1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support xvid & sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gadgetmann, Jun 17, 2011.

1. gadgetmann

gadgetmann Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Anyone else have similar issues?

I've tried a couple of xvids so its not the file. I'm trying to watch them in Gallery and after around 1:30m-1:40m the sound cuts out. I can get sound back for a little bit by locking the screen then coming back.

I've tried rockplayer as well and using HW decompression I get exactly the same issue but it's ok when using SW except the video quality is slightly poorer.

Actually I'm also finding the occasional stutter too on the xvids which never happened on my iphone. I'd have thought if my iphone can watch ok, the Sensation would be flawless. But it's not.

MP4 works fine by the way.

Advertisement

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    @gadgetmann,
    I'm moving this topic to Sensation forum, because it is more relevant to it.

Looks like HTC has made their own video player on Sensation, but it has a limited Xvid support. The solution is either to use another video player (I'd recommend MoboPlayer) or to convert those files.

3. gadgetmann

gadgetmann Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    I have tried Moboplayer....and others. All the same problem if HW decompression is used, so I guess this is not a application software issue. They all lose sound at exactly the same point in time, regardless of movie/TV program.

I've reported it to HTC and see what they come back with if anything. I can't believe I'm the only one who's tried to run xvid on my phone?

Could anyone else try it and let me know too? I am wondering if this is a fault specific to my phone for some reason or a more general issue.

Thanks

4. Tsuchigo

Tsuchigo Lurker
    None

Jun 23, 2011
    Hey,

I.just to chime in and say that I am having the same issue. I have also found several posts elsewhere on the web with the issue, none with a fix to the root problem. I also want to know if this is standard for the phone or if It's a bad batch or something.

5. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Try Diceplayer, its the best video player I've found so far (and even on my SGSII, which has much better video playback than the Sensation I still need Diceplayer for some things). It uses hardware decoding, which gives it a considerable advantage over lots of the other video players on the Market.

inisoft likes this.
  6. gadgetmann

gadgetmann Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Well what'dya know! Diceplayer worked. Well the trial did.

Bit by the by now since my GF is now the main user of the phone. But if I swap phones with her later this year when my work sort out their email to Android offering then I'll deffo buy it.

Cheers

7. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Good stuff, Dice Player is now my main video player of choice for Android.