• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root xtrSense vs. xtrSense?

erisuser1

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
4.2.1 vs. 4.6, that is.

I'm looking for feedback from xtrSense fans that have used both.

While I am currently using Froyo (CELB 3.2), I want to have a 2.1 ROM "on deck" for those times when I just want every last thing to work flawlessly. (e.g. I have the Froyo undead call bug in mind, and a better camera app).

Probably I would be running it with no cache2sd, no apps2sd, standard OC'ing (245-710), zanfur kernel.

Is there any reason to prefer 4.2.1 over 4.6, when "bug free" is the highest priority?

eu1

I think that may be a CM-related issue, not just Froyo. I had that exact same issue on the last 2.1 version of CELB (when it was just ErisLightningBolt), and I still have it happen using KaosFroyo.

Yep. Sorry for my imprecise language - it also affects CyanogenMod 5.x ROMs - which are "2.1" ROMs, just as you noted. So, yeah - it's not just Froyo, it seems to be just about any CM-derived ROM for the Eris. I'm not sure about vanilla AOSP ROMs, though. (The odd thing is that the CM source code for "rild" is extremely simple and straightforward, and the problem doesn't seem to depend on radio firmware version... whatever causes the trouble is pretty darn subtle.)

But... back on topic! Is there anybody out there that had been using xtrSense 4.2.1, tried xtrSense 4.6, and then rolled back to 4.2.1? If so, what where the reasons?

eu1

Upvote 0
4.6 > 4.2

4.6 is 100% stable and is worth it to install just to check out the battery tweak. I've definitely noticed a nice increase in battery life with it enabled and the associated performance hit hasn't bothered me a bit. Also, wireless tether issues have been fixed (there were some issues with 4.2) and NAND + ext backup issues have been fixed (for those who run Apps2SD). So, in those respects, 4.6 is a more stable build.

I run Battery Tweak (customized for my OC settings), OC Max 748800, OC Min 19200, Cache2Cache (enabled by default), Zanfur kernel.

Reactions: erisuser1
Upvote 0
I honestly liked 4.5 the best, simply because when I was using MixZing, the equalizer would stay on when using the phone outside of the MixZing app. 4.6 nor any other Sense ROM does that.

The only difference I can think of is that maybe it remained on because of the CFS Kernel that was installed with the 4.5 builds of xtrSENSE and xtrROM. Have you tried flashing the latest revision of Conap/Decad3nce's CFS kernel (CFSv6)?

This should be safe to flash over xtrSENSE, per Zach's OP on XDA. Here's a link to the latest version of CFS for the Eris: [GPL]2.6.29.6 CFS Kernel V 10/17/10 - xda-developers

Let us know if it works!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones