• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Xz1 - will only boot up to the 3 dots then shuts down

When it shuts down does it attempt to restart or just stay shut down?

If you plug it in what happens? Does it start to charge? Does it report that the battery was flat? Does it charge suspiciously quickly?

Basically I'm wondering whether the battery is dying, which would be one (but only one) possible explanation.

Upvote 0
When it shuts down does it attempt to restart or just stay shut down?

If you plug it in what happens? Does it start to charge? Does it report that the battery was flat? Does it charge suspiciously quickly?

Basically I'm wondering whether the battery is dying, which would be one (but only one) possible explanation.

Hi, it charges up fine and holds it's charge for a long time, thanks

Upvote 0
can we get more background info? was this all of a sudden? after an update? was the phone dropped or damaged some how?

Hi , it just happened all of a sudden ,it still charges up and starts up it doesn't try to restart it gets to the 3 dots on boot up then just goes blank, it also connects to the pc but when I click on the phone icon in (my computer) it opens up but there's nothing showing like there's no operating system, I've tried to flash it as well but only goes as far as ' getvar: download size' or something of that nature then nothing, hope this helps, cheers

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
What state is it in when you connect to the PC? File transfer via MTP requires that the Android operating system is running, so if it won't boot I'd not expect you to be able to see the filesystem.

I don't know what the procedure and tools for flashing a Sony are (each manufacturer has its own way of doing this), but I'd guess you would have to boot it into fastboot or download mode (some tools would connect to the phone when it is running Android and tell it to boot into the correct mode, but that sounds unlikely to work in this state). Which raises the question of whether the phone will boot into those modes, or recovery mode? If it is stable in one of those modes there's a chance something can be done.

If it was bootlooping (constantly restarts part way through the boot up) I'd suggest going into recovery mode and trying a factory reset, but this sounds a bit worse than that. You could still try, but I'm not optimistic (of course you'd lose any data that aren't backed up, so if there is anything important there I'd keep this as a last resort).

Upvote 0
What state is it in when you connect to the PC? File transfer via MTP requires that the Android operating system is running, so if it won't boot I'd not expect you to be able to see the filesystem.

I don't know what the procedure and tools for flashing a Sony are (each manufacturer has its own way of doing this), but I'd guess you would have to boot it into fastboot or download mode (some tools would connect to the phone when it is running Android and tell it to boot into the correct mode, but that sounds unlikely to work in this state). Which raises the question of whether the phone will boot into those modes, or recovery mode? If it is stable in one of those modes there's a chance something can be done.

If it was bootlooping (constantly restarts part way through the boot up) I'd suggest going into recovery mode and trying a factory reset, but this sounds a bit worse than that. You could still try, but I'm not optimistic (of course you'd lose any data that aren't backed up, so if there is anything important there I'd keep this as a last resort).
Ok thanks very much for your advice, cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones