• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root xtrROM 4.5

Good morning all,

I'm not sure if its the ROM or some application that needs to be killed, but my battery life has been draining extremely fast this morning. I have set the autokiller to strict, but thats about it.

Yesterday I did not experience this at all, but today is a different story. I still love this new xtr ROM (very fast and has a high "snap factor") so I hope this is just something else. I'll keep posting my findings.

Upvote 0
Good morning all,

I'm not sure if its the ROM or some application that needs to be killed, but my battery life has been draining extremely fast this morning. I have set the autokiller to strict, but thats about it.

Yesterday I did not experience this at all, but today is a different story. I still love this new xtr ROM (very fast and has a high "snap factor") so I hope this is just something else. I'll keep posting my findings.

Is the sync indicator icon constantly in the top status bar? You could have a Google sync error causing a runaway looping sync process. (If you don't know what I am talking about when I mention the sync icon, settings->Accounts & sync, is the Google account constantly syncing?)

I agree, look for some process gone rogue. I unplugged my phone at 6:am this morning, listened to a 30 minute podcast on my way to work, and I'm still showing a fully charged battery icon. While that makes me think the battery indicator might need some refining, because it can't be FULLY charged, neither am I showing a battery drain of any sort.

Upvote 0
I agree, look for some process gone rogue. I unplugged my phone at 6:am this morning, listened to a 30 minute podcast on my way to work, and I'm still showing a fully charged battery icon. While that makes me think the battery indicator might need some refining, because it can't be FULLY charged, neither am I showing a battery drain of any sort.

I checked the sync (thanks), but its not that. My phone seems to have ceased draining. It went from 100 - 88 unusually fast this morning. I did make some calls and send texts. Who knows... I might be paranoid since i left my usb cable at home today.

(side note: i usually bring in the usb cable in case a new ROM comes out so I can download it, but xtr4.5 has me satisfied enough to leave it at home)

I'll keep an eye on the battery use and post any more findings for everyone. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about flashing this ROM over the weekend. I'm a little confused on APs2SD, Cache2Cache, and Cache2sd. I'm currently running an older version of xtrsense with Aps2sd on and working great. When I wipe everything, should I create a backup of the sd card and unpartition that as well before flashing xtrROM4.5, then follow up with a titanium restore of apps (which if I'm reading the documentation correctly will get stored of a separate internal area of the memory?) Or should I just run gscripts and turn cache2cache and cache2sd off and keep with APs2SD like I currently have?

Rez

Upvote 0
I'm thinking about flashing this ROM over the weekend. I'm a little confused on APs2SD, Cache2Cache, and Cache2sd. I'm currently running an older version of xtrsense with Aps2sd on and working great. When I wipe everything, should I create a backup of the sd card and unpartition that as well before flashing xtrROM4.5, then follow up with a titanium restore of apps (which if I'm reading the documentation correctly will get stored of a separate internal area of the memory?) Or should I just run gscripts and turn cache2cache and cache2sd off and keep with APs2SD like I currently have?

See bold. Sounds like a plan, but, to make it easier on yourself, don't bother repartitioning the SD card (unless you need that extra space.) Just do a wipe sd:ext, which will wipe the partition with your apps on SD, and never activate apps2sd and you should be fine. And, if you do end up running low on space anyway, you'll still have that partition there to activate apps2d later on.

You are right about Titanium - it will restore your apps to internal on xtrROM 4.5 if you never activate apps2sd.

Upvote 0

Lol this is sorta off topic... What app (if you do use one) do you use to listen to podcasts?

Upvote 0
I read something about the Cache2sd or Cache2Cache using unused memory on the phone but I didn't really understand it. Does Cache2Cache replace the point of aps2sd?

Internal memory of the phone is partitioned into specific areas. By moving the Dalvik cache, which is normally in the same area that your apps are installed into, to the relatively unused app cache area, you free up more storage space for apps.

Apps2sd seems to work well, and I needed it myself with xtrROM, but, if you can use cache2cache to open up the space and not require apps2sd, I think that you are better off without it.

This is the developer's explanation:

Cache Location (Cache2cache):
By default, the dalvik-cache has been relocated from the internal /data/dalvik-cache/ directory to the internal /cache/dalvik-cache directory. The Eris comes with an internal /cache/ file block of 130mb that is not used! After reviewing a number of xda member file system usage reports (thanks xtrROM and xtrSENSE users!) the MOST reported use of this space was 5%... So by moving the dalvik-cache to this free area you now have over 150mb on internal /data/ for apps and over 75mb in internal /cache/ for dalvik-cache. This means that you can probably install close to 100 apps WITHOUT having to partition and move anything to the SD Card ext!

Upvote 0
oh man. I switched to kaos froyo 32 as it runs pretty decent on my phone. I really like the dialer/call log/contacts system in froyo. I have actually had it over a weeks now. I may have to switch back cuz well xtr rocks and is faster than all. I will give this version of froyo credit though, kaos really got it running smooth, not as fast as xtr but pretty smooth.

Upvote 0
been running it all day no probs, very responsive and no bugs so far.

I flashed a couple of days ago. Really like it. The only issue I have, is my incoming SMS messages will not vibrate. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Handcent and checked everything twice.

I may just try a re-flash.

EDIT*** a re-flash worked and everything is working famously. As a side note, I love the Ti Backup Donate version.

Upvote 0
I see XDA site is down so I haven't read anything regards to how 4.5 improves 4.1.....love the 4.1 and not sure if I need the 4.5 unless there are some really compelling reasons....thoughts of those who have upgraded to 4.5?

Thanks

There are two main features of 4.5 compared to 4.1. The first is cache2cache. What this does is move the dalvik-cache from the /data/ partition of the phone to the /cache/ partition of the phone. That /data/ partition is where all of the applications you install and the data for those applications go. By moving the davlik-cache, it frees up a ton of room in the /data/ partition making it so you probably don't need to move the applications to the sd card.

The second is the use of the new CFS kernel. This kernel is supposed to be faster with a little better battery life. It uses a different type of cpu governor method.

If you are happy with 4.1 and are not running out of room to install applications you probably can live without the update. But, if you could use more internal storage space it might be worth the upgrade.

Jeff

Upvote 0
If 2.1 is faster than 2.2, then how can that be a downgrade?? :)

Certain things in 2.2 are just more user friendly. I really like the dialer in 2.2. I would love to see it ported to 2.1. I also like the exchange email in 2.2 as well. The only things I do not like in 2.2 is the gallery app, the 3d gallery sucks, slow and painful to use and over all speed.

XTR hands down is super fast. When 4.5 official releases I will probably be switching back.

Upvote 0
Certain things in 2.2 are just more user friendly. I really like the dialer in 2.2. I would love to see it ported to 2.1. I also like the exchange email in 2.2 as well. The only things I do not like in 2.2 is the gallery app, the 3d gallery sucks, slow and painful to use and over all speed.

XTR hands down is super fast. When 4.5 official releases I will probably be switching back.

Have you tried Zach's Vanilla 2.0 rom? It is a pure AOSP rom. I am pretty sure it has the same dialer as 2.2. I am not sure about the exchange e-mail client.

Upvote 0
If I go from Kaos Froyo v32 do I need to do anything special to flash this rom? (I'm only asking because I haven't gone from 2.2 to 2.1 yet and I really need my camera/gallery to function correctly.)

Nothing besides the usual stuff, nandroid backup, wipe dalvik-cache, and wipe phone. Then install the new rom.

Reactions: Denakisland
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones