• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root xtrSENSE

now that its fully charged you might wipe battery stats again,and try and let it fully discharge(turn off) befgore you recahrge it. then if possible charge it to 100% again.

i have read numerous procedures for making the battery stats accurate involving many charge/discharge cycles,combined with a full moon and standing on your head :eek: i think wiping them at a full charge is prolly sufficient,tho :)

Upvote 0
HELP!? Haha, wow am I stuck. I flashed XTR5.1 out of GSB 2.1. I also flashed a Gapps package. However, I can not get into Market. I have the market icon, but it force closes. Won't let me in. Won't let me set up my email either. I have no file manager, no Rom Manager, can't get to my back-ups that were on Rom manager, and there is no Nandroid back-up for me to fall back on. When I do get my trackball to work in RA, again, nothing in there anymore although I had left my old Nonsensikal in there as a Nan back-up. Any suggestions how to work my way out of this? LOL, the good news is I can at least make and receive calls, but that's pretty much it right now. It almost looks like I lost my root, but SU is still there so.....

well,you prolly goofed it up by flashing a gapps package. xtrsense has all that built in,no need to flash it seperately.

Scotty is right - you flashed the Froyo/GB version of the Google apps over xtr, which is Eclair/2.1, which cannot run those versions.

You shouldn't need to Nandroid restore back - just do a wipe data/factory reset, reflash the ROM again, do not reflash gapps, and restart.

Reactions: GJW419
Upvote 0
Scotty is right - you flashed the Froyo/GB version of the Google apps over xtr, which is Eclair/2.1, which cannot run those versions.

You shouldn't need to Nandroid restore back - just do a wipe data/factory reset, reflash the ROM again, do not reflash gapps, and restart.

There is no back-up. I'm stuck. I understand some people have had problems with Rom manager/Clockwork, I have not. I spent hours one day trying to get that "Trackball optional" flashed and after countless attempts, following everyones advice, all I kept getting was "bad zip". So, I just started using ROM/Clockwork and have had no problems. So, moving on, the problem was not due to that anyway, it's because I flashed Gapps as I have become so used to doing so. I've done a factory wipe/ reset, reflashed the XTR Rom, nothing is helping. There isn't even a version of XTR in my Nan back-up to restore anymore anyway. I have a phone with XTR on it, but can not get into the market, can not sign into google or email, and don't have a file manager of any variety to flash anything onto because I can't get it onto my phone. So, that's where I am at. Any suggestions as to my next move obviously would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
There is no back-up. I'm stuck. I understand some people have had problems with Rom manager/Clockwork, I have not. I spent hours one day trying to get that "Trackball optional" flashed and after countless attempts, following everyones advice, all I kept getting was "bad zip". So, I just started using ROM/Clockwork and have had no problems. So, moving on, the problem was not due to that anyway, it's because I flashed Gapps as I have become so used to doing so. I've done a factory wipe/ reset, reflashed the XTR Rom, nothing is helping. There isn't even a version of XTR in my Nan back-up to restore anymore anyway. I have a phone with XTR on it, but can not get into the market, can not sign into google or email, and don't have a file manager of any variety to flash anything onto because I can't get it onto my phone. So, that's where I am at. Any suggestions as to my next move obviously would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you choose the flash a zip menu within Amon's, you should see one called update.zip. Flash that and it will start Clockwork Recovery within Amon's.

I'm very surprised that wipe data/factory reset. wipe Dalvik cache, followed by a flash of xtrSENSE before restarting the phone does not fix this, but if that doesn't, try flashing another ROM first, restart the phone, go back to Recovery, and then wipe, wipe. flash xtrSENSE and see if that's better.

[edit] You don't have to Nandroid restore xtrSENSE - you can Nandroid Restore anything that you have backed up already. I always data wipe/wipe Dalvik first.

Also, you may want to try to figure out how to get adb working, as that is one way you can use to get the optional recovery installed on the phone.

Upvote 0
1) Update zip is not there. The Rom I originally flashed is not there. In short: There is NOTHING in Ra recovery. IE: I scroll down and hit "flash from zip" or whatever it is and I get "E" No zip found".

Again: I can NOT flash ANY Rom. There are no Roms in my recovery. There is nothing. I have no file manager (none, by any name) on my phone so that I can even download one. I can not get any file manager because I can not get onto the market.

Maybe there's something I can do by hooking up to my PC but then there's another problem, I have no clue how to set things up by going through my PC, always did it by phone only. And thank you for your reply.

Upvote 0
I remember this now.

If you plug your phone in to your computer using a USB cable - I assume that you are running windows - does it make the noise that you usually hear when you plug new hardware into the computer? IIRC, if you go to My Computer in Windows Explorer after plugging the phone into the computer, you never see a new drive letter under devices with removable storage (or whatever Vista/Win7 calls them these days?)

I think if we can get this to work, we can at least get you up and running, even without using adb commands. Also, if it's possible for you to get a micro-SD card reader, you can take the SD card out of the Eris, pop it into the reader, and then use that to copy files over.

(Note to Erisuser1 or Scary: would it work in this user's case to load the PB00IMG image for the V3 leak and then just have him re-root? I can't see why not myself.)

Upvote 0
I remember this now.

If you plug your phone in to your computer using a USB cable - I assume that you are running windows - does it make the noise that you usually hear when you plug new hardware into the computer? IIRC, if you go to My Computer in Windows Explorer after plugging the phone into the computer, you never see a new drive letter under devices with removable storage (or whatever Vista/Win7 calls them these days?)

I think if we can get this to work, we can at least get you up and running, even without using adb commands. Also, if it's possible for you to get a micro-SD card reader, you can take the SD card out of the Eris, pop it into the reader, and then use that to copy files over.

(Note to Erisuser1 or Scary: would it work in this user's case to load the PB00IMG image for the V3 leak and then just have him re-root? I can't see why not myself.)

My SD card is wiped. Nothing on it. So, not an option there. My card is the whole reason I elected to do all work by phone, whenever I put it into my reader and into PC I got that "not signed" error. Not remembering if that is the correct terminology but I believe you know what I mean. Currently, I AM downloading the SDK info into my computer to connect by USB and go from there. I had to update Java first. I'll work on it that way for now but check back periodically to see if there are any other options.

Oh, FTR: I am running Windows Vista on this computer.

Upvote 0
My SD card is wiped. Nothing on it. So, not an option there. My card is the whole reason I elected to do all work by phone, whenever I put it into my reader and into PC I got that "not signed" error. Not remembering if that is the correct terminology but I believe you know what I mean. Currently, I AM downloading the SDK info into my computer to connect by UCB and go from there. I had to update Java first. I'll work on it that way for now but check back periodically to see if there are any other options.

I'm actually not sure what the not signed error is, but that's ok. You are using the official Windows method to safely remove hardware from the computer before you pull the cable (or the SD card reader), I hope?

When you start in Recovery you can usually choose that second menu item, USB-MS I think, to allow access from a USB connected PC to the SD card in the Eris.

(I just fired up Windows for the first time in months, and attached the Eris for the first time. Gack, how do people put up with this? J/k. I was prompted to install adb after plugging in and choosing disk drive from the Eris - yikes! - but I was definitely able to connect to the SD card as a removable disk when I canceled out of that.)

FWIW, I'm going to try to attach update.zip, which should give you Clockwork if you are more comfortable with that. As I said before, just flash it from Amon's to start it within Amon's. Obviously, copy it to your SD card.

I'm just curious, did you wipe your SD card deliberately, or did it just get wiped somehow?

Attachments

• update.zip
    810.8 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
have you tried going to the online market( https://market.android.com/ ),sign into your google account and try and send items to your phone from there? if so,you should be able to send yourself rom manager:)eek:),a file manager,and titanium backup.that would give us some more option to help you get it straightnened out.

Unfortunately, you need to access the market from the phone first in order for this to work. If you could get the .apk files downloaded to the phone, you could try to sideload them, I would think.

Upvote 0
1) I scroll down and hit "flash from zip" or whatever it is and I get "E" No zip found".

wait a minute... i thot part of the prollem with using Amon_Ra was that you couldnt install the "trackball not needed" recovery,wich you needed because your track ball didnt work in the regular version? :thinking:

if you can get into Amon and use your tracball,and you have a nand of nonsensical,why can you not simply restore it to get to a rom with a working market? :thinking:

you said this in your first "help" post:
When I do get my trackball to work in RA, again, nothing in there anymore although I had left my old Nonsensikal in there as a Nan back-up.

im so lost now in what works for you and what doesnt i dont even know what to offer.

try sending things to your phone from the online market. if that doesnt work,try going to the market on your phones browser.

failing that,you could go to xda on your phones browser and download xtr to flash in Amon,like bobcat does.

if your phones email still works,we can maybe find a file manager .apk to email you,so you can download roms and move them with that.

Upvote 0
I understand some people have had problems with Rom manager/Clockwork, I have not..

well,you appear to be having one now ;)

while it is certainly true that Amon would not have prevented you from making the same mistake that you just did(flashing gapps when you shouldnt have),if you had followed advice to get the tracball not needed recovery working,and become skilled at using Amon for your backing up/wiping/flashing,then you would NOT be in the pickle that youre in: a non-working rom with no means of obtaining the tools and files to flash a working rom.

if you had used Amon to flash in the first place,then when we said "go back and wipe and flash without gapps" then you would have easily been able to do that.

you have discovered a very large prollem with rom manager-it has to be there in order to work :p Amon will always be there for you.

when we get this all straightened out,please use Amon for awhile. at least long enuff to be comfortable using it,for these situations. after that,if you want to go back to rom manager,go ahead- at least youll be doing it with the knowlege to fix prollems like this one in recovery if you need to.

i hope i dont sound harsh,i really dont mean to pick on you. its just that this is an easily fixable prollem that resulted from a very common error.

where are you located again? if you were any where close to dayton,oh,id be more than happy to help you with it in person.

Upvote 0
well,you appear to be having one now ;)

while it is certainly true that Amon would not have prevented you from making the same mistake that you just did(flashing gapps when you shouldnt have),if you had followed advice to get the tracball not needed recovery working,and become skilled at using Amon for your backing up/wiping/flashing,then you would NOT be in the pickle that youre in: a non-working rom with no means of obtaining the tools and files to flash a working rom.

if you had used Amon to flash in the first place,then when we said "go back and wipe and flash without gapps" then you would have easily been able to do that.

you have discovered a very large prollem with rom manager-it has to be there in order to work :p Amon will always be there for you.

when we get this all straightened out,please use Amon for awhile. at least long enuff to be comfortable using it,for these situations. after that,if you want to go back to rom manager,go ahead- at least youll be doing it with the knowlege to fix prollems like this one in recovery if you need to.

i hope i dont sound harsh,i really dont mean to pick on you. its just that this is an easily fixable prollem that resulted from a very common error.

where are you located again? if you were any where close to dayton,oh,id be more than happy to help you with it in person.

So my idea was a little to simple or I'm missing something.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure that this is true. He says that his SD card is wiped, so he'd still be in the same boat. If there was a way to get the Clockwork update.zip into the root directory he may actually be better off, since Clockwork can flash from directories other than the root directory, so downloading items from the browser to the /download folder would definitely help with Clockwork. You would want to be careful about checking file integrity with the AFV app, but I am sure that Scary would not mind if his app was sideloaded to do this.

(BTW, to sideload apps, from home settings->applications and check "Unknown sources".)

Upvote 0
I'm not sure that this is true. He says that his SD card is wiped, so he'd still be in the same boat.

define "wiped" ? i took it to mean that there was just nothing there he could flash,since hes been using rom manager. if we can get him a file manager,he could download a rom to flash with RA or clockwork with the phones browser.

if the card is bad.i.e.,not functional,then a new card would be in order. if his card is bad,then i dont think clockwork will do any good either... it still needs the card even tho it does have the ability to flash from within folders.

im starting to think your idea of running the root rom then rerooting is a good idea. at least at the end of that he will be s-off and in a somewhat better state. im a little nervous about recomending to flash things with clockwork because of this thread: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...loading-new-roms-rooted-eris.html#post2393058

Upvote 0
so we need to either:

1)get him a .apk of rom manager that he could sideload so he can use that to reflash xtrsense

or

2)get him a file manager so he can download a rom with the phones browser and flash with clockwork or Amon

or

3)help him figure out another way to get a rom on his sd card so that he can flash with clockwork or amon

does this sound about right?

edit: ive found .apks for rom manager,atro file manager,and titanium backup in my drop box. can i maybe download and email to him? any other ideas?

Upvote 0
define "wiped" ?

My SD card is wiped. Nothing on it.

It sounds that way, because when you load Clockwork from ROM Manager, it pops "update.zip" into the root of the SD card, to be loaded from Amon's as the phone restarts. If it wasn't there, then it sounds like the SD was wiped.

That's how Clockwork runs from ROM Manager when you have Amon's as the recovery image - it restarts into Amon's Recovery and has it automatically flash update.zip, which then starts Clockwork Recovery.

That said, I do keep a few stock Nandroids on Amon's, just in case I have a flashing disaster. I also like Scary's version of Recovery, which has the ability to do a true /cache format and, like Clockwork, backs up the /cache partition.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones