• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Yahoo Mail attachments as .bin files

raingoblin

Lurker
May 3, 2011
Hello there, fellow HD-philes.

So, on top of yesterday's whole dots-in-the-Google-search-box glitch I also have stopped being able to open attachments sent to my yahoo account.
It's fine via the stock 'Mail' button on the homescreen but when I access it on the web any attachments (so far pdf and rtf files) are met with this message
The content is not supported on the phone. No application cam be found to open this file. Do you still want to download it?
I'm given the options of 'Download' or 'Exit'.
When choosing 'download' it appears in notifications as '-1.bin' which, when clicked, does nothing (except clear off!).

This is a pain as I use email a lot for work and the stock mail app is pretty poor, not to mention it's propensity to empty the Inbox randomly.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated, ta.

I'm not a yahoo user my self, but it seems that the browser isn't compatible with the way their website handles downloads. Have you tried a different browser such as Dolphin HD? I don't think it would make much of a difference, but it's worth a shot.

As for the stock email app being problematic, have you considered using a different email app? K9 is supposedly a very good one, although I use the gmail app my self.

Reactions: raingoblin
Upvote 0
Thanks for your promptness Xyro!

I've done a bit of research (ie googling!) and see that a lot of people have had trouble with the Yahoo site but it's always been fine for me, opening all types of files without complaint. Until yesterday.

I'll look into K9and let you know how I get on, thanks.
I assume the gmail app is just for accessing gmail accounts....

Upvote 0
I assume the gmail app is just for accessing gmail accounts....

Yes and no. You see, you can set up your gmail account to pull emails from other addresses, as well as sending via those addresses, so it's almost perfect. But it only pulls emails via POP, which isn't instant, and you can't tell it how often to check. (The busier the email account is, the more often it will check). I can live with that delay for the way I use it, but it may not be ideal for you.

You could set up your work email to forward all email directly to your gmail account, but I've never investigated that so I don't know if there would be any complications.

I also don't know whether your bosses would be ok with you forwarding all of your emails to an another account, that depends on your situation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones