• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Yahoo email "account" vs. Yahoo app

I refuse to use "apps" devoted to one email service.
that is self defeating and clutters things up really bad.

Aqua Mail handles all of them perfectly well, so why add on extra apps that aren't needed?

Yahoo keeps badgering me to turn off "untrusted" email apps on my PC.... to hell with that, they want me to install their own app exclusively and that is just not going to happen. I access my emails from multiple devices, and I won't be badgered into installing a priority type app.

Last edited:
Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0
I agree with @AZgl1500 about adding extra apps when ones already on the device will do what is necessary.

I also agree with @lunatic59, which is why I have all my email accounts handled by Gmail. I know that a lot of people want as little to do with Google as possible but I have never had any problems using Google services. If I want an Android device, which I do, I can't avoid it so in for a penny in for a pound.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I refuse to use "apps" devoted to one email service.
that is self defeating and clutters things up really bad.

Aqua Mail handles all of them perfectly well, so why add on extra apps that aren't needed?

Yahoo keeps badgering me to turn off "untrusted" email apps on my PC.... to hell with that, they want me to install their own app exclusively and that is just not going to happen. I access my emails from multiple devices, and I won't be badgered into installed a priority type app.

I use the browser with everything disabled. I can close the browser and clear all of Yahoo's junk and spam. I don't allow all my mail accounts (6) in Google. The non-Gmail ones are none of Google's business. If I go to a paid service to get rid of ads -----

Upvote 0
The non-Gmail ones are none of Google's business.

I wouldn't simply assume that Google is collecting information about other email accounts setup using the gmail app. It's simply acting as any other email client in this case but does provide a unified email client where you can check all your mail from one place. As someone who needs to check multiple email accounts from my phone, this was the best solution for me. YMMV depending on the types of accounts and how their email servers are configured.

Upvote 0
My biggest gripe against using Gmail's web PC browser portal is their total lack of me being able to use Keyboard access. ( have never once tried their proprietary app )

you can't read the Inbox unless you use the mouse, you can't reply unless you use the mouse, you can't delete unless you use the mouse.... all of that just pisses me off.

Yahoo at least, even with their PC browser accessible interface does honor all of the above. I can open an email and advance thru all of the other emails with the right/left arrow keys.

I can use a single keystroke "N" to activate "compose new email"...
I can use the "Delete key" to trash the email I am reading....

I can while looking at the Inbox, hold down the Shift Key and use the up/dn arrows to highlight several emails that I don't wish to view today, then touch the "Delete Key' and they all go to the Trash Bin.

very few email services accessible via a PC browser offer that kind of service.

Aqua Mail on the cellphone duplicates all of the above depending on how you configure it.

Upvote 0
I won't do Yahoo on a cell phone. Won't do any other social site, either.

I'll use the laptop - NoScript, Adblock, Block FB tracking, Block stuff from Google search which helps out Startpage. Toss all cookies, permissions, storage when the browser is closed.

I have Aquamail on the phone. I only use it for GMX. I don't use Gmail.

Upvote 0
I find the yahoo app a real battery suck - tried it and deleted it after a few days.

HUGE fan of Blue Mail, which handles all of my accounts in one place including a work owa one which no other mobile client would let me retrieve. Absolutely love this mail client. I wish I could find something similar for desktop!

Upvote 0
I like using the yahoo app. Incoming emails get automatically pushed to the app as soon as they are sent by the sender. Other apps require you to set a sync schedule. If the frequency is too low, there is a delay in getting your email. If the frequency is too high, the phone is always syncing without any emails coming in and uses up the battery.

I actually prefer an older version of the yahoo app which allows me to change font etc and has a nicer interface, at least imo, than the newer material design.

I prefer not using the browser. I do not like the time needed to log in and i do not like idea of being logged in all the time withe the browser. Personal preference on my part.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones