed it in; there has been a bit of tweaking and overclocking.. etc.. ;)

Gonna give it about another 5 or six days.. but it's growing on me; hats off to all 2.2 devs for the Eris.

Upvote 0
It should also be noted that, if you have ever used a Cyanogen ROM in the past, kaos froyo (and other cyanogen ROMs) will spend a lot of time and resources restoring your settings and apps after you first install. It can make the phone seem really slow until it is done. So long as you see that sync icon in the status bar at the top, your phone is spending a lot of resources getting itself synced.

That said, I love XTR and would fault nobody for saying "no, thanks" to any of the Froyo builds. XTR is solid.

Upvote 0
EricatUNC you say to rename or remove htclockscreen.apk. So do i copy paste that file name over it?

IMHO, the easiest way to do this is to get the free app Root Explorer from the market and use that app to rename the file to htclockscreen.bak (or delete it, if you are sure you don't want it back.) Well, you could also move the file to your SD card or something.

Upvote 0
IMHO, the easiest way to do this is to get the free app Root Explorer from the market and use that app to rename the file to htclockscreen.bak (or delete it, if you are sure you don't want it back.) Well, you could also move the file to your SD card or something.

+1, although I usually use adb shelll, this would definitely be easier. If memory serves me correctly, I had to flash the new lockscreen, reboot, delete/rename the htclockscreen.apk, then reboot again and everything worked.

Upvote 0
I got the vanilla lockscreen working but how do i change the wallpaper? Goin to photos then setting pic but doesn't work. Any suggestions?

I think the instructions are in the first post of that thread over on XDA. You can't set it like you normally would. You need to create a png that is 320x480, move it into the zip, move the zip back over to the phone, and use Metamorph to apply it. Sort of a PITA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones